VIDEO: Matt Bomer Stars in PSA for USA's 'Characters Unite' Campaign
Today, USA Network, along with a diverse coalition of partners, kicks off the third Characters Unite Month with a range of multiplatform initiatives that aim to shine a light on the intolerance and discrimination that exist today; encourage candor and dialogue around tough issues like racism, gender inequality, homophobia and bullying; and inspire people to say "I won't stand for ..." it anymore. Below, get a first look at 'White Collar' star Matt Bomer in the network's PSA "I Won't Stand For", part of their month-long campaign.
USA is working with partners including the NFL, leading Multichannel Video Programming Distributors (MVPDs), and more than 20 leading nonprofit organizations such as the Southern Poverty Law Center, American Association of People with Disabilities, National Council of La Raza, NAACP, GLSEN, Human Rights Campaign, National Council of Women's Organizations and others.
Highlights of Characters Unite Month include:
"I Won't Stand For..." Campaign
· Public Service Announcements (PSAs): A new PSA campaign that features diverse characters -including USA Network stars Matt Bomer of White Collar, Peter Gallagher of Covert Affairs, Dulé Hill of PSYCH, and Sarah Rafferty and Gina Torres of SUITS - engaging in a conversation about the need to no longer stand idly by in the face of hate, bullying and discrimination. These and other celebrities and athletes will also share what they "won't stand for" in short spots that will air throughout the month.
· On-the-Ground Activities: Kicking off Super Bowl weekend, the "I Won't Stand For..." tour will make stops in New Orleans, Denver, Nashville, Atlanta, Cleveland and Chicago, where PSYCH's Dulé Hill will be on hand. In addition, "I Won't Stand For" activities will be part of The Henry Ford Museum's National Day of Courage in celebration of Rosa Parks' 100th birthday, in Dearborn, MI.
At each stop, people can create their own "I Won't Stand For..." t-shirts, photos and videos. "I Won't Stand For..." t-shirts can now also be purchased through the NBCUniversal Experience Store, with a portion of proceeds benefitting the Characters Unite nonprofit partners.
· Digital Campaign: A newly created Facebook App and hashtag #IWontStandFor will allow people across the country to share what they won't stand for. Through the app, people can customize a photo and become part of an interactive gallery on Facebook and on charactersunite.com.
Additionally, dozens of people - actors, athletes, students, elected officials, advocates and everyday Americans - will share what they won't stand for and why in short videos featured on charactersunite.com, the Characters Unite YouTube channel, and through social media sites.<
charactersunite.com will also feature a live, running tally of the number of people participating.
"NFL Characters Unite" Documentary
On Friday, February 8 at 7/6c, USA will premiere the 2nd annual "NFL Characters Unite" documentary, in partnership with the National Football League and narrated by NBC Sports' Cris Collinsworth. This year, the documentary shares the journeys of Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl MVP wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Jameel McClain, Pittsburgh Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu and New York Giants Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Tuck, who describe how they overcame prejudice and discrimination. Each player also talks about helping a young person facing similar adversity.
The documentary, created by The Hochberg Ebersol Company and executive produced by company co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Justin W. Hochberg, was produced by Paul Pawlowski and P3 Entertainment and directed by Ezra Edelman (HBO's "Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals").
USA Original Series
USA is incorporating Characters Unite-themed storylines into episodes of its hit series, including:
· Necessary Roughness (Feb. 13 and 20, 10/9c) - a star member of the New York Hawks reveals he is gay and faces intense scrutiny from his coaches, teammates and the media.
· SUITS (Feb. 7 and 14, 10/9c) - Pearson Hardman fights a gender discrimination class action suit and unearths prejudices that impact women in the workplace.
The episodes will be followed by PSAs directing viewers to charactersunite.com for more information and resources.
Quarterly Film Series
On February 23 at 8/7c, in its basic cable premiere, USA will air a special, commercial-free presentation of "Schindler's List," a film which tells an extraordinary true story of courage and faith that continues to inspire, as part of the Characters Unite quarterly film series.
Characters Unite Awards
USA and its Multichannel Video Programming Distributor (MVPD) partners will launch the Characters Unite Awards to honor extraordinary individuals who have made significant efforts to champion civil and human rights in their communities. The program kicks off with an on-air spot featuring SUITS' Patrick J. Adams calling for nominations. Winners will be featured on-air and online and will receive a $5,000 grant to continue their work.
Please visit http://www.charactersunite.com/ for more information on the initiative and what you can do to make a difference.