Page: 1

Godot Mighty!

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Godot Mighty!#1
Posted: 6/15/09 at 10:18am
In one of my favourite auditoria in the West End I sat with the great and good, all out for some serious art and patting themselves on the back for getting one of the hottest tickets of the moment. I hate snobby audiences. Anyway, enough of my review of the audience.

However, the play itself was sensational. Ian Mackellen absolutely steals it with a tour-de-force Lancashire accent, making almost everything that Estragon has to say very funny indeed. The inter-play between him and Stewart was touching indeed and deceptively effortless.

Callow was Callow and Pickup made a finely eerie Lucky.

The set design, with the wasteland breaking into the theatre, was gorgeous.

The sound design: a little odd- neither strong in its presence nor unobtrusive- it seemed rather half-hearted. Lighting was excellent, though I was puzzled by the focus of the floor break-up, which cut off across the pros line, leaving the small apron stage without gobo cover- what was that meant to symbolize?

Overall though, a heartily entertaining production, albeit one which tends to opt for comedy generally over true despair.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#2
Posted: 6/15/09 at 10:22am
You would think with actors of that calibre there wouldn't be the need of 'sound design'!!!!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#2
Posted: 6/15/09 at 11:22am
Sorry- to clarify- I meant the little sound incidentals- some low growls and thunder in the distance. Projection was tip-top!
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#3
Posted: 6/15/09 at 7:29pm
Despite the obvious comparison with Laurel and Hardy (the bowler hats), I kept thinking of Morecambe and Wise as I watched McKellan and Stewart. They are so obviously very comfortable with one another I think they are a perfect fit for the roles.I can't imagine how Nathan Lane and Bill Irwin (currently playing the roles on Broadway) might measure up. As you say Devonian, Callow was Callow but who, other than Simon Callow, has the right bombastic quality to play Pozzo. Even John Goodman (current Broadway cast) might seem a bit too subtle!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#4
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:04am
I was wondering what would happen if we had a cultural exchange and at the end of the season, swapped both casts for a couple of months- I'd love to see Nathan Lane here, and he was great box office for The Producers.

For other casting, I know comedy double acts have tried before, with limited success, but I'd love to see Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer have a go at this play.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#5
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:11am
No, keep them on Broadway.
Peter Kaye and Jack Dee should move into the Haymarket production.
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Godot Mighty!#6
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:22am
Or the Chuckle Brothers.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#7
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:39am
Chuckle Brothers and The Krankies
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#8
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:43am
Hey, how dare you overlook Canon and Ball? And Little and Large! Comedy royalty!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#9
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:50am
The Max Wall version is a theatrical treasure.
Then the man was a legend before he ventured into straight theatre.
Look at the praise Ken Dodd had when he took on Shakespeare.
PastorErnst Profile PhotoPastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Godot Mighty!#10
Posted: 6/17/09 at 10:55pm
Does anyone know if Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart go to the stagedoor after the show to meet with fans and sign autographs?

BTW, I hear that the Haymarket's stagedoor is hard to find. Is that true? If so, where is it?
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#11
Posted: 6/18/09 at 5:03am
Come out of the theatre, turn left, go to the next little turning- turn left and left again, so you have basically walked 3 sides of a square. The stage door is in a dead-end street. It's as classy as you would expect for the Haymarket!
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Godot Mighty!#12
Posted: 6/18/09 at 5:36pm
When I saw Derek Jacobi in "Twelfth Night" I could easily understand how Ken Dodd was such a hit in the role of Malvolio. Jacobi's glances to the audience reminded me so much of Doddy.

Ah, the stage door of Theatre Royal, Haymarket - I once spent a wonderful five minutes or so chatting with a delightful Jack Lemmon, after "Veterans' Day". What a gentleman (along with James Mason and Dirk Bogarde).