2011 Awards Season

Colman Domingo on THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS 12 Nominations & Future
by Robert Diamond - May 3, 2011

'It's kind of a really cool morning! I'm in LA at the moment, so I was in my hotel room bed, and I think, okay, let's watch the announcements just for fun and see whats up. Once they started reading and saying 'The Scottsboro Boys' my heart started racing. Anika is my very best friend in the whole world, and as she is reading off the nominations she hits the podium, and I thought, 'wow, she must be excited for something.' Then she read my name! It couldn't be more perfect than to have your best friend reading your name for a nomination. She called me right after they were off the air and she told me that originally Matthew was supposed to read that part but she took it from him. (Laughs.) In regards to all the nominations post closing, and the idea of reopening, well, it would be nice to reopen! This all just shows you that anything can happen. This helps me know that what we did was something significant, something the audience felt was as special as we thought it was, and it is nice to know that that was appreciated. As for The Scottsboro Boys returning in London or Broadway, the location isn't as important. It is just nice to know that it is not the end of the journey. To celebrate I am going to go to Denny's, because I am starving! And I have been on the phone for hours, so I am going to order a grand slam, or maybe a lumber jack special while I change my flight to get back to the press junket tomorrow.'

2011 Tony Awards Nominees: 'Best Play'
by Charlie Piane - May 3, 2011

Nominations in 26 competitive categories for the American Theatre Wing's 65th Annual Antoinette Perry 'Tony' Awards were announced May 3, 2011 by Tony Award winning actor Matthew Broderick and Tony Award winning actress Anika Noni Rose, at the Tony Award Nominations Announcement sponsored by IBM.

Josh Gad on His 'Two Seconds of Joy' for Tony Nom!

'I feel pretty remarkable. In fact, it's pretty remarkable how many phone calls the iPhone can handle. I've heard noises and beeps from this thing this morning that I've never heard before. It's so exciting and what an honor. I was avoiding reading or watching anything so that if I didn't get nominated it wouldn't feel like such a bust. I didn't even know what time the nominations were being announced. But then the phone rang with my manger screaming as I was feeding the baby, so then I squealed, which then set off this chain reaction of the baby screaming and the dog barking and then the baby messing the diaper, so my joy lasted for about two seconds but it was a good two seconds. 14 nominations for the show...wow! Of course I prayed that it would happen, but I never imagined to be honored like this! I feel so lucky to have been able to originate this role with this amazing creative team and have the opportunity to give it my voice. Having been able to build something from scratch over the course of three years is the greatest achievement for me.'

Photo Coverage: 2011 Tony Award Nominations Announcement
by Walter McBride - May 3, 2011

Past Tony winners Anika Noni Rose and Matthew Broderick announced the 2011 Tony Awards nominees live from the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts in New York City this morning, May 3. BroadwayWorld.com was on hand for the big announcements and brings you photo coverage below!

Tony Sheldon on 'Holding The Phone up to the TV'

'Well, I had to be sitting up in front of the TV for in the nominations because my mother is in Australia and she insisted on hearing them live with me. I had to hold the phone up to the TV and it turned out that she couldn't hear it, so I had to remember them and repeat it all! It's extraordinary and so nice I've been from the show since the first workshop, building the character. I've had so much input onto the show and my character and I feel so emotionally invested in the production -- it's the first all Australian musical on Broadway. Audiences in New York have been exactly the same, it's an audience show rather than a critics show and the audiences just go crazy every night. It's very exciting, there's a roar that goes up every night at the end of the show so we know we're doing something right!'

Edie Falco on Her Tony Nom - 'Deeply Honored'

'I was waiting for the book fair to begin at my son's school when my manager and friend Richie Jackson called with the news of my Tony nomination. I am deeply honored to have been acknowledged in this way - for theater in New York City - this is a very big thrill for me.'

Tammy Blanchard and Glenn Slater React to Tony Noms!

'I am very excited and gratified for all 5 of these well deservered nominations. I am so happy for everyone involved with the show. I woke up early and actually listened to the live feed on BWW, and started jumping up and down with my wife when the news come through. It's been a long and complicated journey, it's been absolutely thrilling to have the show finally land in New York and watch the audience enjoy it every night. This show is about fun and these nominations are just icing on the cake.' Glenn Slater, nominee for Best Original Score for Sister Act

Judith Light, Bobby Lopez & Kathleen Marshall React to Tony Noms!

'We're feeling pretty good. I've been up since 6 o'clock this morning, so unlike those who were sleeping I was wide awake. It's just wonderful because you see a classic show like this get so recognized in such a wonderful season with so many new and exciting shows and musicals. It's lovely, it's a wonderful gift and the double nomination, plus everything for the show - it's like Christmas morning with a bike and dollhouse under the tree! You are my first phone call, I got lots of emails from folks, but we were feeding breakfast to our twins with NY1 on in the background. I couldn't be happier!'

2011 Tony Award Nominee Reactions!

Past Tony winners Anika Noni Rose and Matthew Broderick announced the 2011 Tony Awards nominees live from the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts in New York City. BroadwayWorld.com will be talking to all of the nominees to hear their exciting stories of how they heard, who they told and more!

2011 Tony Awards Nominees: 'Best Musical'
by Charlie Piane - May 3, 2011

Nominations in 26 competitive categories for the American Theatre Wing's 65th Annual Antoinette Perry 'Tony' Awards were announced May 3, 2011 by Tony Award winning actor Matthew Broderick and Tony Award winning actress Anika Noni Rose, at the Tony Award Nominations Announcement sponsored by IBM.

Who Was Overlooked By the 2011 Tony Nominations?

The Tony nominations were revealed this morning and they have much of the theatre world celebrating. In a season as rich as this past theatrical season though, there are only so many spots for nominees and some very talented shows and performers were not nominated. Below are the eligible performers and shows who were not nominatined in the major categories.

Best Actress in a Musical Tony Category to Feature 4 Nominees
by Robert Diamond - May 2, 2011

Eagle-eyed watchers of the Tony rule book first noticed this weekend that due to the number of eligible performers for 'Best Actress in a Musical' being under 7, there will be only four nominees, rather than 5. You can watch the nominations LIVE tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM right here on BroadwayWorld.com!

Final Tony Awards Decisions Revealed on PRISCILLA, MORMON, WONDERLAND, SISTER ACT & More
by Robert Diamond - April 29, 2011

The Tony Awards Administration Committee met today for the fourth and final time this season to decide the eligibility of 19 Broadway productions for the 2011 American Theatre Wing's Tony Awards®, presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing. The Tony Awards Administration Committee has met a total of four times throughout the 2010-2011 season to decide the eligibility for the 2011 Tony Awards.

Photo Coverage: Drama Desk Award Nomination Announcements!
by Monica Simoes - April 29, 2011

Nominations for The 56th Annual Drama Desk Awards were announced on Friday, April 29, 2011, at 9:30 AM at the New York Friars Club, 57 East 55th Street, in Manhattan. Former Drama Desk Award winners Audra MacDonald and Liev Schreiber made the announcements. Other speakers included Isa Goldberg, President of the Drama Desk; Robert R. Blume, Executive Producer of the Drama Desk Awards; Barbara Siegel, chairperson of the Drama Desk Nominating Committee and Randie Levine-Miller, Director of Special Events for the Drama Desk, who has produced the nominations announcement ceremony at the NY Friars Club for the past 15 years.

2011 Drama Desk Nominations Announced - 12 for THE BOOK OF MORMON, 10 for ANYTHING GOES
by Robert Diamond - April 29, 2011

The 56th Annual Drama Desk Awards, hosted by Harvey Fierstein, will be held Monday, May 23, at 9:00 PM at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan Center, 8th Avenue and 34th Street. This year, for the first time, a 90-minute Highlights Special of the Drama Desk Awards Ceremony will be televised nationally on OVATION, the national cable network dedicated to presenting creative arts programming to national TV audiences. The ceremony will be given two primetime broadcasts plus four other airings between June 4 and June 19, 2011.

NEWSICAL, MERCHANT OF VENICE, et al. Win 2011 Alliance Awards
by Nicole Rosky - April 28, 2011

The Off Broadway Alliance, the organization of Off Broadway producers, theaters, general managers, press agents and marketing firms, has announced the winners of the 1st Annual Off Broadway Alliance Awards, honoring commercial and not-for-profit Off Broadway productions that opened during the 2010-2011 season.

2011 Tony Nominations Announced! THE BOOK OF MORMON Leads With 14!
by Robert Diamond - February 3, 2024

Past Tony winners Anika Noni Rose and Matthew Broderick announced the 2011 Tony Awards nominees live from the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts in New York City.

Watch 2011 Tony Nominations LIVE on BroadwayWorld.com, 5/3
by Nicole Rosky - April 27, 2011

Tune into BroadwayWorld.com at 8am on May 3 to watch past Tony winners Anika Noni Rose and Matthew Broderick announce the 2011 Tony Awards nominees! The video webcast will air live from the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts in New York City.

TV: Norbert Leo Butz & Kathleen Chalfant Announce 2011 Drama League Noms.
by Jessica Lewis - April 27, 2011

On Monday, Norbert Leo Butz and Kathleen Chalfant announced the nominations for The 77th Annual Drama League Awards in the categories of Distinguished Production of Play, Distinguished Production of a Musical, Distinguished Revival of a Play, Distinguished Revival of a Musical and the Distinguished Performance Award. Both actors are previous winners of The Drama League's Distinguished Performance Award.

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN Leads Astaire Award Nominations with 6
by Robert Diamond - April 27, 2011

at a special reception hosted by Carolyn Kendall Buchter, Ronald Buchter and Patricia Watt, Producer of the Astaire Awards at Theater Row's Firebird Russian Restaurant,. The 'Astaires' are the only awards to honor excellence in dance and choreography on Broadway and in film.

Photo Coverage: d'Arcy James & Daly Announce Outer Critics Circle Nominations Announced
by Walter McBride - April 26, 2011

Outer Critics Circle, the organization of writers covering New York theatre for out-of-town newspapers, national publications and other media beyond Broadway, announced their 2010-11 nominations this morning. Celebrating its 61st season of bestowing awards of excellence in the field of theater, the Outer Critics Circle is an association with members affiliated with more than ninety newspapers, magazines, radio and television stations, and theatre publications in America and abroad.

2011 Outer Critics Circle Nominations Announced! SISTER ACT Leads with 9!
by Robert Diamond - April 26, 2011

Outer Critics Circle, the organization of writers covering New York theatre for out-of-town newspapers, national publications and other media beyond Broadway, announced their 2010-11 nominations this morning.

Helen Hayes Award Recipients Announced!
by Jessica Lewis - April 25, 2011

The 27th Helen Hayes Awards are being presented at the historic Warner Theatre tonight, April 25, 2011. In addition to 156 theatre artists, ensembles and productions nominated in 26 categories, three special awards will be given.

Helen Hayes Award Recipients to be Named Tonight at 8pm EST!
by Jessica Lewis - April 25, 2011

The 27th Helen Hayes Awards are being presented at the historic Warner Theatre tonight, April 25, 2011. In addition to 156 theatre artists, ensembles and productions nominated in 26 categories, three special awards will be given.

2011 Theater Awards Season Calendar - All You Need to Know!
by Nicole Rosky - April 25, 2011

The 2011 theatre awards season is quickly approaching, and keeping track of all of the important dates for the many ceremonies and corresponding nominations is no easy feat. Stay up to date on all the need-to-know facts with BroadwayWorld's Awards Season Calendar below!

« prev 1 … 8  9  10  11  12  13  next » 

Videos