Page: 1

Charitys booked in for the Menier at Christmas

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweet Charity starring Tamsin Outhwaite is this years Christmas show at the Menier. Good casting choice i think

http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?pg=207&story=E8831244159781&title=Outhwaite+Savours+Sweet+Charity+for+Menier+Xmas&ref=D
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It will be sold out by the end of today!
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OMG!! Incredible casting. When do tickets go on sale?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
End of summer usually.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks.

BWW group outing to the first preview - Saturday November 21? Anyone interested?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i don't know what i'm doing past 21st June yet!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i might have to steal 30 from my new york fund to go see this!! i'm not missing out!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Count me in for an outing :)
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oooh exciting! So annoyed my London theatre trips are having to go on hold for a while (lack of funds and lack of time) otherwise I'd be there (though I may still find a way.)
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow! This is fantastic news!
I cannot miss this one! :)
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good choice of musical for The Menier and interesting casting for Charity although I'm not worried as Tamzin Outhwaite is a good actress and does have done theatre experience. I will definetly getting tickets for this.

Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
gets boyfriend/loses boyfriend/gets boyfriend/loses boyfriend/gets boyfriend/loses boyfriend.

Hey Big Spender, waste a little time with me.

boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Scripps, when I did the show at school in 2006 (I was ensemble and Herman) the cast came up with that "waste a little time with me" slogan :)

I LOVE this show, and would love to see it done professionally - especially in such a top-notch venue. Although there is little to no real plot, the score is great. Even the relative unknowns in the score, like "Bravest Individual" and "Dream Your Dream", are gems. Cy Coleman's best work IMO. Also Bob Fosse's best work IMO: the Frug has on the greatest ensemble dance numbers in any musical ever ... on the same par as the Carousel Ballet and the West Side Story Prologue.

Whatever happened to the dance driven musical?
Updated On: 6/5/09 at 04:17 PM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm interested how they reconceive the show with all the big dance numbers although La Cage proved you can reimagine a biggish show for a small venue. Will be interesting who they cast for Oscar.

Just noticed that the Menier Christmas musicals aside from the Sondheims are shows which most recent revivals have flopped on Broadway.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is one show that can certainly work in a small space, its pretty close to a two hander.
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
finally a revival that will hopefully be a worthy one. i've waited for this for years!!!!

I doubt for one minute their version of this will be bad... infact quite the opposite. And i always think this should be done in a smaller venue rather than a larger one!
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can definately be done here and I am really looking forward to it. The score is one of my most favoured and a show I think should be more popular than it is - also I think its a show that can be heavily modernised to appeal to todays women/audiences. As much as I love the Menier, I wish they were doing Mame and the Donmar got hold of Sweet Charity as I think they would have really got into the script and not make so pretty like the 2005 revival on Broadway. I hope the Menier don't go down this route.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I liked the 2005 revival of Sweet Charity with Christina Applegate but I agree it was too pretty, I imagine that Menier will go down the route that La Cage and the Donmar's Guys and Dolls did and make the show a bit seedy which would work well considering that the profession that Charity works in is seedy.

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Completely. I saw the 05 Broadway revival and really enjoyed it but it was very flowery and you just though charity worked in a dance night club and was happy go lucky - not the case!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Absolutely, which I why I think the Menier La Cage works a lot better than previous productions as it felt more like a small drag club which La Cage would probably be like if it existed in real life rather than a Las Vegas style show which the 2004 revival and the orginal Broadway production.

With Stephen Mear as choreographer, I am sure the dance numbers will be top notch and I look forward to seeing how they do Big Spender.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, this will send Stephen into showbiz heaven. I think this could be great - I've high expectations!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Expect to see 'Sweet Charity' playing the Garrick this time next year.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bump, to get rid of those 5 advertising threads.