WAKE UP with BroadwayWorld - Thursday, April 24, 2014 - CABARET and THE GREAT IMMENSITY Open, NPH on LETTERMAN and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? For your most important theatre meal of the day, we've rounded up the big news you missed yesterday, what's on the agenda today, and a few extras to start your day off right.
The Bacon: See what's on the griddle today...
- CABARET -- with Alan Cumming, reprising his role as the Emcee, and Michelle Williams, making her Broadway debut -- opens tonight on Broadway! We'll be bringing you the reviews live, as always, so stay tuned...
- Also opening tonight is The Civilians' THE GREAT IMMENSITY at The Public Theater!
- Harvey Fierstein's CASA VALENTINA opened last night (check out the Review Roundup here), and BWW was there to capture all of the first-night shenanigans. Come back later on for coverage!
- The SAG Foundation Career Conversations series continues today with Marisa Tomei. Our own Richard Ridge will be conducting the interview, as usual!
- Set your DVR! HEDWIG star Neil Patrick Harris will visit THE LATE SHOW with David Letterman tonight; plus, William Shatner's SHATNER'S WORLD is set to be broadcast nationwide today!
Cup of Joe: Perk up and revisit yesterday's big news...
- The 2014 Drama League Award nominations were announced. Check out BWW's photo and video coverage!
- Clive Davis says he's bringing MY FAIR LADY back to Broadway because it's "the greatest musical of all time"...
- Ryan Silverman, Robert Joy and more have joined SIDE SHOW, running at the Kennedy Center this summer.
- Also this summer, FORBIDDEN BROADWAY is set to return to the Menier Chocolate Factory in London!
- The World Premiere of the stage adaptation of SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE announced its first round of casting, including Ian Bartholomew, Anna Carteret and more!
- More great casting news - the FIDDLER ON THE ROOF 50th anniversary concert has added Jackie Hoffman, Joshua Bell and more to the lineup.
- Next Monday, Mel Brooks will bring a one-night-only solo show to the Geffen in Los Angeles!
- FREESTYLE LOVE SUPREME will return to Lincoln Center Theater next month.
- More than 50 NYC student class presidents will attend a special matinee performance of ALL THE WAY on April 30. Now don't you wish you'd run for office in high school?
- THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY cast recording broke into the Billboard Top 200!
- And we got a first look at Julia Roberts' character poster for THE NORMAL HEART on HBO.
Broadway Weather Forecast: Whistle down the wind, let your voices carry... Sunny and windy. High of 60 degrees.
Quote of the Day: Theatre by the people, for the people...
Video of the Day: In honor of CABARET's return to Broadway tonight, watch Liza Minnelli performing "Mein Herr" in the 1972 movie version!
Streisand has starred on Broadway in I Can Get It for You Wholesale and Funny Girl. She was nominated for Tony Awards for both performances. One of the few performers ever to achieve the famous EGOT, Streisand has won five Emmys, eight GRAMMYs, two Oscars, and a Special Tony Award. The actress has appeared on the big screen in The Guilt Trip, Meet the Fockers, The Prince of Tides, Yentl (which she also directed), A Star Is Born, Funny Lady, On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, Hello, Dolly! and the 1968 film adaptation of Funny Girl.
MacLaine's Broadway credits include Me and Juliet, The Pajama Game, Shirley MacLaine and Shirley MacLaine on Broadway. The actress will next be seen in an episode of the FOX series GLEE and also recently appeared in the British period drama series Downton Abbey. Among her many film appearances are Around the World in Eighty Days, Sweet Charity, Terms of Endearment, Steel Magnolias, Bewitched and more.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!