New Cameron Mackintosh muscial

Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#1
Posted: 2/1/10 at 7:12pm
Right at the end of the interview kindly posted by Paterson in the Les Mis tour thread, Cameron Mackintosh goes through his current workload and slips in that he's preparing a new musical for January next year - anyone happen to know anything about this? Usually his big shows are announced around a year in advance...

BBC Points West interview

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 2/1/10 at 07:12 PM
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#2
Posted: 2/1/10 at 7:39pm
well could it be private function or possibly barnum?
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#2
Posted: 2/1/10 at 8:24pm
I'm sure it was him that was presenting 'A Private Function' and being as Stiles and Drew are on the billing it could be this?
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#3
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:03am
Yes, its "Betty Blue Eyes" (A Private Function) he is presenting next year - aiming for the West End (one of his playhouse venues) Spring 2011.

Barnum I think is shelved. Wispers are Cameron is in talks with the recent Dreamgirls revival in the US and wants it to open at the Prince Edward next year
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#4
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:11am
As I said before when i posted the original thread on this productions announcement, it will have very limited appeal and now it has the appalling name of Betty Blue Eyes'!

Is this Cameron's next 'Moby Dick'?
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#5
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:26am
Im a big fan of Camerons, but his latest choices do seem a bit of a risk. Hair? Betty Blue Eyes? (would need very strong reviews out of town) Dreamgirls? None scream megahit.

Also what does he have against the UK, Les Mis tour according to that interview was meant to head off around the world after Paris, was only demand that bought it back to the UK for a few venues. Even then he is still missing a lot of the main ones.

With Mary Poppins he missed a load of the main venues to
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#6
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:30am
The 'Mary Poppins' tour of the UK was limited by the size of the large set.
If it tours again??? to smaller venues then the set will be redesigned.
It could be a similar case as 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang', when that toured. With each tour it got smaller and smaller.
I believe its a Lego car on stage at the moment!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#7
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:33am
lol but even Chitty did more venues first time round. Im sure Southampton, Bristol (Obviously), Sunderland could have taken Poppins?!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#8
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:37am
Believe it or not some theatres did actually have a few nerves about taking in 'Poppins' as it demanded such a run to break even.
It didn't sellout everywhere it played.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#9
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:38am
Agree the others are risks - but trying to get Dreamgirls to the Edward - I think would be a smash - everything would right about it being at that theatre and if they cast it well - I would say big big big hit!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#10
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:39am
haha yes I know that for a fact, wasnt going to mention it though lol. Chittys lack of success made everyone carefull
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#11
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:40am
chitty ran for just under 4 years! thats a pretty impressive run
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#12
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:46am
on tour I meant
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#13
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:47am
I'd completely forgotten about A Private Function - have to say that I'm really looking forward to it! I've grown a bit disenchanted with the London musical scene over the past year or two so the prospect of a brand new show and original score is quite exciting New Cameron Mackintosh muscial

Having said that (and just to throw any credibility I may have had out of the window), I also love Moby Dick as it is the first West End show that I actually clearly remember watching - I'd only seen hoary old amateur productions of South Pacific, Calamity Jane etc before and had no idea musicals could be fun...

Loved the Mary Poppins tour which could have gone to couple more venues (even returned to it's original home in Bristol), hope it returns soon. Never understood the appeal of Chitty beyond the stunning spectacle and fantastic first cast of the original London production...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 2/2/10 at 09:47 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#14
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:48am
'Dreamgirls' at the prince Edward would be a dream.
Not one I think we will see come true however.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#15
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:49am
Dreamgirls would need some big names Id have thought to sell out the Prince Edward
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#16
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:51am
I would love to see Dreamgirls done properly - I thought the film was OK, but have only watched it once and play the CD infrequently. WOuld love to actually see it staged in a theatre, even without the genius that Michael Bennett (apparently) brought to the original Broadway staging.

Updated On: 2/2/10 at 09:51 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#17
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:52am
'Jersey Boys' anyone?
No names.
Just about to enter its 3rd year!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#18
Posted: 2/2/10 at 9:55am
Jersey Boys has a name though, The Four Seasons and widely known songs
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#19
Posted: 2/2/10 at 10:01am
'Dreamgirls' doesn't go without a pretty good history.
That song has been sung by everyone for the last 30 years and now that the film has a soundtrack by Beyonce and the likes, I think it sits pretty good in the publics attention the moment.
That being said, he would have to work fast.
I also don't think he will do anything with a London production until it proves itself on Broadway again. The proposed Broadway opening is being put back again and again (Again!!!)
It isn't selling that brilliantly on tour in the U.s at the moment.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#20
Posted: 2/2/10 at 10:26am
Agree - the songs from Dreamgirls are more commonly now than ever. They are always sung on Xfactor, Americal Idol etc and the film raised the awareness fantastically.

I think, additionally, with a great cast (poss a few names) it can do amazing buisness. But i agree with Mamma - it would need to happen before the end of next year.

Jersey Boys sells well, not fantastically and they are now doing pretty open offers Mon-Fri. The show has done much better over here than I thought it would, but I think its a awful waste of a lovely theatre and stage. It should move to the Novello.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#21
Posted: 2/2/10 at 11:19am
If Dreamgirls made a transfer to the West End, technically it would be a new musical rather a revival since it never played in the West End in the same way that Me and My Girl won Best New Musical at The Tonys even though it was 40 years old at that point.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#22
Posted: 2/2/10 at 12:09pm
True - I guess it would be classed as a new musical
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#23
Posted: 2/2/10 at 12:42pm
Dreamgirls is quite mainstream in the UK. The songs from Dreamgirls are as recognizable to the general public as songs from Hairspray and the likes. It was a very popular film.
lotiloti Profile Photolotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New Cameron Mackintosh muscial#24
Posted: 2/2/10 at 4:54pm
As much as I love the score. I thought the original Broadway production of Dreamgirls was awful. I couldn't get out of the Imperial quick enough. It's only redeeming feature was Jennifer Holiday's sensational performance. Even now, it sends a shiver up my spine just remembering that voice.