Blithe Spirit starring Angela Lansbury, Duchess Theatre in February 2014?

Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
A pretty reliable poster on WOS is saying this is happening but the thing that seems odd is the theatre choice. Anyone heard anything?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
It is a bit small, would have thought the bigger playhouses like Gielgud, Garrick etc would be better choices but it'll be a hit nonetheless.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
I'd be surprised... The Broadway show commands a bigger stage unless it's a rework or brand new production.

Last I heard they were looking at Vaudeville, Garrick and Gielgud for next Spring...but that was a while ago back in August when they failed to secure Haymarket. The Haymarket was what Lansbury really wanted so after hearing not much I presumed the production was shelved. Perhaps it is still going ahead, I just can't see it at the Duchess but stanger things have happened! Fingers crossed. Be great to see.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
That's the thing, I'm sure theatre owners would offer their best available theatre for something like Blithe Spirit with Angela Lansbury, not that the Duchess is a bad venue but its not one I'd consider for a show like this unless plays have already been lined up for the bigger venues.
Will42
Broadway Star
It's a real shame that Angela Lansbury didn't get her wish to perform at The Haymarket and a February date also means that Ms. Lansbury will miss the Academy Awards in March.
The honorary awards now have their own special event on November 16, but honorees still get a shall segment on the main telecast.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
You would of thought the producers would of waited until 'Fatal Attraction' finishes its 3/4 month run.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
I'm not expecting much of Fatal Attraction either but i'm sure it will manage a whole month at least .
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
I don't think this is accurate.
Will42
Broadway Star
Bunes
Swing
thanks when does one book.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
This will be a bih hit.

Funnily enough recently there was a production of Blithe Spirit recently next door in th Apollo with an excellent alison Steadman and Ruth Henshall
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Tickets are now on sale for Blithe Spirit with Angela Lansbury. It's playing at the Gielgud not the Duchess as shown in the subject heading.

I'm very excited at the prospect of seeing Ms Lansbury on the London stage. I've never had the chance to see her so this really is a must see for me.
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
I already have my ticket for a Saturday night in march!! I am not missing out on seeing Angela on stage. Love her as Eglantine Price in Bedknobs and Broomsticks so I'm seeing her in blithe spirit!!
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
hanschens
Stand-by
I just booked tickets for my mother and I to see this! I grew up watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Murder, She Wrote and after missing out on seeing Angela in A Little Night Music we really didn't want to miss this!
Paulmerion
Swing
I am wondering should I see this I have seen her in Driving but it will mean I have to miss out on Uni in Aust.
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
It would seem pretty rude to miss this, would have preferred to see her in a musical, but it's a fun play.
Will42
Broadway Star

Official poster.
I wonder if Angela Lansbury will complete in Best Actress of Featured Actress category.

Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Awful poster. Surprised they couldnt do better than that

Message Board

BWW BLOGS