Hollywood Fringe Announces 'Fringe [Film]' Lineup
Fringe [Film]'s curator, Ezra Buzzington, says: “Like last year, young, talented filmmakers have made my job easier by submitting great new works in various genres. Our shorts section this year is jam-packed with disparate aesthetics and I'm thrilled by what we've been afforded the opportunity to screen.”
While many genres will be represented (horror, comedy, international drama, etc.) this year's features include several new documentaries covering a range of topics from long-form improvisation (THE LAUGHING MATTER) to gay adoption (THE RIGHT TO LOVE – AN AMERICAN FAMILY). This year's Centerpiece Feature, AFTER PORN ENDS, is a documentary centered on the lives of those within the adult film industry (AFTER PORN ENDS).
A few celebrities will be making appearances at this year's screenings as well. Mink Stole is featured in the sci-fi/horror short BUGBABY (screened in “Short Figments”), director Kevin Smith has a great cameo in HUGHES THE FORCE (screened in “Short Jocosities”) and writer/comedian Fred Stoller's feature film FRED & VINNIE is sure to be a comedic hit of the 10-day event.
AFTER PORN ENDS – 94:00 - Documentary
- A documentary that not only examines the lives and careers of some of the biggest names in the history of the adult entertainment industry; but what happens to them after they leave the business and try to live the “normal” lives that millions of other Americans enjoy.
11/11/11 – 90:00 – Horror
- Young parents and their son move into a new neighborhood and soon discover that all of their new neighbors are conspiring to control the boy in the belief he is the anti-Christ.
- Lonely guy Fred Stoller is thrilled when his good buddy, Vinnie D'Angelo, the world's happiest agoraphobic and fattest vegetarian, comes to live with him,until Vinnie also proves to be the world's most maddening roommate.
RETRACE – 98:00 – Drama
- A Holocaust survivor returns with her husband and sister to Transylvania, Romania for the first time since her youth. As the memories of her forgotten past come to life, she has to overcome the depressing reality of Ceausescu's communist dictatorship as well as the developing romance between her husband and her sister.
- Filmmaker/actor Kevin Carr takes the viewer on a fever dream through the streets of Amsterdam in this Zen stoner comedy as he philosophizes and theorizes his way to finding the best bud in the city.
Thursday, June 14th @ 4:20p
- Enter Hollywood's hottest competition as improv comedy's freshest talent battle for legendary laughs, immortal glory, and the ultimate cage match title in The Laughing Matter.
- Jay and Bryan with their two adopted kids start a YouTube channel called “Gay Family Values” in order to combat the lies about same-sex marriage, but the media and their own family are not easily changed.
- A too-honest-for-his-own-good real estate agent has to sell a haunted house before its ghostly inhabitants ruin his life.
- A single woman, Mindy Reed, feels she is disappearing in middle-age and turns to YouTube vlogging for validation, communication and community building. Incorporating both interviews and video blogs.
Saturday, June 23rd @ 6:30p
- 1964. A small town. A kidnapping. A simple plan... just like in the movies. But real life isn't simple. Somebody always gets hurt.
NOBODY LOSES ALL THE TIME – 14:30
- Mexico City, 1973. After a long, hot day of shooting “Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia” director Sam Peckinpah and his producing partners leap into action in order to save their motion picture from getting shut down
SPARKLEPUSS: DOMESTIC VIOLENCE – 0:43
- The comedy team SPARKLEPUSS gives us a public service announcement about domestic violence.
- At the Aztec Hotel on old Route 66 in the San Gabriel valley, a young woman is taken in by the hotel's laundry man. Guy Zimmerman, director of last year's favorite, “Pronghorn” brings another trippy short film to the Hollywood Fringe.
- Carl travels door to door with his compulsive flashy behavior and a reluctant need for divine intervention.
- Two brothers equipped with Peacemaker six-shooters, a gross misinterpretation of the Holy Bible, and their obsession with Hollywood Western folk heroes, journey across a post-apocalyptic American wasteland in search of their survivalist grandfather.
- An anxious, young wife waits for her husband at the train station as he returns from war.
- A Film Noir examination of our obsession with beauty, technology and the cult of fame.
- Urban cool teen Taylor's life is uprooted when her father dies and she moves to her grandfather's ranch in Wyoming with her mother. There Taylor meets a ranch hand who turns her life upside down.
- On the verge of being sacrificed on her husband's funeral pyre, Dhumavati makes the bold and dangerous choice to flee her fate, in turn, discovering her self worth.
- Both known and unknown secrets are housed in a seedy motel room in the high desert as two siblings visit with a man from their past.
SHORT FIGMENTS – Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror (52:00)
- Little Sammy Gregory is a “special needs” infant – special in that he resembles a giant insect and needs a constant supply of raw meat. Mink Stole appears as a social worker in this silly take on modern parenting.
- A married Vaudevillian couple examine their parenting options once the circuit begins to crumble.
- The comedy troupe Sparklepuss brings its madness to the world of The Food Network.
- You never know exactly what your boyfriend is up to when he stays at home all day while you're at work.
- A gentle walk through the veil guided by the beautifully evocative musical strains of Windows To Sky.
- The comedy team SPARKLEPUSS gives us a public service announcement about rape.
- An actress in LA goes to any and all lengths to capture the proper characterization for a role in which she's been cast.
- The comedy team SPARKLEPUSS gives us a public service announcement about abortion.
- Which is harder? Serving time in prison or working as an extra in Hollywood?
- The comedy team SPARKLEPUSS gives us a public service announcement about masturbation.
- Mashing up the Star Wars and John Hughes universes, high school nerds set out to create the real Princess Leia. Filmmaker Kevin Smith makes a cool cameo.
Thursday, June 14th @ 815p
- CURATOR'S PICK! Defies categorization. Ed Wood meets Spike Lee. DIY at its most extreme. Director/Writer/Editor/CD store owner Crazy Dee encounters a strange being vesseled in the form of an innocent looking female. Based on a true story!
- The comedy team SPARKLEPUSS examines the extreme benefits of a more natural approach to dealing with menstruation.
- An amalgam of images and quick cuts that takes you on a reeling ride of nonsensical metaphors.
- Host an environment for bold and experimental works
- Champion underground art and artists
- Vitalize the arts industry in Los Angeles
- Promote and enrich the Hollywood neighborhood
More On: Mink Stole, Kevin Smith, John Hughes, Spike Lee,