Page: 1

Next To Normal Number #1 on Billboard chart!

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next To Normal just hit Number One on the Billboard Cast Album Chart. Woo hoo!!!!!

I am so pleased about this. It restores my faith in the world. lol It's just great to see that a score with such great depth of meaning and immense artistic integrity can also be genuinely commercial. Hopefully this success will spill over into Box Office receipts - partly coz I really want this amazing piece of musical theatre to get the success it deserves and partly coz I desperately want to see it again when I go to New York in October!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/130336-Next_to_Normal_Hits_%231_on_Billboard_Cast_Album_Chart
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 6/17/09 at 07:31 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mama, the guy in that photo looks like he's just sat through Hairspray.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 6/17/09 at 07:50 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No. He's just seen The Thorn Birds, bad enuf, then was told he had to sit in economy class all the way to NY and sit thru more bird poo called N2N. When he could have seen 9 To 5!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay, jokes aside, I know we have different tastes and it's clear you hated N2N. But I really think you should give it another try when perhaps you're more awake than you were on a whirlwind trip to NYC. Even if you don't like the style of music, it's so incredible on just an emotional and dramatic level. No show has ever made me shed such genuine tears in 40 years of going to the theatre. Maybe it's because the horrors of mental illness are so close to home for me that I can feel how much human truth there is in every syllable of Brian Yorkey's lyrics - but even listening to the CD sends chills down my spine every time. It's one of the most extraordinary pieces of musical theatre writing ever IMO. (and Tom Kitt's melodies are right up there with William Finn, Sondheim and Adam Guettel as pieces of sheer musical beauty.)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've had a few chats with different people in the last few weeks since that awful matinee at the Booth and I've been told to reflect back on my first reaction to Rent when I saw it in preview in NY and how I hated it so.
Some time later I sat thru it again, on the first night of its first tour at the Shubert theatre in Boston.
From 11pm that night I knew i had seen a revelation in musical theatre.
15 years later that has diminished again, sadly, but i changed my tune towards it.
OK then, so basically, I will give your beloved N2N another go.
Im back in NY in 3 weeks and we'll see!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's a strange coincidence. I also hated Rent with a vengeance when I first saw (and heard) it. Years later, after a number of close friends and songwriting collaborators had told me it was their all-time favourite show, I bought the CD and totally fell in love with it. Now I consider it a masterpiece of a score (though I still think the book is a total mess).

But with N2N, the music alone blew me away just on first hearing.

Btw - I just saw the video on the N2N website of the CD signing at Barnes & Noble - and saw myself on screen getting my CD signed LOL.
http://www.nexttonormal.com/video.php?video=5
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I opened this to see Mama's reaction- it was worth it.

Mama, make sure you stay for act two this time!
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 6/18/09 at 10:20 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol
if only the bar was open after-show! x
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've not seen this show but I find it hard to imagine that it sends you out dancing into the street. I kind of liked what I saw on the Tonys, but a whole CD like that is a bit too much for me, now, should I buy the CD?
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd say check out some clips on youtube first?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tony exposure helped NEXT TO NORMAL, with about 4900 scans, but an
interesting development: nearly 3K of its total are album downloads. Does
this mean a majority of buyers simply didn't care if they had the physical
release of this particular cast album? I believe it does. Perhaps we can
get a better picture of "trends" after HAIR's CD is released next week,
because it is thriving for now on downloads.

1. Next to Normal (#103, Top 200; #21, Top Digital Albums)
2. Jersey Boys (#8, Top Catalog)
3. Wicked (#17, Top Catalog)
4. West Side Story (2009) (#166, Top 200)
5. Hair (2009) (downloads)
6. Billy Elliot
7. Shrek
8. Rock of Ages (downloads)
9. Mamma Mia!
10. The Lion King
11. Spring Awakening
12. Legally Blonde
13. In the Heights
14. Les Miserables: Highlights (London Cast)
15. The Little Mermaid

Top Soundtracks
5. Mamma Mia! (#127, Top 200)
9. High School Musical 3 (#190, Top 200)
13. Across the Universe: Deluxe Edition
21. Grease
22. Once
24. Moulin Rouge
25. Cadillac Records
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I did hear Patti Lupone may be going into the show in July...
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'You Gotta Get A Gimmick'
TimesSquareRegular Profile PhotoTimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I did hear Patti Lupone may be going into the show in July..."

I hope those little voices go away real soon ....

Meanwhile, Patti's July tour (with Mandy Patinkin)to Australia and New Zealand should be terrific:

http://www.pattilupone.net/tour.html

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She's far too old for that part, far too old.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have the cast recording and I love it a whole bunch. Some of the numbers do go by in a bland haze, but on the whole, the interest level is pretty well sustained, and the good songs are really good.

I think I shall listen to it again now! re: Next To Normal Number #1 on Billboard chart!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeeeeeeeeeah mamma is going to give it another chance woooh wooooh
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna