Olivier nomination predictions 2014

Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/7/14 at 09:05am
Do you think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Once, Candide, The Book of Mormon, Commitments will feature at all come Olivier nomination day...? I think Scarlett Strallen will be a shoo-in for best actress in a musical for role in Candide; voters seem to love her. She has 2 previous noms for Singin' in the Rain and HMS Pinafore. What about Douglas Hodge - another Olivier darling; seems he'll get a nod for best actor in a musical... Anyone else?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/7/14 at 09:19am
Candide won't be eligible, I'm thinking Charlie, Mormon, Once and The Light Princess will get nominated for best musical.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/7/14 at 09:35am
I was thinking that Stephen Ward would be deserving of a best musical nod.

For best revival it is a straight fight between Merrily We Roll Along and The Sound of Music the only 2 possible nominations, but both are brilliant top draw productions.

To the O/P if doing an awards thread it is advisable to list the contenders under each category, or the herald runs out of steam very quickly.

Best play has to be Chiamerica, which really sums up a poor year for original plays.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/7/14 at 10:21am
While The Commitments might not get a Best Musical nomination, I think it would be a travesty if Killian Donnelly didn't get nominated for Lead Actor in a Musical. That guy works his ass off on that stage.

And though I didn't get to see Coriolanus in person, after seeing the screening, I won't be surprised when Tom Hiddleston gets nominated either. Won't be surprised if he wins, too. That is a brilliant performance he is giving, in my opinion.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/7/14 at 06:20pm
This is what I think, what can be nominated fir next seasons, obviously as it is a very crude guide, there are mistakes, so please correct me, if you see an error thanks.

Best Musical

Stephen Ward
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
I Can't Sing: The X Factor Musical
The Light Princess
The Commitments
Once
The Book Of Mormon
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
From Here To Eternity
Urinetown

Best Musical (Revival)

Merrily We Roll Along
Dirty Dancing
The Sound of Music
West Side Story (Sadler Wells)

Best Play

Chiamerica
The Night Alive
The Same Deep Water As Me
Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense
The Full Monty
Emil and the Detective
From Morning To Midnight
Other Desert Cities
Pride
The Duck House
Barking In Essex
A Season in the Congo
In The Next Room or the Vibrator Play
Home
Roots

Best Play(Revival)

Mojo
The Weir
Coriolanus (Donmar)
Fences
The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui
A Dolls House
Passion Play
Twelve Angry Men
Private Lives
Strangers On A Train
Henry V (Noel Coward)
A Midsummer's Night Dream (Noel Coward)
The Cripple of Innishmore
Amen Corner
King Lear (National)
Liola
Strange Interlude
Sweet Bird of Youth
Fortune Fool
To Kill A Mockingbird
Pride and Prejudice
Macbeth (Globe)
The Tempest (Globe)
Hot House
Ghosts
Relative Speaking
Quatermaine Terms
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/7/14 at 09:09pm
The cutoff date is February 25th so shows like I Can't Sing! or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels won't be eligible, Urinetown is at the St James so won't be eligible,.

Not sure Dirty Dancing and West Side Story are eligible since they're not revivals more return engagement, The Pride is a revival so would go into the Best revival as would Roots. Strangers on a Train is new so would be placed in Best Play and Other Desert Cities opens in March so not eligible. From Morning to midnight is a revival as well.

Not a good year for musical revivals with only Sound of Music and Merrily but best revival of a play is going to tough choosing just the nominations

Updated On: 2/7/14 at 09:09 PM
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 2/8/14 at 03:13am
Book Of Mormon or Once
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/8/14 at 03:50am
Best actor in a musical:
Damian Humbley - Merrily We Roll Along
Mark Umbers - Merrily We Roll Along
Gavin Creel - The Book of Mormon
Declan Bennett - Once
Douglas Hodge - Charlie... / Michael Xavier - The Sound of Music / Killian Donnelly - The Commitments

Best actress in a musical:
Charlotte Wakefield - The Sound of Music
Jenna Russell - Merrily We Roll Along
Alexia Khadime - The Book of Mormon
Zrinka Cvitesic - Once

Best supporting performance in a musical:
Josefina Gabrielle - Merrily We Roll Along
Stephen Ashfield - The Book of Mormon
Nigel Planer - Charlie...
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 2/8/14 at 04:06am
except Alexia is not leading
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/8/14 at 06:03am
Relative Speaking was a delight of a show.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/8/14 at 06:32am
Re Alexia not being leading...

Neither were Bertie Carvel (Matilda), Hannah Waddingham (Spamalot), Leigh Zimmerman (The Producers), Maureen Lipman (Thoroughly Modern Millie), Josette Bushell-Mingo (The Lion King), Alex Gaumond (Legally Blonde), John Bardon (Kiss Me Kate), Emil Wolk (Kiss Me Kate)... All arguably or most definitely featured/supporting roles put in leading categories. My bet is since Mormon doesn't have an overtly 'leading' actress, they'll but Alexia in that category to ensure a nomination... Plus the Oliviers up to this point have always merged the female and male supporting musical categories, and they only normally nominate four people there; usually those are more overtly supporting performances too. Normally, if a role is kind of lead, kind of supporting (a la Gaumond's Emmet in Legally Blonde), they'll push for leading, to make room for the real supporting performers.
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 2/8/14 at 06:46am
how is alexia khademe
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/8/14 at 09:33am
Edited list from suggestions so far:

Stephen Ward
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
I Can't Sing: The X Factor Musical
The Light Princess
The Commitments
Once
The Book Of Mormon
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
From Here To Eternity
Urinetown

Best Musical (Revival)

Merrily We Roll Along
Dirty Dancing
The Sound of Music
West Side Story (Sadler Wells)
Tell Me On A Sunday ****Added****

Best Play

Chiamerica
The Night Alive
The Same Deep Water As Me
Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense
The Full Monty
Emil and the Detective
From Morning To Midnight
Other Desert Cities
Pride
The Duck House
Barking In Essex
A Season in the Congo
In The Next Room or the Vibrator Play
Home
Roots
Strangers On A Train (Moved)

Best Play(Revival)

Mojo
The Weir
Coriolanus (Donmar)
Fences
The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui
A Dolls House
Passion Play
Twelve Angry Men
Private Lives
Strangers On A Train
Henry V (Noel Coward)
A Midsummer's Night Dream (Noel Coward)
The Cripple of Innishmore
Amen Corner
King Lear (National)
Liola
Strange Interlude
Sweet Bird of Youth
Fortune Fool
To Kill A Mockingbird
Pride and Prejudice
Macbeth (Globe)
The Tempest (Globe)
Hot House
Ghosts
Relative Speaking
Quatermaine Terms
The Pride (Moved)
Roots (Moved)
From Morning To Midnight (Moved)
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/8/14 at 10:15am
^ What about the National's Othello? I'd love to see Adrian Lester, Rory Kinnear and Lyndsey Marshall get noms for their roles.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/8/14 at 10:47am
I also thought Relative Speaking was fantastic, one of the best things I saw last year.

Think for best actor you could add Alexander Hanson (Stephen Ward), Darius Campbell (From Here To Eternity), Kyle Seatliffe (The Scottsboro Boys), Jared Gertner (Book of Mormon)

Best Actress Charlotte Spencer (Stephen Ward), Rosalie Craig (The Light Princess)

Best Supporting Actor Joanna Riding (Stephen Ward) Marc Antolin, Julie Armstrong, Robert Lonsdale (From Here To Eternity), Coleman Domingo, Forrest McClendo (Scottsboro Boys), Nigel Planer (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Clive Rowe (The Light Princess)
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/8/14 at 10:50am
Wasn't Othello last year? If not Adrian Lester and Rory Kinnear definitely deserve nominations.
jman16
Swing
Posted: 2/8/14 at 12:57pm
Surely Robert Lonsdale is the lead in 'From Here to Eternity', not Darius? I hope Alexander Hanson gets nominated for Stephen Ward - he was the best thing about it!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/8/14 at 02:39pm
Not going to attempt any "predictions" as I have no clue how the people who vote will decide. But this how I would vote in some of the categories:
Best Musical ONCE
Best Musical Revival MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Best Actor In A Musical KILLIAN DONNELLY (The Commitments)
Best Actress In A Musical JENNA RUSSELL (Merrily We Roll Along)
Best Supporting Performance In A Musical DAMIAN HUMBLEY (Merrily We Roll Along) - unless his performance is considered to be in a Leading Role, in which case my Best Supporting vote would go to JOS SLOVICK in Once.

Regarding another matter raised in a previous post - Robert Lonsdale would definitely be up for Best Leading Actor rather than Supporting - Prewitt is definitely the main character in FHTE.

THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)*****
Updated On: 2/8/14 at 02:39 PM
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/8/14 at 03:18pm
Humbley should be considered lead with Umbers IMO... He was brilliant and truly deserves a nod... Daniel Evans won the 2001 best actor in a musical award for his performance as Charley in the Donmar's Merrily.
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 2/8/14 at 04:06pm
I personally think the much simpler and less flashy Once will win against the Over The Top Book of Mormon
jman16
Swing
Posted: 2/8/14 at 04:10pm
Best musical is definitely going to be an interesting one. Personally, I would vote for for Mormon. It's everything I love in a musical. Once was beautiful, but dull.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/8/14 at 05:38pm
^ Perfectly put, it did come across as pallid, not as good as the New York production. Personally with all the unbearable din surrounding Book of Mormon, which incidentally would be my choice, It wouldn't surprise me if The Scottsboro Boys won best musical, which Imsee these 3 along with Stephen Ward being nominated for best musical.

I could see Mark Umbers winning leading actor with Doglas Hodge, Alexander Hanson, Declan Bennett and Gavin Creel being nominated.

With Charlotte Wakefield winning best female, with Jenna Russell, Zrinka Cvitesic, Charlotte Spencer, Rosalie Craig all getting norms.

Best Supporting (this category seriously ****ed up, why have one for both sexes and seperate for best supporting for plays), for this I think Alexia Khadime will win and Stephen Ashfield, Joanna Riding, Nigel Planer and Marc Antolin all getting through.

Merrily We Roll Along will win best revival.

Chiamerica will win best play with Jeeves and Wooster, A Season in the Congo, the Night Alive being nominated.

Best revival, (with so many entrants these awards should be split into two modern/classic revival.) This won should be Sweet Bird of Youth, with Henry V, Relative Speaking and The Weir being nominated.
wheety1621
Chorus Member
Posted: 2/8/14 at 09:50pm
Regarding St. James Theatre not being eligible... 2013 Olivier's - 'Cinderella - A Fairytale' was nominated in the 'Best Entertainment and Family' catergory
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 2/8/14 at 11:28pm
I just think Once while a Movie Musical is a fantastic musical with fantastic songs and plays more towards a British Audience
kookiem305
Swing
Posted: 3/5/14 at 08:38pm
Bump
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/6/14 at 10:53am
On the musical nominations side, I'm expecting Once and Book of Mormon to sweep. I'm wary of support for Merrily unfortunately I'm assuming it's only going to be nommed for best revival of a musical, and nothing more. I would imagine its performers will be forgotten due to the onslaught of talent in Mormon which is bound to get 3+ acting nods. I fear my beloved Jenna Russell will be bumped for someone else.

Page:

Message Board

Rock You out by May? 40 Posts

BWW BLOGS