Page: 1

Temper Temper !

Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Temper Temper !#1
Posted: 4/25/09 at 7:29pm
ITS GONE ! they axed it from the us tour ! i used to despise this number but came to love it ! whats the new mumber and whats it like ?
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#2
Posted: 4/25/09 at 7:32pm
It's called "Playing The Game". It was never in the US tour ... Disney had the new number written for the tour. It is going to be retrofitted into the Broadway production during the next cast change, and will then be in all new productions of the show.
As of yet, there are no recordings I can find sadly re: Temper Temper !
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#2
Posted: 4/25/09 at 7:33pm
lol well done jono ! we must properly catch up on msn !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#3
Posted: 4/26/09 at 5:14am
I'm a bit lost here! What show are you talking about?
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Temper Temper !#4
Posted: 4/26/09 at 5:23am
In the original productions of Mary Poppins, there was a song towards the end of the first act called 'Temper, Temper!' which played out in the nursery, with all of Jane and Michael's toys coming to life and holding them to account for their actions. Tom Schumacher and Disney feel the number is not child-friendly enough, so they have now cut it from all future productions of the show, and will replace it with a new number called 'Playing the Game'. The change will then be implemented into the Broadway production, International tour, etc.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#5
Posted: 4/26/09 at 5:49am
Thanks, Nshreeve. Now I know why I don't remember it. I'm afraid Mary Poppins bored me silly and I'd forgotten almost all the songs by the time I left the theatre LOL.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#6
Posted: 4/26/09 at 6:11am
Its the number that scared the life out of all the little kids and the one that caused the newspapers to have a field day.
Cameron took the step of putting an age guide on the show.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#7
Posted: 4/26/09 at 6:12am
It didn't frighten me. Perhaps I'd already fallen asleep by then. lol
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Temper Temper !#8
Posted: 4/26/09 at 6:26am
I love that song and think it is important to the plot. Hopefully the new song will be just as good.
Mary uses the song to show the children that they are naughty and to scare them, but afterwards she realises she has gone too far and leaves. That is my take on it anyway.
I agree it is probably a bit much for little kiddies but don't recall any problems when I saw the show in Cardiff recently.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#9
Posted: 4/26/09 at 8:12am
It had clearly been dummed down loads in the UK tour.
If I remember correctly, in the original West End production the dolls appeared a lot more frightening, colourless, broken, limbs falling off etc. and the staging involved all the dolls throwing Jane and Michael around as if they too were dolls (metaphor perhaps...) anyway, my point being in the tour the dolls were a lot brighter and more child friendly and the staging included Jane and Michael sat down on giant building blocks or something watching the dolls and then they were wrapped up in something at the end. Not scary at all. I was 11 when I first saw Mary Poppins and I wasn't scared at all. This was the original genuinely quite frightening Temper Temper. I love this song and am SO gutted that it's now gone re: Temper Temper !
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Temper Temper !#10
Posted: 4/26/09 at 9:39am
The clips I've seen of the broadway MP are ALL way brighter, more colourful, less scary than the West End production.
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Temper Temper !#11
Posted: 4/26/09 at 9:50am
I personally thought it was one of the best numbers in the show, so cleverly done.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#12
Posted: 4/26/09 at 1:38pm
Wasn't the only reason they got to do is at a musical on stage because they agreed to not have it 'so' disney and add the dark elements in???
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#13
Posted: 4/26/09 at 1:50pm
Yes and go into the other books.
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#14
Posted: 4/26/09 at 3:39pm
It's gone (or will be soon) from all productions.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Temper Temper !#15
Posted: 4/27/09 at 4:33pm
anyone heard a recording of it yet? are they also going to add it to the cast recording??
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
n_les_mis Profile Photon_les_mis Profile Photo
n_les_mis
Swing
Swing
re: Temper Temper !#16
Posted: 4/28/09 at 9:19am
This song scared me in the show, and I wasn't going back to sleep in a room full of toys. Thank God! re: Temper Temper !
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Temper Temper !#17
Posted: 4/28/09 at 10:22am
Oh please that scene would not scare a nervous 3 year old, i saw that scene tons of times when the show was in Manchester and not one person ever seemed to get scared, in fact it go a huge applause, its just disney being disney
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
n_les_mis Profile Photon_les_mis Profile Photo
n_les_mis
Swing
Swing
re: Temper Temper !#18
Posted: 4/29/09 at 5:44pm
Don't get me wrong I think it was one of the best numbers in the show, and very well put together. It definitely stuck in my mind. It made the storey darker which made the show far more interesting. I could just see how some younger kids wouldn't like it, but then again each storey has to have its highs and lows. I can't believe they have taken it out of the tour though, I'd be disappointed if I saw this show again without it
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Temper Temper !#19
Posted: 4/30/09 at 8:44am
I am both sad and angry about this. One wonders what P. L. Travers would think about this, especially given her original condition to Sir Cameron.

I think most of the changes to the show have been for the worse. The giant umbrella makes no sense (whereas the ladders did in the context of painting the stars in the sky, which was taken from the books) and I dislike how the American productions appear so much brighter and saccharine than the London production was. At the rate it's going I wouldn't be surprised if Disney next demanded that all the Stiles & Drewe songs should be taken out and added more scenes from the film in (which I know won't happen as long as Cameron's around...but still).

And what kind of weak child would you have to be to find Temper, Temper so scary that it needs to be axed? It's no more scary than the baddies in British pantomimes are. If kids can cope at Phantom, which most of them who go to that can, then they can surely cope with this. Maybe American kids are genuinely easily traumatised (which I doubt, given the amount of gunfire you get in video games and Hollywood films) or Disney are just patronising the audience.

This may well be the last straw for me. I was thinking of seeing the Broadway production next time I'm in New York but I'm not sure I want to now as I want to keep my memories of the beautiful London production uncontaminated. At least Ashley Brown and her god-awful accent aren't there any longer. Such a shame they make little/no mention of the London production and Laura Michelle-Kelly's performance (which actually won her the Olivier, wheras Ms Brown's turn in the role didn't get her the Tony) in both the companion book and the new documentary in the 45th anniversary edition of the DVD of the film. It's like they're trying to pretend the London production never happened.
Updated On: 4/30/09 at 08:44 AM