Printer Friendly - Megan Mullally turns down Sally in Nunn's FOLLIES....

Megan Mullally turns down Sally in Nunn's FOLLIES....
Posted by ljay889 2011-01-06 17:49:56

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/01/06/megan-mullally-how-she-turned-down-stephen-sondheim

I think she'd be awful in that role. I'd be shocked if Maria Friedman doesn't end up doing it. Bernadette Peters reportedly wanted to this production in addition to the DC production to guarantee that she'd play the role on Broadway regardless of which production transfers. But it was reported she wouldn't be able to commit to Nunn's production.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2011-01-06 18:28:27

Nice to see a gal who knows her limits.

Posted by broadwaybabytn 2011-01-06 19:28:14

chance for bernadette???

Posted by ljay889 2011-01-06 19:30:09

None. It was reported she's not able to do the London production.

Posted by broadwaybabytn 2011-01-06 19:33:14

prior engagements or what??

i'd love to see donna murphy in follies as well.

Posted by givesmevoice 2011-01-06 19:46:59

Donna Murphy played Phyllis in the 2007 Encores production of Follies and she was divine.

Posted by esparza 333 2011-01-06 22:31:27

Megan Mullally? don't get me wrong I love her but she is not right for Sally. She made the right decision. And gotta love Donna Murphy. Her Could I Leave You from the Sondheim Concert is enough to convince me of her as Phyllis. Can't wait for the Kennedy Center production. If it is successful I would prefer it to transfer to bway then Nunn's production.

Posted by PalJoey 2011-01-06 23:20:14

Megan Mullally would be very funny as Sally.

A laugh riot.

When did Trevor Nunn become a director with stinky instincts?

I remember when he was great. What happened?

Posted by AnythingGoes2 2011-01-07 05:04:04

I think all professional productions of "Follies" - DC, Broadway, London etc depend on Ms Peters calendar!

Posted by A NIce Macaroon 2011-01-07 06:43:17

Oh Puh-leez, we all know Nunn wants Dakota Fanning for Sally and Abigail Breslin for Phyllis.

Posted by backwoodsbarbie 2011-01-07 08:15:08

According to the article, Mullally turned down the part because she didn't want to be away from her aging mother for such a long period of time. I'd love to know if she would have taken the part if it hadn't been for her mother's condition or if she had been offered the part in DC.

Posted by Scripps2 2011-01-07 08:52:54

"I'd be shocked if Maria Friedman doesn't end up doing it."

A few of my Sondbuds are suffering from over-exposure to Maria Friedman.

Posted by sallyann 2011-01-08 22:26:12

Megan mentioned this back in October during an interview and my understanding is that she would have loved to have done it but it was just too far away from her mother. No idea if she would have done the DC gig if she had been offered it.

Posted by qolbinau 2013-02-22 18:23:28

Interestingly at her concert in Sydney she claimed that the production didn't eventuate because of the NYC production, then she sung Losing My Mind. (She also sung Broadway Baby and Could I Leave You? from FOLLIES).

Posted by choitoy 2013-02-22 18:58:47

I am a big Megan Mullally fan, and I think she would be horribly miscast in an actual production of "Follies" as Sally (Carlotta would be OK). But I think she would do a wonderful job singing Sally's songs in a standalone concert or CD without having to act the songs necessarily.

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-02-22 19:05:40

Based on her CDs, Megan Mullally can sing just about anything. The result may not be the time-capsule version of the song, but it will sure as hell be interesting.

(I agree, however, that she is very wrong for Sally. I'd love to see her as Carlotta.)

Posted by Leadingplayer 2013-02-22 23:39:50

I still hate that we didn't get to see her in Lips Together Teeth Apart....that is an incredibly funny role and I think she'd have killed in it.

Posted by The Josh 2013-02-22 23:55:17

I'd love to see her come back to Broadway. Maybe in something with her husband, Nick Offerman?

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-02-23 00:13:23

I could see her as Phyllis or Carlotta (talk about a HILARIOUS Carlotta), but not really Sally. I love her to pieces, but I just don't see it working. She's the right age and could probably sing it quite well, but there's just something about her that doesn't seem right for the role.

Posted by Addison D. 2013-02-23 00:13:41

^^Agreed.

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-02-23 05:08:25

but there's just something about her that doesn't seem right for the role

I agree. I think all of Mullally's characters (including a minor guest starring role from the late 80s/early 90s on WINGS) just scream "quirky".

Sally is the opposite of quirky. She may even be clinically insane, but she's as normal as apple pie.

For the same reason, I don't see Mullally as Phyllis. I think we already saw Mullally's very funny version of Phyllis on WILL AND GRACE.

But of course Mullally's very smart and wouldn't play Phyllis or Sally so broadly, so perhaps I'm not being fair to what she would do with a "straight" role.

Posted by random person 112 2013-02-23 09:49:28

I think she could do any of the main female roles in follies if she wanted. Have any of you seen season six of Will and Grace when Stan goes to Jail? In it Megan got to do some pretty hard hitting scenes that focused on Karens loss and loneliness after Stan was gone and how painful it was to lose him. Very Sally indeed.

Posted by somethingwicked 2013-02-23 09:52:11

Megan Mullally as Sally opposite Nick Offerman as Buddy would be quite a sight to see.

Posted by SondheimFan5 2013-02-23 10:46:33

Didn't she get offered Reno in AG at the Roundabout too?
And weren't Reba and Donna Murphy also offered the part but they turned it down?

Posted by Owen22 2013-02-23 10:59:37

Oh please, let the woman ACT. Don't judge her on past roles or on her persona.

I saw her do the Jayne Houdyshell role in "The Receptionist" in LA, and though primarily a comedic part, she had a whole lot more shadings than the characters she's played on TV.

Posted by followspot 2013-02-23 11:11:30

I imagine Nunn offering Buddy to Patton Oswalt didn't help.

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-02-23 19:29:18

@random person: For the record, I NEVER said Megan Mullally can't play pathos.

I wrote that her persona strikes me as "off-beat" in everything I've ever seen her do. Sally and Phyllis are quintessential conformists.

It should go without saying that I would love to be proved wrong.

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-02-23 20:36:42

I could see her as Reno. Hell, there's still time. She's aging beautifully. Did she turn it down? She'd have been wonderful in that role.

Really, I don't think there's anything she can't do. I just don't see her as a Sally for some reason, although, sometimes, the strangest casting ends up being the best. I didn't think someone like Tyne Daly would work as Rose and she's probably my favorite to date.

Posted by Bettyboy72 2013-02-23 20:43:38

If you listen to any of Mullaly's CDs or have seen her in concert, you will see she can go very dark and very deep. It's a shame she is synonymous with that awful Karen Walker.
I think she would be a fantastic Sally but audiences might not be willing to go there with her. (As this thread is proving.)

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-02-23 21:04:35

It is a damn shame she's almost in a trap of Karen. At the start of Young Frankenstein she was doing her own, new take on Elizabeth. I'm not saying she was amazing, but it was different. Towards the end of her run she was doing literal Karen schtick that didn't fit the character but the audience ate it up. She finally must have gotten bored and thought "give 'em what they want."

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-02-23 21:39:16

Bettyboy, all "fantasy" casting is speculative at best. I'm basing my speculation on many roles other than Karen Walker. And I readily admit I could be wrong.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a ticket to see Mullally in anything. But if we're talking about ideal FOLLIES casting, she isn't at the top of my list for Sally or Phyllis.

This has nothing to do with thinking she can only play Karen Walker. Her CDs prove her to do a great job with Brecht/Weill numbers and even country. Her "Danny Boy", which includes the gory, over-the-top second verse, is chilling when it could easily be ridiculous.

But in each case, Mullally reaches for the most extreme or off-beat choice (and usually nails it). I think that's what she LIKES to do, but it isn't ideal for certain roles. IMO, of course.