Page: 1

Chess DVD

simon_wilkie
Understudy
Understudy
Chess DVD#1
Posted: 6/13/09 at 4:56pm
Hi,

I know I'm probably giving out last year's old news, but for those who didn't know...

Chess DVD has now been released in America...AND Dress Circle have got copies in stock.

The great news is that they are region free, and so work in UK players!

Picked up my copy in store today and have just flipped it on...Only up to Merano but loving it already!!!
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Chess DVD#2
Posted: 6/14/09 at 11:07am
I got my Chess DVD from Dress Circle too, I pre-ordered it after having previous expereiences with them sending me things before the official release date and it has happened again with Chess, the DVD arrived yesterday and it is region free, on the case it says that there is no region code and it plays on all DVD players in my house, including my parents' dinosaur of a machine.

I haven't watched it all of the way through yet, but it looks and sounds good. My only gripe is the way they've done the scene/song divides with the images that were on the screens during the concert in the RAH, on the tv screen it just looks cheap and cheesy I feel, but hey, just a small thing.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Chess DVD#2
Posted: 6/15/09 at 2:58pm
Just finished watching it and show still remains an oddity to me.I like the concert staging and Grobin's rendition of Where I want to be is pretty solid. However Menzel is still bloody annoying
RadioFan
Understudy
Understudy
re: Chess DVD#3
Posted: 6/18/09 at 4:41am
Got to agree about Menzel, her howling style doesn't work in this.
My daughter said after hearing her 'Can we have the real Cd in now' refering to the US Cast Recording & Judy Khun.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chess DVD#4
Posted: 6/30/09 at 6:35pm
Received my Chess DVD from Dress Circle today - and I loved it! I'd forgoten how great a score this is. Obviously the staging is a bit primitive - but works perfectly well for a concert. And the performances on the whole are superb. The one exception for me was Marti Pellow - totally miscast as the Arbiter, he looks and sounds like a fish out of water. Josh Groban's vocals are fabulous - though, considering his character is a "Russian", his accent sounds more American than the Americans.LOL.

The most pleasant surprises for me were Adam Pascal and Idina Menzel - I've never been much of a fan of either of them before. But I thought they were both fantastic in this - their vocals actually gave me chills at times. And listening to Pascal's "Pity The Child" is the first time I've ever really been able to connect emotionally with the song.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
EmmaF2
Swing
Swing
re: Chess DVD#5
Posted: 7/4/09 at 6:24am
I saw this live and have bought the DVD. Both live and on film Idina Menzel is disappointing, It's pains me to say it because I'm a big fan, but it sounds like she's not coping well. Her head voice is so thin!
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Chess DVD#6
Posted: 7/6/09 at 6:15am
I don't know why people are criticising Idina. I saw it live and thought she and Josh Grobin were the best in it.
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Chess DVD#7
Posted: 7/6/09 at 6:37am
I saw it live and now have it on DVD, I thought Idina came over much better live than on the DVD - and that's with the sound problems on the night, I honestly do not remember her voice being so high pitched and weak in the RAH. I'm not impressed with how her voice comes over on the DVD, its way too high.