Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#1
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:35pm
Why is this board so very, very quiet about what was hailed as the next big musical super hit to hit the West End since..... um? whatever!
It seems to be going down the path of 'The Drowsy Chaperone' and slipping from view without any great mark being made in the UK.
When it opened in New York, that board, and this, were alive with the sound of 'Spring Awakening' fans going absolutely crazy for it!
I'm thinking we shall see another new show at the Novello if 'Spring' limps along through summer and into autumn the way it is.
It wont be around next spring I'm sure!
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#2
Posted: 4/14/09 at 3:14pm
I'm going tomorrow re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off

They need to do the promo rounds though, the daytime tv and stuff, a billion posters aren't enough!
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#2
Posted: 4/14/09 at 3:42pm
It just felt like it was too soon to transfer it over to a larger venue, I felt they should have left it a few months and used that time to build on the marketing and advertising.

Hopefully, word-of-mouth will keep it going.
Everything in life...is only for now.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#3
Posted: 4/14/09 at 3:51pm
I think their marketing campaign is all over the shop. The bus stop ads which dont come cheap are every where, but are simply not making an impact.

Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#4
Posted: 4/14/09 at 4:01pm
That poster of Charlotte Wakefield wearing black stockings and leaping in the air that is on the Underground doesn't do her or the show any favours.

The one of Aneurin isn't much better.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#5
Posted: 4/14/09 at 4:10pm
Judging by the amount of outdoor activity there is still for this it would have cost them a fair bit. Shame they decided to piss it up the wall.

Even though the show wasnt for me, this show should be a magnet for a young audience. It's a shame that they dont even know anything about it
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#6
Posted: 4/14/09 at 5:01pm
I know, the one of me in black stockings all over the tube did wonders for 'Kiss Of The Sider Woman'!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#7
Posted: 4/14/09 at 5:34pm
There's not a big advance and some of the producers have no stamina- at this rate it will be spring awakening and summer send-off.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#8
Posted: 4/14/09 at 6:49pm
IMO Spring Awakening is THE best musical currently running in the West End. And I rank it in my top ten musicals I have ever seen in 40 years of going to the theatre. It will be a tragedy if this does not run - especially when I look at some of the mindless drivel that seems to be able to pack in audiences for long periods of time.

It is funny, groundbreaking, has a really powerful edge and deeply moving. (One of the few times I have ever shed genuine tears in a theatre.) And the score is breathtaking - gives me goosebumps every time I play it - and I play it a hell of a lot.

Add to that the fact that it has a quite amazingly talented cast - everyone is great and Aneurin Barnard is sensational as Melchior.

If this show closes simply because they did not market it well, it will - as I said before - be one of the great tragedies.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#9
Posted: 4/14/09 at 7:32pm
Is this board really an indicator of how popular a show is in the West End? The threads at whatsonstage are much busier for Spring Awakening - guest posting (and the fact that it's West End specific) mean more people post there generally, and there's no lack of activity over there, but then in general you're talking about people who are both internet savvy and want to talk about musical theatre which is a very small subset of the actual theatre-going audience.

Besides, without actual box office figures any speculation is essentially just that. Until someone starts posting the DMT figures reports on here we have no actual idea how the show's doing - box office might have picked up since the reviews and the marketing really kicked in, they haven't had a lot of lead time after all.

(plus, well... is there that much to discuss? I don't know about you guys/girls, but beyond teenage squealing about the actors there's little left to say about Spring Awakening that hasn't been discussed on this very site for its Broadway incarnation. Don't get me wrong, I loved the show seeing it for the first time at the Novello, but it's not like I have anything very useful to say about it aside from how many other people at the office hated it!)
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#10
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:10pm
On my to do list, so no opinion, but A Little Night Music first.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#11
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:25pm
Mama, weren't you the hand model wearing the marigolds for the poster art for ACORN ANTIQUES too?
Jasmine2
Swing
Swing
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#12
Posted: 4/15/09 at 5:10am
It's such a shame that this show is struggling. I loved it and will rush to see it again next time I'm in London. Sadly though when I saw it the stalls were only two thirds full and both the balcony and grand circle were closed and I've heard similar tales on other days.

Spring Awakening is like a breath of fresh air in the West End and its young cast are enormously talented. I've got everything crossed that things pick up for them as it'll be a tragedy if this show goes under.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#13
Posted: 4/15/09 at 6:01am
But Bob, its target audience is limited and it certainly isn't going to pull in the coach tours that keep the blood in any musical's veins. 100s of teenagers on greatly reduced tickets will not keep a show running.
i said on a separate thread that it would have been better to run it in Hammersmith for 6 to 9 months. With the reviews and great atmosphere that greeted its opening there it and would have done very well.
The transfer drained all that momentum, sadly.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#14
Posted: 4/15/09 at 6:09am
Right, Mama - that's a sad but true point. The masses would rather see mindless nonsense like Hairpsray, Mamma Mia and Priscilla. (Ducks and gets ready for all the punches that will be swung my way lol)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#15
Posted: 4/15/09 at 6:14am
Have you seen the coaches around the bottom of Drury Lane every night. Millions of theatregoers from all points of the UK falling over each other from 'Oliver!', 'The Lion King' and 'Dirty Dancing'! The whole place grinds to a halt each and every evening.
The Novello, sadly has just a trickle of teenagers flow from its doors.

It will work better as a movie.
http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSTRE53D0NK20090414

!!! BOB!- 'Duck'- I'm throwing the first punch!
For that you pay for all drinks in NY!
Updated On: 4/15/09 at 06:14 AM
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#16
Posted: 4/15/09 at 6:57am
Mama weren't you the guy in the tight tshirt, baring the Never Forget logo, pulled up to reveal some ripped abs?
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#17
Posted: 4/15/09 at 7:04am
Correct Sam!
This is the full picture, but they just focused in on my abs for the poster of 'Never Forget'!

re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off

Updated On: 4/15/09 at 07:04 AM
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#18
Posted: 4/15/09 at 7:31am
It saddens me the truth of what you are saying, and saddens me further to think something like Dirty Dancing the Musical will run over a wonderful unique and FINALLY original show such as Spring Awakening. If it closes for another jukebox musical I might just lay down, lose all my faith in musical theatre and die!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#19
Posted: 4/15/09 at 8:16am
Mama, Bob rubs his jaw and says okay!

Luke-h, I may book a spot next to you on the ground if that does happen. It will mean that musical theatre is Totally F***d !!!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#20
Posted: 4/15/09 at 8:23am
If it helps Dirty Dancing cant be selling out anymore, theres a few 40 deals popping up now.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#22
Posted: 4/15/09 at 6:31pm
Top two levels were closed today =(
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#23
Posted: 4/15/09 at 8:55pm
I'm not going to admit how many times I've seen Spring Awakening in the last few months, but I just wanted to say that each audience I've seen the show with has gone absolutely mental for it. Tonight I was sitting on the stage and I felt lucky to share with the cast the incredible sight of the entire stalls and dress circle leaping to their feet and refusing to stop applauding until the cast had returned for a third bow. With a response like that, who cares if the top two circles are closed? This show would never be an easy sell, especially in a time like this, so the producers should be proud of the amazing show the cast is putting on in the Novello. Hopefully word of mouth will keep picking up as well - I've been sending everyone I know to see it. re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ssssssssssssh! Spring Dozing Off#24
Posted: 4/16/09 at 5:41am
Joshy I know what you mean about the feeling when an audience, no matter how small, rushes to its feet to applaude an amazing show that seems to be struggling to stay alive.
I sat through 'Sweeney Todd' 3 or 4 times at Drury Lane in its final weeks and it was heartbreaking seeing as little as 200 people tearing the roof off the theatre in praise of the incredible production they had just seen, But the look on the faces of the company couldn't hide the knowing that the show only had weeks to live. Back then theatres didn't shut sections off if a house was empty, they just let people sit where they liked and seeing 200 spread around Drury Lane is soul destroying for a company.

This happened to the London production of 'The Rink' at the Cambridge. It opened in Manchester to stunning reviews, full houses and within a few weeks it opened in the West End to the complete opposite! It only took the management a week or two to decide to close the show. As soon as that was announced the theatre was full to capacity at every performance. The midweek matinees were full of showbiz folk who just had to see this amazing show that was going to close so soon. Petitions were started to reverse the closing or at least let it run another 2 months as it seemed the business was there despite its reviews. Plans were drawn up for it to transfer from its original management, who had totally given up on it, and anther to take over for it to transfer to the Lyric on Shaftesbury Ave.
Everything fell on deaf ears and it closed less than 3 weeks after opening.
The last 3 or 4 perfs were some of the most electric I have ever witnessed on stage.

These are just two shows that have suffered this tragic turn of fate in London in the last few decades and it will happen again to many more.
Myself and many, many others feel that 'Spring Awakening' seems to be the next one on this sad path.
Updated On: 4/16/09 at 05:41 AM