Printer Friendly - Christian Borle's replacement

Christian Borle's replacement
Posted by navnisinger 2012-07-10 17:52:22

Has anyone seen Peter and the Starcatcher since Christian left? How is his replacement?

Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-10 17:56:56

Yup. I saw him last Friday night. I'd seen Borle previously, but my kids had not. They loved the show.

He's missing the over the top element that made Borle such a standout. Some will think its the way the show should be, a more even ensemble piece, but I did feel some of the laughs were gone and the energy a tad lacking.

Don't get me wrong, it was still an entertaining evening and I'd still reccomend the show to most people.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2012-07-10 17:57:50

He has a name, and it's Matthew Saldivar.

Posted by Polka Dot2 2012-07-10 23:52:53

I saw Christian Borle at NYTW and loved him. I bought tickets in advance for last weekend but was really disappointed when he said he was leaving. I saw Matthew and didn't care for him. Christian was wonderfully over the top and made so many hilariously specific choices. Matthew just didn't do it for me. Maybe he'll grow into the role a little more. I'm hoping that Christian will come back after he's done filming Smash.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2012-07-10 23:58:49

I've never "got" Matthew Saldivar, and I groaned when I read he was the replacement. I was really hoping I would be proved wrong, but first impressions aren't so much.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-11 00:16:31

Sadly, I don't think Peter will be around long enough for Borle to return. Hope I'm wrong!

Posted by jdrye222 2012-07-11 02:46:23

I saw him last week, and was expecting he would be fired this week (a la Henry Goodman) because he really dropped the ball in more than a few scenes, and had absolutely no comic timing or stage presence.

Posted by adamgreer 2012-07-11 04:53:34

I haven't seen Salvidar, but I was a little depressed to learn of his casting. I was hoping they could find someone with a more over the top presence.

All these negative reviews of Salvidar are quite upsetting. Maybe I should just keep my memories of Christian Borle and not return.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-11 07:49:12

I wouldn't say mine was negative. I'm just saying he's not as bold as Borle. Did I like Borle better, yes, but I didn't dislike Salvidar.

Posted by newintown 2012-07-11 10:10:45

Saldivar is talented, but he's always a negative presence on stage, coming across as a sullen serial killer. Funny doesn't come to him easily.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2012-07-11 10:14:36

Aw, this is all too bad. I'm curious enough, though, since I thought he was the highlight of the South Pacific tour.

Posted by Kad 2012-07-11 10:18:34

I'd really like to see Carson Elrod go on as Black Stache.

Posted by willep 2012-07-11 11:40:03

This is making me even more sad that I wasn't able to make it to the city in time to see Borle in the show.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-11 11:48:43

Borle's hard to replace, that's for sure. The only show I enjoyed a replacement/understudy for Borle was Legally Blonde. But that's because his understudy was the now-leading-man Andy Karl.

Posted by broadwaygirl99 2012-07-11 12:49:24

I was really hoping Santino Fontana would replace Christian. He has such presence and when he performs he performs 120% just like Christian. He is an up and coming star and I think he would have a great job. Maybe they can put him if they replace Matt.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-11 12:50:52

I love Santino too, but he's attached to the Cinderella workshop.

Posted by broadwaygirl99 2012-07-11 13:09:41

They couldn't let him do it for a couple of months? To keep ot open before Christian possibly comes back? I didn't know you couldn't do anything else while you are workshopping a show.
Oh and I meant to write do a good job not have a good job. I mean he would have a great job but its not what I meant to write :P

Posted by Back Row 2012-07-11 13:38:09

Speaking of over the top, what is Mitch Jarvis doing these days?

Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-11 13:56:00

Shows prefer to have long term commitments from people. They certainly.make allowances for names but not your average workaday actor.

There is nothing that would prohibit someone from taking another job as long as timing worked out.

If they were even remotely interested in him.

Posted by little_sally 2012-07-11 14:03:30

Maybe we should give Matthew Saldivar more than a week before we start trying to replace him.

Posted by newintown 2012-07-11 14:16:20

Because, as we all know, no actor is really ready to give a performance of any value until they've had at least a month to play it in front of paying customers (after several weeks of full-time rehearsal).

Posted by jayinchelsea 2012-07-11 17:32:09

I didn't get to PETER until Christian's last week, and from what I'm reading, I'm glad I didn't wait. Yes, he was brilliantly over the top, and I loved him and the play itself.

But it really is too early to over judge Matthew. Christian was a very big presence, and it will take anyone a while to fill his spot. Let's give him a chance, guys.

And the show is already hurting, as business was down significantly after Christian left, so let's keep it going, it's a great show.

Posted by BwayGeek2 2012-07-11 17:35:32

Aw, I love Matthew Saldivar. If I see the show again to see him in it, I look forward to seeing him in the role...

Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-11 18:30:50

"Because, as we all know, no actor is really ready to give a performance of any value until they've had at least a month to play it in front of paying customers (after several weeks of full-time rehearsal)."

I know you're being sarcastic but this drives me up a wall. The people in this thread saying it's "too early" to judge Matt are morons. Everyone paying 120$ to see Matt onstage can't judge him because he's not settled into the part yet? Really? You know what, if you're doing paid performances, you better be ready to go. It's Broadway, not a regional production of Oklahoma in bumf*ck nowhere. I'm so sick of people saying that actors need to be given time. They absolutely do not. It is their job to get onstage and give 110% and give their best performance every night. And if they don't, or aren't, that is on them and people are more than entitled to judge the performance that they saw accordingly.

Posted by newintown 2012-07-12 10:14:44

Exactly. They're professionals on Broadway who have had significant rehearsal time. You can and should judge them.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-12 15:09:20

Well, to be fair, replacements do NOT get significant rehearsal time. They get some rehearsal with the stage manager and some understudies. It is not uncommon for their first run with the entire cast to be their first performance.

A lot of their prep time is WATCHING the show.

That being said, since MOST audience members could care less about whether it is the actor's first or 101st performance. And they deserve not to know/care.

Its hard to judge grosses the week AFTER the Tony Award winning actor leaves. Their grosses were strong from the Tonys and because Borle was leaving. It's not like this was playing to 100% capacity through most of its run and took a nose dive when Borle left. The last few weeks lots of folks made sure to catch it before he left.

In fact, Peter only made it into the 90% capacity during Borle's last two weeks. It's only averaging some like a 75% capacity throughout its' run.

Posted by newintown 2012-07-12 15:27:39

On Broadway, every major character's replacement gets at least one put-in rehearsal with the full cast, if not more.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-12 16:43:48

"Well, to be fair, replacements do NOT get significant rehearsal time. They get some rehearsal with the stage manager and some understudies. It is not uncommon for their first run with the entire cast to be their first performance."

That's not true. It is 100% required that replacements get a put-in with the full cast, as newintown said, and they usually have 2 weeks of rehearsal with the dance captain, musical director, stage manager, other understudies, and sometimes if they're lucky with some of the creative team. Though that all obviously depends on how large the part is and how "important" the replacement is.

Broadway is always, replacement or not, about having your feet put to the fire. It's not an easy career and always being "on" when you set foot on that stage is a huge part of it. There are very few legitimate excuses for not giving your best performance for a crowd of people who have paid 100$ to see you, and "I didn't have enough time to rehearse" is not one of them.

Posted by HBP 2012-08-03 11:42:14

I saw the show for the second time last night and I must say, it hasn't lost any of its magic. Matthew Saldivar holds his own and the rest of the cast is just as great as it was a few months ago. My family, seeing it for the first time, loved the show and Saldivar. There were a few moments where I was thinking "Christian Borle made that way funnier," but he wasn't too sorely missed as Saldivar was pretty hilarious at times. I'm glad I saw Borle and definitely think he was the best part of a great ensemble & deserved that Tony, but I would absolutely still recommend the show, if you haven't seen it yet!

Posted by little_sally 2012-08-03 12:51:16

I saw the show again last night and while I really liked Matthew Saldivar in the role (and I'm a big fan of his in general), I really did miss Christian Borle. Borle was a bit more outrageous in the role, and Blackstache's final scene really worked better with him.

Posted by The Distinctive Baritone 2012-08-03 13:32:12

From what I have read here, we may have a case of a "serious" classical actor (who has done a couple of musicals) stepping into a role that requires a level of camp he may not feel comfortable producing. But I haven't seen the show so I dunno...

Posted by little_sally 2012-08-03 13:59:52

I think that's right; the camp is definitely, definitely missing from Saldivar's performance. The line about the crocodile eating the scenery didn't land as well last night because of that.

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-02 03:43:16

Just to weigh in/restart this discussion...

I saw the show on the 18th (My birthday, as a matter of fact) and by now it seems like Saldivar has definitely gotten ahold of the camp. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 2+ minutes of silent agony he has managed to insert into the final scene (the "Ohmigod" moment, so not to spoil it too badly for the uninitiated). I loved the choice...you want to talk about over the top? Try milking a reaction take for two minutes without saying a word. The laughter buildt, died down, and then would ripple through the audience, but never totally stopped. It was great comedy. It went from funny to hilarious to funny to amusing to funny again to hilarious. Brilliant. Is this something of Borle's? I don't recall him doing it, at least not in the preview performance I caught.

While I may have preferred Borle's absolute madness in the long run, Saldivar had an insanity all his own and is easily up to the role's bizarro physical comedy. It doesn't hurt that with the Stache, he REALLY resembles Groucho Marx. They've added a gag into his first entrance so he now comes in with a cigar; it's sidesplitting. Bravo. Curious to hear the thoughts of anyone else whose seen the show recently.

I'd also like to add that I saw Understudy Jason Ralph as the Boy, who was very fine indeed.

Posted by Movidude742 2012-11-02 07:54:19

I saw one of Borle's final weeks, and then again at the end of Septemeber. I thought Saldivar was pretty good. I did particularly like the way his stache and some of his moments were nice riffs on Groucho Marx.

I had enough distance between performances that he did not suffer from comparison as I was watching.