Shortlisted Writers Announced For 2009 Brian Way Award
The Award is made to the writer whose play, in the judges' opinion, most nearly satisfies the following description:
• a play in which the writing is of special quality
• a play that stimulates the imagination
• a play that demonstrates innovation in the language or form
The Shortlisted plays for 2009 are:
- A Sheep called Skye by Nicola McCartney (NTS)
- Duck! by Philip Osment (Unicorn Theatre)
- I'm A Minger by Alex Jones (Operating Theatre Company)
- Romeo In The City by Amber Lone (Theatre Centre)
- Space Circus by writers from Chol Theatre (Chol Theatre)
- The Mothership by Douglas Maxwell (Birmingham Rep)
- The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Kevin Dyer (Action Transport)
The Judges for this year are: Chris Campbell (literary manager of The National Theatre), Jamil Dhillon (young director), David Greig (winner of TC Brian Way Award 2008), Gbemisola Ikumela (actor/director and writer) and Emma Wee (designer).
The Award is a cash prize of £6,000 and it will be announced on 30 April 2009 at Water House Restaurant.