Fandango Reports THE HOBBIT Accounts for 76% of Today's Ticket Sales
Fandango is reporting that two upcoming releases are leading today's ticket sales: THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, which opens this Friday, represents 76% of sales, and the big-screen adaptation of LES MISERABLES, which opens Dec. 25, holds the second slot with 10%.
A survey of more than 2,000 HOBBIT ticket-buyers on Fandango revealed:
- 91% of respondents have seen a previous "Lord of the Rings" film
- 81% have read at least one of J.R.R. Tolkien's original books
- 90% were glad to see original "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson back to direct "The Hobbit"
- 73% were also fans of the "Harry Potter" franchise while only 27% considered themselves fans of the "Twilight" franchise
- 72% are happy that "The Hobbit" story spans three different installments;
- 61% claimed Jackson's high-frame-rate technology made them more curious to see the movie.
Rounding out the 'Fandango Five' for today, Dec. 11, are Skyfall (3%), Lincoln (3%), and Life of Pi (2%).
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey follows title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever... Gollum.