STAGE TUBE: Watch the Full PBS Special - Live from Lincoln Center's CAROUSEL!
Live From Lincoln Center presents the New York Philharmonic's production of Rodgers & Hammerstein's iconic American musical, Carousel, featuring a star-studded cast including Kelli O'Hara, Nathan Gunn, Stephanie Blythe, Shuler Hensley, Jason Danieley, Jessie Mueller, Kate Burton, John Cullum and New York City Ballet dancers Robert Fairchild and Tiler Peck. "Rodgers & Hammerstein's Carousel" was hosted by Audra McDonald and aired on PBS stations on Friday, April 26, 2013. Click below to watch the full special!
Now a beloved classic, Carousel-with music by Richard Rodgers and book and Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II-was hailed by Time Magazine as "the best musical of the 20th Century." Based on Hungarian playwright Ferenc Molnár's 1909 play, Liliom, Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel transfers the story from Europe to the Maine coastline and revolves around the tragic romance between carousel barker Billy Bigelow and mill worker Julie Jordan. The musical includes such highlights as "If I Loved You," "June Is Bustin' Out All Over," and "You'll Never Walk Alone."
Following its Broadway premiere in 1945, Carousel has been staged across America and throughout the world and remade for both film and television. Landmark stagings include the Royal National Theatre (UK) 1992 production, which was subsequently presented at Lincoln Center Theater in 1994 and received five Tony Awards including Best Musical Revival (and Best Featured Actress in a Musical for Audra McDonald); a current European production by Britain's Opera North is now showing in Paris.
The New York Philharmonic production features Kelli O'Hara (Julie Jordan), Nathan Gunn (Billy Bigelow), Stephanie Blythe (Nettie Fowler), Shuler Hensley (Jigger Craigin), Jason Danieley (Enoch Snow), Jessie Mueller (Carrie Pipperidge), Kate Burton (Mrs. Mullin), and John Cullum (Starkeeper/Dr. Seldon), among others. This production also features New York City Ballet principal dancers Robert Fairchild (Carnival Boy) and Tiler Peck (Louise), choreographed by Warren Carlyle, in the Act II pas de deux ballet. This staged concert performance was directed by John Rando and conducted by Rob Fisher.
Click Here to Play!
- STAGE TUBE: Behind the Scenes with FAC's THE WIZARD OF OZ
- STAGE TUBE: Sneak Peek - Carolee Carmello and More in GHOSTLIGHT; Show to Add Third Industry Reading?
- BWW TV Exclusive: Behind the Scenes with Seattle Children's Theatre's JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH World Premiere!
- STAGE TUBE: Sneak Peek at Portland Stage's THE SANTALAND DIARIES
- STAGE TUBE: Original SPRING AWAKENING Cast Reunites for ATC UNCOVERED
- STAGE TUBE: Andrew Lloyd Webber Talks STEPHEN WARD on Graham Norton Show
- STAGE TUBE: On This Day 12/9- Mario Cantone
- MEGA STAGE TUBE: Watch an Extended Sneak Peek of SIX BY SONDHEIM; Airs Tonight on HBO
- STAGE TUBE: Behind the Scenes of WHITE CHRISTMAS at Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center
- STAGE TUBE: Reunited! Lea Michele, Jonathan Groff and the Original Cast of SPRING AWAKENING Revisit the Atlantic