Dance/NYC Releases Statement, Commends Those Coming Forward with Stories of Sexual Harassment
Following yesterday's news that the New York City Ballet is investigating sexual harassment claims against Artistic Director Peter Martins, Dance/NYC has released its own statement on sexual harassment:
"Dance/NYC takes seriously harassment in all its forms. It commends the brave individuals who are coming forward in the performing arts and across all sectors to share their stories of sexual harassment and abuse. Dance/NYC also recognizes this as a defining moment to publicly acknowledge long-existing issues in the dance field and to address them and create positive change for the art form and its workforce. To that end, the organization seeks to provide resources for dance artists, educators, and administrators who have experienced and/or witnessed sexual harassment and abuse, and to prevent future sexual misconduct in the dance field.
"Dance/NYC will demonstrate its commitment by:
- Establishing an ad hoc committee to advise and assist on its activities to address sexual harassment in the field;
- Sharing model sexual harassment policies to guide constituents in crafting their own (Dance/NYC's sexual harassment policy is available here);
- Making connections to resources for survivors of sexual harassment;
- Providing resources and education focused on prevention;
- Hosting a town hall forum to share stories and chart a path forward (Stand by for a forthcoming invitation from Dance/NYC and Gibney Dance); and
- Collaborating with Dance/USA on national efforts."
Dance/NYC has also identified this list of sexual harassment resources in New York, which it will continue to update:
The Actors Fund, New York
American Guild of Musical Artists
www.musicalartists.org/faq-help/help- page/report-sexual- harrassment
Crime Victims Treatment Center
National Organization for Women, New York City
National Sexual Assault Hotline
New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault
New York City Bar Legal Referral Service
New York State Division of Human Rights
Public Theater's Sexual Misconduct Resources
Dance/NYC's mission is to promote and encourage the knowledge, appreciation, practice, and performance of dance in the metropolitan New York City area. It embeds core values of equity and inclusion into all aspects of its programs and operations. It works in alliance with Dance/USA, the national organization for professional dance. Visit Dance.NYC for more information.