Page: 1

Lion King, Blood Brothers & Sunset Boulevard Extended

mikeyb16 Profile Photomikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
http://westend.broadwayworld.com/article/THE_LION_KING_BLOOD_BROTHERS_SUNSET_BOULEVARD_Extended_In_UK_20090331

Lion King is now taking bookings until January 1st 2010

Blood Brothers is now booking through November 11th 2009

Sunset Boulevard is now booking through 27th June 2009
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Sunset' is now going thru till Sept 5th.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought Sunset had announced a further extension to September?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Updated On: 3/31/09 at 01:52 PM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And Mama beat me to it!
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Blood Brothers will be around forever. And ever.
Everything in life...is only for now.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sadly
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^ I LOVE Blood Brothers. And if it can survive then good on it for staying open.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'The Mousetrap 2'.
If only Kenwright would close it for 2 months, redirect ir, redesign it, restage it, whatever etc .
Some shows can run 20 years and still look pretty good because their producers clean them up after a number of years.
'Blood Brothers' hasn't been touched since it opened at the Albery in 1988 and it now just looks cheap and nasty.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Jersey Boys' has just opened a new booking period until 27th March 2010.
This is in line with the company's contracts.
The show that everyone doubted!
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Does anyone wish that The Lion King would move on? Whilst it's an impressive piece of theatre, it's never really grabbed me musically. Plus, it's hard for anything that follows the opening to be as impressive!

Bring back Beauty and the Beast of Mary Poppins!
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You must be mad

Musically and production wise and boom wise it stands head and shoulders above the expensive panto that is B and the Beast and the great looking but empty poppins
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was thinking the same and I guess the public do too.
Its the better of the three by far and it leaves 'Mermaid' in shallow water!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved The Lion King when I first saw it, but then saw it a second time and just kept spotting lots of problems with it, mainly the story is stretched so thin. But then I think Disney just put on great shows, not necessarily deep and meaningful theatre, just fun and entertaining shows.

Beauty and the Beast I personally think is Disneys best show as it captures the magic and spirit of what Disney represents better than anyother.

I enjoyed Mermaid for what it is, but it could have been SO much more. Bit of a wasted opportunity.

I agree, Mary Poppins just feels a bit empty. Its got better as the changes have been made over the years though.
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Agree with Nick on this, seen Lion King once in London and once in Hamburg and it while it looks good, it didn't do anything to me - for me that show is the empty one not Mary Poppins.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lion King has a far superior score and was a far more imaginative stage adaptation of the film than Poppins was. Poppins relies to heavily on spectacle over substance. We have just had it for 3 months and audiences attention would begin to wander often, mainly when it wasn't a big production number.

The biggest applause always came for Steppin Time (man on a wire) and the flying scene (woman on a wire) as well Supercala (big production number)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whilst I appreciate your opinion, I am going to have to disagree with you on some aspects, songanddanceman2.

Yes - The Lion King does have some beautiful music (though, Elton's songs are probably the weakest part in my opinion). The African stuff that Lebo M and Marc Manciana (?) did were beautiful - but, it makes it very hard for young kids in the audience during the very slow songs for them to understand what's happening. So, its the same for any audience in any show - for their minds to wonder when it's a bit slow. Lion King certainly has spectacular elements - I just find it hard to understand what was happening in bits of the show. Especially, in scenes involving the hyenas. I found them to be quite clumsy.

I find Poppins' score a lot more entertaining than The Lion King's. There is less random musical styles popping up, more sense of motivic developments and an integrated score, the orchestrations and the timbre of the score are a lot more thicker - and, once again, it just brings old and new together in a much better way. It's certainly down to George Stiles and William David Brohn for the success of the new score. I find most of the Sherman Brothers to be the tedious ones!

Mary Poppins was a triumph in adaptation. It's not based on the movie - it's based heavily on the original books, and all credit goes to Cameron and his team for a wonderful stage adaptation.

Lion King also has man on a wire, too :) Certainly, the puppets in The Lion King are unlike anything a theatre going audience had seen - and they are amazing. But, Poppins (to me) seems to have a lot more magic on stage. Certainly "Steppin Time" (or, dare I say, Step In Time) is just a "man on a wire", but how many shows have you seen where a man walks around the proscenium arch and tap dances upside down?

Both shows use staging very well to tell a story. I just think POPPINS, as a convoluted story, triumphs because it blends new with old very, very well.

Think of the original Lion King's story as a great piece of fabric, beautifully woven and constructed - and then someone comes along and stretches it as far as possible until it nearly snaps under the pressure.

Now think of Poppins as a great piece of fabric, but with even nicer bits of fabric laid on top of it to create a vastly superior piece of art.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk