Syfy Whips Up a Marketing Storm for SHARKNADO 2: THE SECOND ONE
To support the Wednesday, July 30 premiere of Sharknado 2: The Second One, the eagerly awaited sequel to last summer's social media and pop culture sensation, Syfy is unleashing a monster of a marketing storm, from New York's Citi Field and SUBWAY® Restaurants nationwide to San Diego Comic-Con.
The Category 5 campaign will include a digital, social and in-store partnership with SUBWAY encompassing promotions at 26K locations nationwide (Jared The SUBWAY Guy makes a cameo in the movie); Sharknado 2 star Ian Ziering throwing out the first pitch at the July 28 New York Mets-Philadelphia Phillies game at Citi Field, and an exclusive trailer on Fandango.com that has already reached nearly two million fans.
Sharknado 2 marketing will also feature cross-promotions with Random House, publishers of How to Survive a Sharknado and Other Unnatural Disasters; Zynga, creators of the Sharknado Hit It Rich game, and promotional partnerships with TODAY, E! and Sprout.
In making the announcement, Michael Engleman, Executive Vice President, Marketing, Digital and Global Brand Strategy, Syfy, said: "Since its premiere last summer, the Sharknado franchise has been an astonishing global success story, setting a new bar for the power of social TV. This year, we've continued to build on our success by embracing the irreverent tone of the film itself as well as launching a dynamic array of social, digital, and second screen initiatives. For Sharknado 2, the strategy is to give the consumer the tools to be at the center of the conversation."
Highlights of the Syfy Sharknado 2:The Second One Marketing Campaign
· Tent-cards in more than 26K stores nationwide
· Banner on Subway's Fresh Buzz homepage
· Jared's Sharknado preparedness tips on Subway's Facebook and Twitter
San Diego Comic-Con:
· Sharknado 2 panel featuring Ian Ziering, Tara Reid, Vivica A. Fox, Judah Friedlander and director Anthony C. Ferrante
· July 25 Sharknado 2 industry party at the Hotel Solamar
· On the ground partnership with Random House to promote the How to Survive A Sharknado book
Sharknado Day at Citi Field:
· Building upon key scenes that were filmed at Citi Field in February, Syfy is sponsoring Sharknado Day at the New York Mets-Philadelphia Phillies games on Monday, July 28 - with Ian Ziering throwing out the first pitch -- and Wednesday, July 30
· Four lucky fans will win a prize pack containing Sharknado 2 and Mets premiums
· Sharknado 2 trailers and Syfy logos will be displayed on Citi Field scoreboards
· A centerpiece of the campaign is an exclusive Sharknado 2 trailer and "Sumnado" video (recap of Sharknado viral video) which has already reached nearly two million fans
· Fandango is providing social media and editorial support, including showing what makes up the natural phenomenon known as a Sharknado with an original Anatomy of a Sharknado poster created exclusively for Fandango by artist Rachel Ignotofsky.
· The site will be themed "shark week" starting on July 28
· To capitalize on Sharknado's cultural phenomenon status, Syfy will engage fans with exclusive trailers, a seven day countdown featuring the best screams of Sharknado, the movie's best bites and more. During the Sharknado 2 July 30 premiere, Syfy will air "What the Shark?" moments that highlight the craziest scenes from the movie and will feature live tweets from fans
· Sharknado: Battle of the Bites Bracket pairs off the most memorable moments from Sharknado against each other in a March Madness style bracket. Users vote for their favorite moments in a number of different rounds, with the ultimate Sharknado moment being revealed on July 30th in time for the sequel's premiere
· A shareable party kit featuring all the must-haves to host a Sharknado themed soiree
· At #YOUARELUNCH Hub, sponsored by Joe's Crab Shack, presents the best memes of sharks eating lunch (a.k.a. people) from Sharknado and the films featured in Sharknado Week. Consumers are encouraged to share their own memes
· The Go Shark Yourself App, for iOs and Android devices, enables consumers to insert themselves into a variety of customizable, Sharknado-themed backdrops and share them with friends
Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic Science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in 96 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. (Syfy. Imagine Greater.)