Page: 1

BOY FROM OZ in the UK?

Theatrical Landladies Profile PhotoTheatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#1
Posted: 5/4/09 at 6:52am

Was there ever any discussion of a UK production? I know Peter Allen wasn't so big over here but I think the show was fun and JOHN BARROWMAN could definitely fill the role (imo).
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#2
Posted: 5/4/09 at 7:08am
There were strong whispers initially but the director thought that Peter Allen wasn't a strong enough name for the show to work in the UK. He basically convinced the producers not to waste their time.
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?
I prayed every night that he would change his mind.

The original Australian production got further than the Broadway one did to getting any where near London.

There were also rumors that we would get a 2 week run of the arena staging that toured Australia but even that died off fast.

Updated On: 5/4/09 at 07:08 AM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#2
Posted: 5/4/09 at 7:40am
I saw the original Australian production in Sydney and also the Broadway show. Though both produtions were quite different, I loved them both in different ways. Boy From Oz is def The best jukebox show I have seen - partly because many of Peter Allen's songs were very autobiographical so they work as "book" songs very well and partly because he wrote or co-wrote some pretty fantastic songs!

It would be great if any kind of production of the BFO could make it to the UK.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#3
Posted: 5/4/09 at 7:45am
I never saw the original production but watched the Broadway production during previews.

The show was a lot of fun and i only knew very little about Allen (Radio City, Legs Diamond, Gay etc).

I dont think the show was as great as many make out, i think the performance made you think this was a very strong show. The book had major problems (things been told to the audience instead of shown became annoying. and you never felt you actually got to know anyone very well) but the score was brilliant.

Jackman was in a league of his own, you could not take your eyes of him at all.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#4
Posted: 5/4/09 at 11:03am
I agree that the Broadway book was nothing special - but the songs and Jackman carried it. The Book for the Oz version was better. And, while Jackman's virtuoso performance on Broadway was something pretty special (a bona fide star quality performance), Todd McKenney in Sydney was far closer to the real Peter Allen.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Theatrical Landladies Profile PhotoTheatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#5
Posted: 5/4/09 at 2:36pm
Our knowledge of Peter Allen was pretty minimal and we only went to BFO because of Hugh Jackman and the great reveiws of his performance. In the end we thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening and though some scenes were painful (the ghost of his boyfried singing "I honestly love you"!) it was an easy show to get into.

I think it could work in the UK with the right star name.
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#6
Posted: 5/5/09 at 5:09am
I think BFO can work anywhere with the right casting. Personally I'd never heard of Peter Allen before but saw this show more times than I care to admit for Hugh Jackman. It's a passable story with some deccent numbers which with the right leading man has great potential. It could work in the UK I think, and I'd love to see Barrowman in it (that said I'd love to see Barrowman in ANYTHING!)
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#7
Posted: 5/5/09 at 5:35am
They should get Chris Lilley in the lead... in the guise of Ricky Wong!
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#8
Posted: 5/5/09 at 5:38am
Huh? How do people in the UK know about Chris Lilley/Ricky Wong? I thought that was only on Aussie TV.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#9
Posted: 5/5/09 at 5:49am
I'm not sure if they've shown WCBH here, but I got the DVD for my birthday from my brother as we share a Summer Heights High obsession. Sister George likes a bit of SHH too. We'd like to see a West End production of Mr G: The Musical or Tsunamarama. I do enjoy a bit of Aussie comedy... I'm currently looking for the cheapest way to buy Fast Forward on DVD. I saw Magda Szubanski once; one of the few times I was so starstruck I got the shakes. I still regret not approaching her.
Updated On: 5/5/09 at 05:49 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#10
Posted: 5/5/09 at 10:12am
Are the rights available over there? Here in Oz they are now freely available to amateurs.

Lovepigeon if Magda Szubanski had that effect on you, you wouldn't want to live where I do, you wouldn't set foot outside your front door or you'd be in a state of the shakes frequently.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#11
Posted: 5/5/09 at 10:14am
Does she live near you? Or have I misuderstood what you said and made myself look silly?
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#12
Posted: 5/5/09 at 10:22am
Both actually (not the silly bit),yes she lives around the corner from me, but for a time she was a frequent visitor to my next door neighbour.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: BOY FROM OZ in the UK?#13
Posted: 5/5/09 at 10:36am
Oh my Lord, who's your next door neighbour, Gina Riley?! I love Magda... Pixie Ann makes me piss myself.