SOUND OFF: Twelve Reasons To Be Thankful For GLEE
Today we are counting down twelve very valid reasons why Glee is something to be thankful for this holiday season, particularly last night's wacky Thanksgiving episode (though no turkeys were involved, alas).
Turkey Day Top Twelve
12. Blaine Jong-il - man-struating or puppet master? Both! As we came to find out, Darren Criss can do it all - and scored major points with a "You're My Best Friend" that Queen's Freddie Mercury himself would probably have been proud to befriend. Actually, "Puppet Master" - directed by Paul McCrane and written by Matthew Hodgson - was an amusing showcase for Blaine all around (and Sue, too).
11. Pamela Lansbury's fantasy cover of "Into The Groove" - which was somehow even more fabulous than it sounds (really)! Kurt (Chris Colfer), Rachel (Lea Michele), Santana (Naya Rivera) with guest standouts Starchild (Adam Lambert) and Dani (Demi Lovato) make Madonna magic.
10. Sue Sylvester's Principal Evaluation - Jane Lynch can deliver lofty, egoistic platitudes like "Let me be your champion" like no one else, proving it once again last night with her fierce superintendent exchanges (and elsewhere).
9. Sue's 1980s Flashback - Stevie Nicks 'do, A-ha soundtrack, Laura Ashley attire... is that really the woman from whom Sue somehow grew?! Apparently so. Shocking - and totally rad. Bonus points for the makeover look later on, as well.
8. Brad (Brad Ellis) speaks! Yes, for the first time in a long, long while (and only the second time ever on the show), with no less than a gambling-related revelation derived from the man behind the music, at the piano in virtually every New Directions number.
7. Puppets - in nearly every shape, size, sexual orientation and style; the vast colorful, wide-ranging rainbow of GLEE!
6. Jake (Jacob Artist) and Marley (Melissa Benoist)'s sassy "Nasty Boys" mash-up with Bree (Erinn Westbrook)'s Janet Jackson homage, "Rhythm Nation". So good you want to grab a metal fence (preferably in vivid black and white)! Plus: pregnant?!
5. Mr. Schue (Matthew Morrison) and Sue's delightfully elegant and grand Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers song sequence - "Cheek To Cheek". Heaven, indeed (with more black and white mise en scene to enjoy in this ep).
4. Split-screen! Brian De Palma eat your heart out! Blaine and Kurt's repeated split-screen conversations punctuated the hour with eye-popping visuals to go with the neon colors and bigger-than-life emotions characteristic of the lovebirds.
3. Blaine's one-man scene - well, all things considered, does Tina (Jenna Ushkowitz) really count, anyway? Admittedly, that's rather sad, but also quite true! We're talking about the puppet version, right? Right.
2. Animal face masks! An assortment worthy of Noah's Ark. And...
1. Five words: "What Does The FOX Say"? One more: Again!
Next week? The twelve most wonderful days of Glee Christmas!
Photo Credits: FOX
More On: Glee, Darren Criss, Freddie Mercury, Paul McCrane, Chris Colfer, Lea Michele, Santana, Naya Rivera, Adam Lambert, Demi Lovato.