Harold & Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust Hosts 12th Annual 'Mimi' Awards 1/13
The Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust today announced that the 12th-Annual "Mimi" Awards will be presented on Monday, January 13, 2020 at Lincoln Center Theater. The "Mimi" Awards are presented annually to honor the outstanding artistry and accomplishments of some of the most gifted American Playwrights.
The Steinberg Playwright Awards will celebrate two playwrights in early and middle stages of their careers, who have distinctive and compelling voices, and whose current bodies of work exhibit exceptional talent and artistic excellence. The awards celebrate the accomplishments of some of the most gifted up-and-coming American Playwrights and honor the promise they hold for the future of American theater. Each recipient will receive a cash award of $50,000. This year's honorees will be announced in September.
The Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award and Steinberg Playwright Awards are presented in alternate years. Past recipients include:
- Suzan-Lori Parks, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2018
- Ayad Akhtar and Lucas Hnath, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2017
- Sarah Ruhl, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2016
- Branden Jacobs-Jenkins and Dominique Morisseau, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2015
- Stephen Adly Guirgis, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2014
- Annie Baker and Rajiv Joseph, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2013
- David Henry Hwang, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2012
- Lisa D'Amour and Melissa James Gibson, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2011
- Lynn Nottage, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2010
- David Adjmi, Tarell Alvin McCraney and Bruce Norris, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2009
- Tony Kushner, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2008
Along with a monetary award, playwrights receive "The Mimi," a statuette designed by David Rockwell, Tony Award-nominated scenic designer and architect.
In 2008, the Board of Directors created an advisory committee of prominent theater professionals to establish the awards criteria, nominate individual candidates and select each recipient.
The 2019 Advisory Committee is comprised of Hana S. Sharif, Artistic Director, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis; Sarah Lunnie, Dramaturg; Oskar Eustis, Artistic Director, Public Theatre; Lynne Meadow, Artistic Director, Manhattan Theatre Club; Molly Smith, Artistic Director, Arena Stage; Kent Thompson, Theatre Director, Producer and Author; and Les Waters, Theatre Director.
The Board of Trustees of The Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust is made up of Carole A. Krumland, Susan C. Frunzi, James D. Steinberg, Michael A. Steinberg, Seth M. Weingarten, and William D. Zabel.
Photo Credit: Walter McBride / WM Photos