The Tonys 2009 - And The Winners Are.....

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Haha!
Seems like there isnt much interest on here over them this year!

Well we didn't need a crystal ball to see where they were going did we.

Yawnnnn.
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I enjoyed reading about it... not really many suprises though. I like that the Billy Elliot boys got the Nod but i was rooting for Gavin Creel re: The Tonys 2009 - And The Winners Are.....
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Very predictable year.

Wish 9to5 got more acknowledge and possible an award - I think its a great show and suprisngly, as I hate projections in the theatre, think the set/lighting was good so I was suprised creatively it didn't get more nods.

Guys and Dolls has to be the worst show - how could you get that show SO wrong! Miscast/Misstaged/Misdesigned...just everything! ATG really should have just bought over the 2005 Lonodn version or just abandoned the project... why mess/redo a show when you already have a hit?
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
yawns again to join mama. boring boring boring. gone are the days when award shows were entertaining and a genuine interest to watch... theyre all WAY too predictable now

x
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What are you talking about? It was probably one of the best presentations we've had for years. Oddly enough the worst representation of a musical nominated was the winner - BILLY ELLIOT. Nothing about the number presented would sell tickets.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Haven't seen the show as yet but I meant the actual nominations and the eventual winners.
Yawwwwn!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The show itself was great, though the sound guy needs to be shot, but in terms of an enteraining night it was very good

Billy only deserved half the awards it won (Next to Normal should have got Musical and Book, Shrek should have taken best featured actor)

Its a shame that a show witch a mediocre score at best like Billy (Next To Normal won score) and a watered down book could take best musical

I guess original musicals were not the in thing this year

I was over the moon that Alice won best performance (so well deserved, best performance ive seen in years)

and i was thrilled for Hair (and there performance was outstanding)

Best performances for the night were easily Hair and Next To Normal

worst were Mamma Mia, Shrek, Guys and Dolls and Billy Elliot
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next To Normal!
Whats Next At The booth?
The show will be gone before summers end.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LMAO how so

Its ticket sales have climbed every week, its advance has got bigger, it just won 3 Tony's, Elton even mentioned it in his aceptence speach and it got the best reviews of the season?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yea but only in the build up to yesterday when they spent loads on getting it known to the public. It didnt win anything like they thought it would. Its life is now limited.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
truth is the commercial appeal is very low
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the show will easily last the year and then close.

The Tonys will add more advance on to the show (its already getting bigger) simply because the performance was amazing on the Tonys, it walked away with Best Leading Actress and won best score over Elton John and Dolly Parton.

BE, Next To Normal and Hair will all benefit from the Tonys

the biggest looser of the night which will see a dip (or continued dip) in the Box Office is 9 to 5 which walked away without any and didnt have that many nominations to begin with.

People know 9 to 5 advance was around 4 million which is not very good, and unlike something like N2N which has a tiny running cost, 9 to 5 needs an army to keep it open.

I also thing Reasons To Be Pretty will announce its closing in the next few days and Shrek is in trouble
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
hahahaha im so good at this

I just clicked over to the Broadway Board and saw this

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/130000-Reasons_to_Be_Pretty_to_Close_on_Broadway_June_14

Reason to be Pretty to close
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Reasons cloes next Sunday 14th!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ha! Very good

I think 9 to 5 will be fine still... it's still enjoying just normal just opened success/word of mouth.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The word of mouth of the show is not great.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Word of Mouth was quite favourable when I saw it few months back... re: The Tonys 2009 - And The Winners Are.....

Id give it at least this year running.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I for one was totally absorbed in the Tonies last night - and on the edge of my seat, where I sat up until way past 4 am checking the results as they came up on the Tony website!

I'm not sure they were totally predictable - Billy was odds-on favourite to win just about everything - and (perfectly deservedly) lost out to NTN for score. And the tie for Best orchestrations was not really in the script either.

I can't comment too much on the awards for plays as I did not see any plays in NYC this year. But I saw most of the musicals on offer and agreed with most of the awards - though I would have given my vote to Next To Normal as Best Musical (much as I do adore BE). And to me the guy who gave the Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical was not even nominated - which I thought was criminal neglect lol - Aaron Tweit in NTN. Greg Jabara was excellent in BE, but I think Aaron was astonishing.

As for how long NTN will remain open, I don't have a crystal ball, so I don't know. All I know is - if there is any justice, it will have a lengthy run. Alice's performance alone should make it a "must see" (it's one the half dozen best performances I've seen in the last 40 years!). And the show is intelligent, incredibly funny, heartbreakingly moving - and has one of the best scores to hit a broadway stage in years. If audiences don't flock to see it, especially after it's just won two the of "Big Five" Tony awards, it's time to start despairing over the future of "new" musical theatre.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree

what is good for it is whilst every show last week dropped in grosses and attendence N2N went up, the word of mouth on this show is brilliant.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The best peformance has to go to Hair, it had no competition from any other performance! I really liked that BE did Angry Dance, it's one of my favourite bits of the show, and i think part of the reason they decided to do AD may have something to do with all the talk about the role of Billy not being a demanding one (due to 3performances a week etc.) and that routine shows off Billy really well...i enjoyed it a lot!

Btw, i havent seen the show in London since 2007, now is it my bad memory or is the choreography different on Broadway? And have these chages been implemented into the London production?
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is it still possible to find the show anywhere to watch, or is it now just snippets on Youtube?

N2N strikes me as this year's Grey Gardens- lots of praise but just not hot with the public- "let's go see that mental illness musical!"
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i've only been able to catch bits on YouTube, which is annoying cause i wanna see the In Memorium section re: The Tonys 2009 - And The Winners Are.....
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"N2N strikes me as this year's Grey Gardens- lots of praise but just not hot with the public- "let's go see that mental illness musical!" "

yet its box office is over 90 percent and growing
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
has anyone seen pal joey with Stockard channing in yet???
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And Grey Gardens had similarly high numbers until it exhausted its natural audience. Then came the nasty fall-off.

It does strike me that it's a pretty poor state of affairs when only the winner of Best Musical can survive, though. Surely anyone with half a brain should be able to keep 9 to 5 open for a couple of years- it's not like the reviews were terrible. And Shrek- what is going on? This has a built-in audience. There seems to be some very narrow thinking in the marketing of these shows.

I'm convinced Shrek would make a killing over here. Brit audiences get musical fantasies for children featuring talking animals and lots of slapstick. Shove Peter Kay into this and it'll fill the Prince Edward for several years.