Page: 1

Dirty Dancing and Sound of Music - my thoughts

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dirty Dancing
Ok never been a fan of the film, went with my sis as she LOVES the film. The first 1/2 hour or so did drag a bit but once it got to 'Hungry eyes' it started to pick up a bit. The queue to get in the theatre was incredable, never queued to get in before. And the audience was mainly woman of a certain age - unsurprisingly. This is literally the film on stage. Nothing new or original about it. I did really like the set design, thought it worked really well for the show, and the recreation of certain scenes were well done. There actually isnt THAT much dancing in the show, but what there is brilliant. The constant whooping from the audience is quite annoying, and when it comes to 'Nobody Puts Baby in the corner' the roof nearly came off!

The mainly young and sexy cast without exception are brilliant, and the two leads are perfectly suited to their roles. Jonny has the best Abs ive seen on stage! haha

Its a very polished production and classier than say, Fame. However there is nothing original about it, you could just watch the film at home. The show never realy comes alive until the last 15 minutes which I have to say was intoxication as the atmosphere was electric and you just get swept along. Im glad ive seen it, but its NOT worth its top price of 60.00 and wouldnt see it again. This will be huge with groups of woman and hen parties etc. Its worth a look, and if your a fan of the film you will be in your eliment. As a piece of theatre however its not fresh or new, just good fun - which isnt a bad thing!

The Sound Of Music
Well although i wasnt a huge fan of the tv show, and had my reservations about connie (I just couldnt warm to her) i was completely blown away by her performance, she definately proved me wrong. She has a very good voice, and has charm and great comic timing. Not great chemistry with the captain but that is partly because of the speed the show moves at (much faster moving than the film) and because he has only been in the role a matter of days. alex hanson does very well in the role, great voice and think he will grow into the part as time goes by. Connie made the role her own, which is quite a hard thing to do when everyone is comparing with the film. She held the stage and proved her worth. HOWEVER I cant see her in any other role, and think after SOM she may struggle to find a starring role. I also admit to leaving thinking Emma Williams would have been a sensation in the role, but Connie more than deserves the starring role.

Lesley Garrett was amazing, not the best actress, bit hammy, but my god when she sings a shiver went down my spine. The finale was surprisingly moving, with all the nuns chorus, it was very powerful. The rest of the supporting cast were also all very strong (especially Sophie Bould and Ian Gelder), however the two songs that werent in the film 'How can Love Survive' and 'No Way to Stop It' werent great, I can see why they were dropped from the movie - well performed but instantly forgettable.

Now the children, WOW - we had the kids that performed on opening night and who are on the video previews. They were all very talented and completely charming. Gretl was SO sweet. They got a great reaction when they first came on stage.

The set design was simple and effective. I did laugh with the UFO mountain coming in, very clever design and it works very well, but still made me smile. The set didnt seem to fill the stage though so I do wonder why they waited for the Palladium. The lighting was also beautiful. Great to hear a full orchastra playing the music live. I thought the concert scene was brilliantly staged, loved how the theatre became the concert arena.

The audience absolutely loved it, and gave it a standing ovation (which started when the kids came back on). I LOVED this show far more than I expected and wouldnt think twice about seeing it again. Its a brilliant revival and doesnt try to be the film. In Connie it has a confident and extreamly well cast leading lady, however the real stars of the show are the kids.

Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thanks for these reviews NS

It seems that The Sound of Music is getting better reviews that anyone expected. The only down side to this is that you know that this reality show will probably indeed return next year. I heard that they were thinking of doing it but this time trying to find someone to play Joseph. Is this true?

By the way if you saw a crazy black chick going mad in the stalls at Dirty Dancing last night, that would have been my sister. I'd like to apologize for her behaviour now. She loved it, but when we lived together i did have to suffer the movie on a daily basis.
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I have got tickets for the Sound of Music in April (the only ones available!!!) and I cannot wait - I have heard such good things about this production!!!!
97jrobbins Profile Photo97jrobbins Profile Photo
97jrobbins
Swing
Swing
I disagree about not being able to see Connie Fisher in any other role. She has what alot of west end performers currently seem (in my opinion) to lack, and that is passion that can reach right the way to the back of the auditorium. Connie is also a natural ENTERTAINER. I think that producers will be tripping over themselves to try and sign her. She is a rare breed.
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Well everyone to their opinion, what roles could you see her in out of interest? I just cant see her as a romantic lead in the Phantom/les miz style show (plus I dont think she is vocally strong enough anyway) she is too goofy and tomboyish. And she doesnt come accross sexy enough for something like Chicago, or good enough actress for say Cabaret or the like. She said on the TV show that Maria was the only part she could play (or words to similar affect) and I think she could have been right.

Time will tell and ill be gladly proved wrong, i do agree she can entertain. Actually she could be a very good Fanny Bryce if they revived Funny Girl, or possibly Mary Poppins, but again not sure if her voice is strong enough for Mary.
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think she would be a great Mary actually, and maybe she would be a great Belle!
Updated On: 12/5/06 at 01:11 PM
RockyRoad Profile PhotoRockyRoad Profile Photo
RockyRoad
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I don't know if DD will transfer to Broadway. We certainly don't need another SOM! Since the US will start it's own TV Broadway competition for "Grease" starting in a few weeks, I know we certainly don't need another Grease!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just got Dirty Dancing on(a certain not to be spoke about format)and i found it pretty dull and kinda pointless.
The cast are fine it just diddnt do anything for me.

Dirty Dancing WILL transfer to broadway its a bloody cash cow.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Connie would not be a good Belle, belle is beautiful and sweet with a strong inner soul, Connie in my view doesnt match that description - shes too quirky
97jrobbins Profile Photo97jrobbins Profile Photo
97jrobbins
Swing
Swing
I agree with you that she wouldnt possibly fit into Chicago, i think that she COULD possibly play belle once she has evolved more as a performer. lol i could see her playing Ado-Annie in Oklahoma, or Kristine in a chorus line, if it was revived some time, she could possibly play Christine Dyer in Phantom, but only if her voice is up to scratch, although I'm not so sure about Les Miz. Dont get me rong, i dont think that she has the scope to play absolutely every role in the west end, but i do believe that her scope will get bigger as the years go by, and i also believe that what she CAN do, she does very well.
Updated On: 12/5/06 at 08:11 PM

Page: 1