George Bradt Releases FIRST-TIME LEADER
George Bradt, the executive onboarding guru best known for his book The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan, and Gillian Davis have released a book for new leaders titled First-Time Leader: Foundational Tools for Inspiring and Enabling Your New Team (WILEY; February 2014; Hardcover & e-book; $25; ISBN: 978-1-118-82812-0)
Many people become effective leaders only after making mistakes - sometimes a lot of mistakes. But
first-time leaders shouldn't have to go through this unnecessary pain, Bradt and Davis argue in this essential guidebook for new leaders. By following the strategic framework within First-Time Leader, new leaders will learn how to avoid the pitfalls that can hinder achievement and instead accelerate their path to success.
"First-time leaders don't need to create fancy new products or have a magnetic personality to succeed," says Bradt, the managing director of the executive onboarding consulting firm PrimeGenesis. "The long-term path to effective leadership is identifying a purpose-driven future and rallying the team around it. This can be learned. Charisma cannot."
First-Time Leader advises new leaders on how to take charge of and work with their team by using these BRAVE leadership components from the outside in:
- Environment: Setting the context for everything else by understanding the historical background and competitive environment in which you are playing
- Values: Understanding your mission and getting clear on what really matters and why
- Attitude: Learning and observing the current strategy before trying to change things
- Relationships: Understanding the heart of leadership. If you can't connect, you can't lead
- Behaviors: Determining the course of action that will make a lasting impact on others
As a first-time leader herself, Davis did not feel there was an adequate resource that was devoted to help first-time leaders lead. She knew she didn't want to manage; she wanted to inspire her team to buy into the vision, and be able to create a long-term legacy. Unlike other books on leadership, First-Time Leader helps people become leaders by teaching them how to unite their team. It provides strategies for preparing for the leadership role, hiring the right people and developing a 100-day plan, as well as tips for leading small, medium and large teams - each of which requires a unique approach.