American Repertory Ballet Announces Spring 2013 Performances and Events
American Repertory Ballet has announced upcoming events throughout New Jersey this Spring 2013. Based in Princeton, ARB has been consistently designated a "Major Arts Institution" by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts for the past two decades, and, in 2008 and 2011, was voted Jersey Arts' People's Choice for Favorite Dance Company. Presenting innovative choreography to music by such greats as Stravinsky, Prokofiev, and Vivaldi, ARB's upcoming performance season promises to be inspiring.
ARB's Spring 2013 Season features the premieres of Artistic Director Douglas Martin's Rite of Spring and Romeo and Juliet, in addition to work by Resident Choreographer Mary Barton, a world premiere by acclaimed choreographer Patrick Corbin, and a major revival of famed Joffrey Ballet choreographer Gerald Apino's Viva Vivaldi. "We look forward to thrilling new audiences with the strength, beauty and artistry that the arT Loving public has come to expect from this young, vivacious American company," says Martin.
ARB's Spring 2013 performance schedule is as follows:
- March 23 at 8:00pm: A Taste of ARB: Spring is Coming at The Theatre at Raritan Valley Community College; rvccarts.org, 908.725.3420 – Featuring Artistic Director Douglas Martin's Rite of Spring, Resident Choreographer Mary Barton's Five Men and a Concerto, and a new work by Patrick Corbin
- April 5 at 8:00pm: Viva Spring at South Orange Performing Arts Center; sopacnow.org, 973.275.1114 – Featuring Artistic Director Douglas Martin's Rite of Spring, Gerald Arpino's Viva Vivaldi, and a new work by Patrick Corbin
- April 13 at 7:00pm, April 14 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm: Romeo and Juliet: a Preview Peek at Hamilton Stage for the Performing Arts at Union County Performing Arts Center; hamiltonstage.com, 732.499.8226 – The full choreography of Artistic Director Douglas Martin's Romeo and Juliet, set to Prokofiev's lush score
- April 20 at 7:00pm: ARB's Annual Gala Performance and Reception at the Crossroads Theater and the Heldrich Hotel in New Brunswick – Honoring Princeton Ballet School Senior Faculty Member Maria Youskevitch, recipient of the 2013 Audrée Estey Award for Excellence in Dance Education, New Brunswick Mayor Jim Cahill, and Marlene and Anthony Volpe; Featuring performances by American Repertory Ballet, Princeton Ballet School students, and DANCE POWER Scholars
In addition to its performances, ARB will present free educational events to supplement its audiences' enjoyment and understanding of its programming. ARB will kick off the new year with "Behind the Music", a look at the music and the infamous ballet Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, on January 18th, featuring guest lecturer Maestro Michael Pratt. Pratt, Conductor of the ARB's Orchestra for Nutcracker at State Theatre, is also the Director of the Program in Musical Performance at Princeton University and co-directs the Composers' Ensemble and the Richardson Chamber Players.
"Behind the Music" is an On Pointe Enrichment Series event. ARB launched On Pointe in October 2010 as part of the organization's larger strategy to make ballet more accessible to the community. This series of lecture-demonstrations and discussions allows the community to interact with the acclaimed artists and collaborators involved with ARB in an intimate setting. All On Pointe events are free and open to the public, and are held at 5:15pm at Princeton Ballet School, the Official School of ARB (301 N. Harrison St., above McCaffrey's Supermarket in the Princeton Shopping Center). The rest of the Spring 2013 On Pointe schedule is as follows:
- February 22: Spring Preview – an inside look at the repertory ARB will be performing in 2013
- March 29: Romeo and Juliet Preview – a lecture-demonstration featuring excerpts of ARB Artistic Director Douglas Martin's brand new full-length ballet, Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet
- April 26: All About Pointe Shoes – a discussion and demonstration all about pointe shoes, including manufacturing, fitting, and use
- May 31: Dancer Nutrition – a lecture for dancers and non-dancers alike about how to eat for healthy for peak performance
ARB will also offer a free educational event at the Princeton Public Library on March 7th at 7:30pm. At this lecture-demonstration, choreographers will discuss their new works for ARB's Spring performances alongside excerpts performed by ARB dancers.