Eric Woolfson's SOMEWHERE IN THE AUDIENCE Set for March 18 Release
Eric Woolfson'S SOMEWHERE IN THE AUDIENCE is set for release 18th March 2013 on Limelight Records. The alumb will be released on the anniversary of what would have been the late Eric Woolfson's 68th birthday. 'Somewhere in the Audience' is a compilation of music from four of Eric's musicals 'GAUDI', 'GAMBLER', 'POE' and 'DANCING SHADOWS'.
Vocalists include leading West End and Broadway performers, who have lent their talents to recording new vocals for a selection of songs from Woolfson's musicals including:
Sharon D Clarke (Ghost the musical)
Jacqui Dankworth (Les Miserables) www.jacquidankworth.com
The late Eric Woolfson was the creator, songwriter and lyricist of The Alan Parsons Project, which has sold over 50 million albums world-wide and continues to sell and be used in films and adverts internationally. After completing the final APP album in 1986 Eric turned his attention to musical theatre - a seemingly natural progression as he always wrote concept albums with a theme or story in mind. As the APP never toured, seeing his material come to life on the musical stage brought Eric tremendous satisfaction and enjoyment.
The musicals have all had great success on stages in Europe and Asia. It was Eric's ambition to have these shows presented on stages in the West End and Broadway and it is hoped this will become a reality soon helped by the launch of this stunning album.
GAUDI -Eric initially wrote the last Alan Parsons Project album 'Gaudi' inspired by the work of the great Catalonian architect, Antonio Gaudi. He encountered Gaudi architecture whilst on a visit to Barcelona for a PR tour of an earlier APP album and it became one of his favourite cities. Some songs from the APP album were rearranged for the musical along with many songs written especially for the show. It follows the struggle of a young author in Barcelona who is writing a book about Gaudi, and has to make the impossible choice between his art, true love and the lure of money. 'Gaudi' had its premiere in Germany in 1993 and was eventually moved to a theatre which was built especially for it where it ran for four years and was seen by over half a million people.
GAMBLER - Eric wrote two APP albums inspired by gambling - 'Turn of a Friendly Card' and 'Eye in the Sky'. In 1996 he combined some of the music from these albums with new compositions for a musical inspired by Dostoyevsky's short story of the same name. The musical follows the fate of a young man who thinks he finds the key to winning in the casino. GAMBLER premiered in Germany in 1996 and ran for 18 months. Seven productions of the show have also been staged in Korea including one that toured Japan (a first for South East Asian theatre).
- Atlanta Lyric Theatre to Stage SOPHISTICATED LADIES, 1/3-19
- Katie Rubin's WHY I DIED, A COMEDY Extends at Atwater Village Theatre thru Feb 27
- Alex Prager's FACE IN THE CROWD Exhibition to Open 1/9 at Lehmann Maupin
- Tarragon Receives More Than $100K From Ontario Trillium Foundation
- CHRISTMAS BELLES to Open 12/13 at Runway Theatre
- Dr. Joy DeGruy to Speak on 'Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome' at African Burial Ground National Monument, 12/14
- Andrea Chapin to Interview Mercedes Ruehl for Next 'Oral History' at NYPL, 1/13
- Canadian Rep to Present English Debut of PACAMAMBO, Jan 21-Feb 2
- Three One-Acts Set for Surfside Players in THE UNEXPECTED, 12/12-15
- Ravi Batista to Star in Soul Theatre's BLASTED FOOL, 12/19-1/5