WAKE UP with BWW 8/5/14 - KING LEAR and 'SUNDAY' in the Park, Fitzgerald as Flynn in CHICAGO and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: KING LEAR opens at Shakespeare in the Park, and SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE begins in D.C., plus Christopher Fitzgerald returns to CHICAGO in a new role and more!
Next up in our series of Broadway stars introducing BWW's morning feature is Nellie McKay (portrait by Walter McBride), who appeared in 2006's The Threepenny Opera. Soak up McKay's demure charm and scroll down to peruse the news!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- KING LEAR opens tonight in Central Park with the fabulous John Lithgow -- flash back to his 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN days below!
- Christopher Fitzgerald rejoins CHICAGO as 'Billy Flynn' tonight; he originally debuted as 'Amos Hart' last fall.
- 1950s America takes the spotlight in Signature's AND I AND SILENCE, beginning tonight off-Broadway...
- And Signature Theatre's SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE begins performances in D.C. with an all-star cast!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Keke Palmer will make history as the first African-American CINDERELLA on Broadway this fall!
- David Josefsberg, Nancy Opel and Matthew Saldivar have boarded HONEYMOON IN VEGAS.
- Michael Rupert, Allison Guinn, Phillip Boykin and Stephen DeRosa complete the cast of Broadway's ON THE TOWN Broadway revival...
- WICKED's UK tour welcomed Ashleigh Gray, Emily Tierney and Samuel Edwards to the roster. Click here for the full cast!
- We got a first look (right) at Chita Rivera and more in WTF's THE VISIT!
- Broadway couple Stephanie J. Block and Sebastian Arcelus are expecting their first child!
- And finally, don't forget to nominate your favorite recordings for the First Annual BWW Album Awards...
Broadway Weather Forecast: High of 88 degrees today and mostly sunny, but there's a small chance of showers this evening.
We all perform our lives in a way. And the actor is a perfect metaphor to get at that theme of 'how do we find our authentic selves?' And that we all - whether we're actors or not - perform ourselves. As a way of searching. As a way of fumbling around and trying to say, is this my voice? Is this who I am?
-- Annette Bening (via BrainyQuote)
What we're listening to: The Public Theater's A SECOND CHANCE cast recording, out online and in stores today! A SECOND CHANCE tells the story of a recent widower and a divorcée who meet and discover a connection, despite their reservations.
Video of the Day: In honor of Signature's production, watch a clip of Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin in Broadway's SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, which debuted in 1984 and aired on Showtime in 1986!
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!