Ben Forster Blogs About 'A Huge Blow' Felt By JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR Arena Tour Cancellation
Ben Forster, SUPERSTAR UK reality show winner and star of the recently cancelled US arena tour of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's iconic rock opera JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR has utilized social media to share his thoughts on the difficult situation.
Forster begins, "I just wanted to write a quick note to say a big thank you for all of your concern. Today, I should have been re-opening the Jesus Christ Superstar Tour in probably the biggest night of my career to date, in the USA arena tour. For reasons still unknown, it was cancelled very last minute a week ago."
Forster continues, "I was obviously devastated. I have waited for almost a year for this amazing opportunity to start, turning down many other great opportunities and have also planned my life around this job. The feeling of shell shock when we were told the news is one I will never EVER forget. I am also most upset for a brilliant cast of beautiful and talented people who also put there lives on hold. Changing wedding plans,turning down long contracts and West End shows because the promise of this wonderful opportunity was so exciting. Not forgetting all the crew and management and also the amazing Andrew Lloyd Webber who had dreamt of this arena tour happening for such a long time. It was a huge blow for us all."
Additionally, Forster suggests, "That being said I do call for a revolution for stronger union rules and laws supporting actors contractual rights, but that's a whole other blog."
Furthermore, Forster opines, "I don't want to seem like I am dwelling on this USA let down. I can never look back at anything to do with JCS with a negative eye. You all gave me such an awesome opportunity when you voted for me to play the role on Superstar. I have done things and been places I couldn't have dreamt of. It really feels like I lived a movie when I look back. I am eternally grateful to everyone involved and everyone who supported me throughout, both in the UK, Australia and all over the world. I am a very lucky person. To stand on the stage in the arenas we performed at and live that 'Gethsemane' moment so many times is enough. It was a moment I had dreamt about."
Last month, announced lead and SUPERSTAR reality show winner Ben Forster used Facebook to share his perspective on the unfortunate situation, stating, "Thank u all for the amazing supportive messages. I am feeling very positive about what's next. Jcs has been amazing. Thanks to all of u. X".
Plus, Forster re-Tweeted, "Retweeted Gloria Ayee (@GloriaYAyee): "I believe in fate, and whatever's around the corner is about to come. I'll keep trying. God loves a trier, right?" - @thebenforster ?#Truth?".
When news first broke of the tour cancellation last Friday, Forster posted the following to Facebook (censored): "I am so devastated. I'm sorry to everyone who got tickets and flights..Who ever f*cked it up I hate u . But ?#IforgiveU? ?#imjesus?..wellwas x".
Last weekend, cast-mate Brandon Boyd took to Twitter first to comment on the situation in a series of Tweets, sharing, "I got fired from
#JesusChristSuperstar today....but so did the rest of the cast so we're all sad together. Yeah, it's true. Tour cancelled".
Then, Boyd followed up, writing,
After that, Boyd posted a hand-drawn image on Instagram depicting two figures resting their heads on each other's shoulders, tagging it, "...".
Of note, Boyd, along with JC Chasez, Ben Forster, John Lydon and many other cast and crew members shared shots of themselves giving the middle finger as a response to the cancellation of the tour last Friday, as well.
The official statement is as follows: "Options Clause Entertainment LLC, an affiliate of S2BN Entertainment, announced today the cancellation of the Jesus Christ Superstar Arena Spectacular Tour including the previously announced show on Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at Madison Square Garden. All purchased tickets will be refunded. Tickets purchased online and via telephone will be automatically refunded. Tickets purchased from outlets/venue box office must be returned to that location for refund."
On Friday night, the official website removed all dates and cast info, as well, as can be seen here.
According to social media reports, assembled cast and crew were informed of the cancellation on Friday afternoon following a run-through of the show. Cast members were expected to complete rehearsals for the show this week prior to embarking on a planned 50-city tour throughout the United States over the next several months.
Of note, last Friday, Times of San Diego revealed that the San Diego stop on the tour had been cancelled at the Valley View Casino Center originally scheduled for July, as reported here, with a brief news release stating: "All purchased tickets will be refunded. Tickets purchased online and via telephone will be automatically refunded. Tickets purchased from outlets/venue box office must be returned to that location for refund."
JC Chasez, who had been cast as Pilate, took to Twitter to share his disappointment, writing, "When it rains it pours".
Additionally, Paul Ayres shared his sadness on social media, writing, "Absolutely gutted!!"
See BroadwayWorld's complete breaking news coverage of the tour cancellation from Friday, available here.
View the photos of Ben Forster and company pertaining to JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR below.
More From This Author Pat Cerasaro Bio