Jeremy Benton Directs SWEET SWING! Reading in New York 4/20
Broadway triple threat Jeremy Benton adds the role of "developing director" to his already laudable resume when he stages an upcoming industry reading of the new musical, Sweet Swing!, in New York City next week.
Benton directs and choreographs the six-person musical, which has book and music by Diane Tauser (Notre Dame de Paris and Stone Cold Beauty), and tells the real story of a wartime romance during World War Two.
"The cast is stellar, and it's based on a true WWII love story," Benton explains. "The main character, Don Waful, is actually still alive! It's under consideration for the Stage Door Canteen in New Orleans, so I'm putting together a pared down, six person cast, with some incredible voices.
"I've served as developing director for a few years now, and we're presenting it at the The National OperaAmerica Center's Marc A Scorca Hall, 330 Seventh Avenue, in Manhattan on Monday, April 20."
The cast of Sweet Swing! includes: Alex Finke (Anything Goes, Unsinkable Molly Brown, Legally Blonde) as Cassie; Rich Hollman (Playwrights Horizons, Law & Order, As The World Turns) as Don; Laura D'Andre (Hair, Grease, The Chocolate Show!) as Pam; Cody Williams (On The Town, Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, Memphis) as Bob; Kaye Tuckerman (Mamma Mia!, Les Miserables, The Wild Party) as Major Wyatt; and Bart Shatto (Hands On A Hardbody, Les Miserables, The Civil War) as MacDougal.
For Industry Invite information, email: IBSYMusical@gmail.com.
The Creative Team for Sweet Swing!:
- Developing director/choreographer: Jeremy Benton (42nd Street, Anything Goes, Irving Berlin?s White Christmas)
- Author/composer: Diane Tauser (Sweet Swing!, Notre Dame De Paris, Stone Cold Beauty)
- Musical supervisor: Bryan Perri (Wicked, Chaplin, Altar Boyz)
- Musical director: John Colonna (Cats, Big River, Sweet Charity)
- Assistant director/stage direction: Joseph Hayward
- Stage manager: Jack Trinco
- Multi-media production by michael-carlyle.com