The Ziegfeld Club, Inc. Announces the Return of the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award
The Ziegfeld Club, Inc. announces that they will offer the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award for the Fifth consecutive year in a row.
A prestigious grant in the amount of $10,000, The Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award aims to celebrate an emerging female composer or composer/lyricist who compellingly demonstrates outstanding artistic promise in musical theater composing and clearly demonstrates how the grant money & mentorship will further her artistic career,. Past recipients of the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award include composer/lyricist Masi Asare, composer Anna Jacobs, composer & singer Shaina Taub(Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812), and Lucille Lortel Award nominated composerJulianne Wick Davis (Southern Comfort).
In addition, the recipient receives one year of artistic and professional mentorship from a prominent Broadway composer or producer. Previous mentors include Tony Award-winning composerJeanine Tesori, Tony Award-winning producer Daryl Roth, composer Kristen Anderson-Lopez, producer Barbara Whitman, and Pulitzer Prize-winner Lynn Nottage.
The grant, which aims to celebrate an emerging female composer or composer/lyricist who compellingly demonstrates outstanding artistic promise in musical theater composing and clearly demonstrates how the grant money & mentorship will further her artistic career, will open to applicants beginning Monday, July 29, 2019. Those interested in applying for the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award must submit their application by Friday, August 23, 2019.
The recipient of the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award will be selected by a committee of industry professionals chosen by the Ziegfeld Club and will be presented at a private reception in New York City in November 2018.
Interested applicants can submit all application materials (see list below) via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following application materials are required for consideration:
- Demo recordings of 3 contrasting songs from at least two separate original works of musical theater. Professional recordings are appreciated but not necessary. Piano-and-vocals are sufficient. The songs should be sent as individual MP3 files, and labeled with both the candidate's name and the songs' titles (Last Name, First Name- Title). Applicants retain all copyright of their work. Please do not submit live recordings.
- Dramatic context and lyric sheets. Please include piano/vocal music, or scores if available.
- An Artistic Statement of one page or less (no more than 500 words) describing your work in musical theater, and how the Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award will aid you in your artistic and professional goals.
- A current Resume that lists your experience and production history as a musical theater composer. Applicants will be considered eligible as emerging artists if, in the judgment of the committee, they have not already received substantial recognition in American musical theater.
- A completed application form is available for download at www.theziegfeldclubinc.com/award-submissions/
*The recipient of The Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award will be awarded through Fractured Atlas, pending acceptance into their fiscal sponsorship program. For more information about Fractured Atlas and their fiscal sponsorship program, please visit www.fracturedatlas.org