MSNBC Rises Over CNN in October
MSNBC beat CNN for the month of October in the key morning, weekday Primetime and M-Su Primetime dayparts according to data from Nielsen. MSNBC was also up across the board among total viewers and A25-54 in all key dayparts compared to September 2013.
For the month, MSNBC ranked #2 in weekday primetime, topping CNN among total viewers (946,000 vs. CNN's 645,000) and A25-54 (241,000 vs. CNN's 201,000). Compared to September, MSNBC weekday Primetime was up 22% among A25-54 and 38% among total viewers in October. MSNBC also ranked #2 in Monday- Sunday Primetime among A25-54 (233,000 vs. CNN's 189,000) and total viewers (795,000 vs. CNN's 576,000). MSNBC M-Su Primetime was up 20% among A25-54 and 34% among total viewers in October compared to September. October was MSNBC's best M-F and M-Su Primetime monthly delivery since April 2013.
MSNBC ranked #2 in the sales prime daypart (M-Su 7p-2a) among A25-54 (208,000 vs. CNN's 160,000) and total viewers (653,000 vs. 465,000). This was MSNBC's best M-Su sales prime delivery since Dec. 2012. MSNBC was up 11% among A25-54 and 27% in total viewers in October compared to September.
Below are program and daypart highlights for October:
· "Morning Joe" from 6-9 a.m. ranked #2 for the month among both A25-54 (157,000 vs. CNN's 111,000) and total viewers (526,000 vs. CNN's 313,000). "Morning Joe" was up 14% among A25-54 and 24% among total viewers compared to September 2013 and had the best monthly A25-54 delivery since Jan. 2013. "Way Too Early" at 5:30a also placed second for the month with 86,000 A25-54 and 280,000 total viewers.
· "The Ed Show" at 5 p.m. topped CNN among total viewers for the month (849,000 vs. CNN's 716,000). "The Ed Show" was up 27% among A25-54 and 36% among total viewers compared to September 2013 and had the best demo performance in The Hour since Jan. 2013.
· "PoliticsNation" with Rev. Al Sharpton at 6 p.m. ET beat CNN in October among total viewers with 812,000 (vs. 598,000). Compared to September, "PoliticsNation" was up 27% among A25-54 and 32% in total viewers and had the best demo delivery since Feb. 2013.
· "Hardball with Chris Matthews" at 7p was #2 for the month among A25-54 (258,000 vs. CNN's 186,000) and total viewers (1.12 million vs. CNN's 573,000). "Hardball" saw more month-to-month growth than any other cable news show at 7 p.m., up 49% among A25-54 and 53% in total viewers compared to September. "Hardball" also had the best monthly A25-54 delivery in nearly a year - since Nov. 2012.
· "All In" with Chris Hayes at 8p was #2 for a second consecutive month, topping CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" among A25-54 (217,000 vs. CNN's 211,000) and total viewers (897,000 vs. CNN's 706,000). "All In" saw double digit growth from September, up 23% among A25-54 and 40% in total viewers. This was "All In's" best monthly demo delivery since the show launched in April 2013.
· "The Rachel Maddow Show" at 9p was #2 for the month among A25-54 (277,000 vs. CNN's 185,000) and total viewers (1.07 million vs. CNN's 637,000). Compared to September, "The Rachel Maddow Show" is up 21% in A25-54 and 32% in total viewers, more growth than any other cable news show in the hour. October was the best A25-54 delivery for TRMS since April 2013.
· "The Last Word" at 10 p.m. (Monday - Thursday) ranked #2 among A2554 (248,000 vs. 182,000) and total viewers for the month (948,000 vs. 535,000). Compared to September, "The Last Word" is up 27% among A25-54 and 36% in total viewers, more growth than any other cable news show in the hour. This was the best A25-54 delivery for The Last Word since Dec. 2012.
· "Up Late with Alec Baldwin" on Fridays at 10 p.m. debuted in October ranking #2 for the month with 578,000 total viewers.
· "Up with Steve Kornacki" ranked #2 among A25-54 on both Saturdays (125,000) and Sundays(123,000) in October.
· MSNBC's weekend programming continues to lead with younger audiences. For the month of October, "Up with Steve Kornacki" (Sa/Su 10a-noon), "Melissa Harris-Perry" (Sa/Su noon - 2p), "MSNBC Live" (Sa/Su 3-4p) and "Disrupt with Karen Finney" on Saturdays at 4 p.m. all ranked #1 among A18-34.
· MSNBC ranked #1 in weekend sales prime (Sa/Su 7p-2a) for the 6th consecutive month among A2554.
· MSNBC ranked #1 among African-American viewers in both A25-54 and total viewers in all key dayparts.
· MSNBC ranked #1 among Hispanic viewers A25-54 in M-F Primetime and M-Su primetime