Tucson-Area High School Bands Join Cast Of ATC's THE MUSIC MAN
Four Tucson-area high school marching bands will bring select performances of Arizona Theatre Company's production of The Music Man to a "climactic" ending when they march down the aisle to close the shows.
Bands from Canyon Del Oro, Catalina Foothills, Rio Rico and Sahuaro high schools have been rehearsing with the cast and crew of the acclaimed Meredith Willson show, now on stage at the Temple of Music & Art through Dec. 30.
Each 10-to-30-member band will perform Bach's Minuet in Gand The Wells Fargo Wagon pieces and will march through the theater at the end of the shows.
"What better way to partner with the incredibly talented high school musicians in the Tucson community, and to enhance our Arizona Artist Initiative, than to collaborate with them on some of the most recognized songs in musical theater history?" asked ATC Artistic Director David Ivers, who is directing The Music Man. "It's a 'wow' ending."
The appearance schedule for each band is as follows:
• Tuesday, Dec. 11, 10 a.m. (student matinee) and 7:30 p.m.: Sahuaro High School.
• Wednesday, Dec. 12, 7:30 p.m.: Rio Rico High School.
• Thursday, Dec. 13, 7:30 p.m.: Sahuaro High School
• Friday, Dec. 14, 7:30 p.m.: Catalina Foothills High School
• Saturday, Dec. 15, 2 p.m.: Rio Rico High School
• Sunday, Dec. 16, 2 and 7 p.m.: Catalina High School
• Tuesday, Dec. 18, 10 a.m. (student matinee): Catalina High School
• Friday, Dec. 21, 7:30 p.m.: Catalina Foothills High School
• Wednesday, Dec. 26, 2 and 7:30 p.m.: Catalina High School
• Thursday, Dec. 27, 7:30 p.m.: Catalina High School
• Friday, Dec. 28, 2 and 7:30 p.m.: Sahuaro High School
• Saturday, Dec. 29, 2 and 7:30 p.m., Sahuaro High School
• Sunday, Dec. 30 (closing performance), 2 p.m.: Catalina Foothills High School
The Arizona Artist Initiative is a season-long celebration of Arizona artists and creative talent. Arizona artists are designated in each program.
Tickets for The Music Man are on sale at www.arizonatheatre.org or at the Temple of Music & Art box office.
The 2018/2019 season is dedicated to Geri Silvi, ATC's long-time Box Office Manager in Phoenix. The season is sponsored by I. Michael and Beth Kasser.
ATC has standardized curtain times in Tucson and Phoenix. Performance times will be: Tuesdays through Saturday evenings at 7:30 p.m., Sunday evenings at 7:00 p.m. and all matinees will be held at 2:00 p.m.
For more information about season-ticket subscription, go to www.arizonatheatre.org or call the box office in Tucson at (520) 622-2823. For information about group sales, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Music Manwill be followed by Two Trains Running, by August Wilson, directed by Lou Bellamy (Tucson: Jan. 19-Feb. 9); American Mariachi, by José Cruz González (Tucson: March 9-30) and Things I Know to be True, by Andrew Bovell, directed by Mark Clements (Tucson: April 20-May 11).