Glenn Close to Be Honored with 2012 Matrix Award
New York Women in Communications will present the 2012 Matrix Awards on Monday, April 23, 2012 to honor eight remarkable women who have established themselves in communications industry, during a luncheon at the Waldorf=Astoria in New York City. The ceremony, hosted by Interpublic Group, will feature distinguished honorees including Glenn Close, Tyra Banks, Ann Curry and Peggy Noonan.
The Matrix Awards is recognized by the communications and entertainment communities as one of the most outstanding and prestigious events of the year, with more than one thousand people expected to gather to laud exceptional women in communications fields. Previous award recipients include Barbara Walters, Sheryl Sandberg, Tina Fey, Martha Stewart, Anna Wintour, Diane Sawyer and Christiane Amanpour to name a few.
Portions of the proceeds from the Matrix Awards luncheon will go to the organization’s Foundation, dedicated to cultivating leaders in the communications field by providing financial support including generous scholarships, opportunities for professional development, mentoring, and entrée to a diverse community of communications professionals.
2012 Matrix Award Honorees:
- Tyra Banks, Chairwoman, CEO & Chief Creative Officer of Bankable Incorporated
- Gayle Butler, EVP of Meredith Creative Content and Editor-in-chief of Better Homes & Gardens
- Glenn Close, Actress/Producer, Co-Founder & Chairman of the Board of Bring Change 2 Mind
- Maria Cuomo Cole, Film Producer and Chairman of HELP USA
- Ann Curry, Emmy-Award winning Co-Anchor, “Today” and Correspondent
- Laura Desmond, Global CEO of Starcom MediaVest Group
- Zenia Mucha, Executive Vice President, Chief Communications Officer of The Walt Disney Company
- Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal Columnist and Best-Selling Author
“We are pleased to recognize these eight extraordinary women for their remarkable achievements in communications,” said Catherine Mathis, president, New York Women in Communications. “These individuals, from top executives of worldwide corporations to award-winning journalists and global humanitarians, truly embody the Matrix Awards’ theme—Women Who Change the World and we look forward to honoring them in April.”
“The Matrix Awards is the premier event for our industry honoring women in media and communications. We couldn’t be more excited to have IPG play a part in a program that strengthens and inspires individuals working across the marketing spectrum,” said Nancy Rabstejnek Nichols, Senior Vice President, External Affairs Weber Shandwick/Interpublic Group. “We congratulate the winners and hope this event will help further the mission of New York Women in Communications, as well the Foundation’s scholarship program, in nurturing the next generation of communications professionals.”