Page: 1

City of Angels movie

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
City of Angels movie#1
Posted: 6/17/09 at 7:57pm
Just read on the theatre-mania website that a movie of the musical City Of Angels is in the works. Very excited about this as I loved the show and it's ideally suited for the screen - the show's staging was quite cinematic. The only thing I read that filled me with horror is that, as obviously Cy Coleman has passed away and can't do anymore work on it, the score will be "augmented" by Marc Shaiman. To say that I can't imagine anyone less suited to fill the legendary Mr Coleman's shoes than him would be an understatement. lol Get ready for some bland and boring new songs then.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: City of Angels movie#2
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:02pm
I heard this a few days ago as they were looking for UK dancers and singers.
One of my all time favorite shows...
but please leave it like that.
A movie of this theatrical masterpiece would be a no goer.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: City of Angels movie#2
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:05pm
The London recording of this is almost complete and knocks spots of the NY version.
I listen to a selection of the numbers almost daily still.
re: City of Angels movie
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: City of Angels movie#3
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:09pm
Yes, I love the London recording too. I really wish I'd been able to see it in the West End (but it only had a short run and back in those days I couldn't get into London more than a couple of times a year). And, of course, it has the fabulous Haydn Gwynne long before she put on her dancing shoes as Mrs Wilkinson.

I saw COA on Broadway though and was lucky enough to see the awesome Michael Rupert as Stine. His rendition of "Funny" was mindblowing.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 6/17/09 at 08:09 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: City of Angels movie#4
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:17pm
This entire show is nothing short of perfection.
An incredible London production was taken from us as Sir Andrew Lloyd Webbers other L.A based musical took London by storm.
I will gladly let doubters have recordings of both Sunset Blvd and City Of Angels and will welcome their astonishment at what London lost out on!
I visited the Prince Of Wales theatre 5 times in the shows ludicrously short run.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: City of Angels movie#5
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:18pm
Was this show the only hit penned by David Zippel, who done that blunderbus of Woman in White?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: City of Angels movie#6
Posted: 6/17/09 at 8:29pm
I suppose this was the only genuine hit show that Zippel wrote lyrics for - though he did write the lyrics for The Goodbye Girl and also the hit animated movies Hercules and Mulan. And a show he wrote with Cy Coleman is apparently still very much in the works - "Pamela's First Musical".
Updated On: 6/17/09 at 08:29 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: City of Angels movie#7
Posted: 6/18/09 at 5:19am
The genius behind this show, I'm sure, was Larry Gelbart.

This is in my top 3 shows of all time- the only thing that could make it any better would be a smidge more dance.

Here's the point where we go: Henry Goodman, Roger Allam, Hadyn Gwynne, Susannah Fellow and Martin Smith

Favourite numbers:

1. With Every Breath I Take
2. You Can Always Count on Me
3. Funny

This should make a fabulous film, cross-cutting film noir and technicolor. Oh my god I can see it now.

Stone and Stine George Clooney
Buddy Fidler William Shatner
Oolie/ Donna Toni Colette
Alaura/ Carla Audra MacDonald