Page: 1

Mary Poppins- 3.28.09- 2 P.M.

WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mary Poppins- 3.28.09- 2 P.M.#1
Posted: 3/29/09 at 12:02am
Ever since I saw this show for the first time in August 2007 I have been telling myself how I have to return but things kept coming up: new shows came along, beloved shows closed and low and behold, I never got to it. I finally decided to make a return trip being that I heard nothing but good things about the current Mary Poppins, Scarlett Strallen... which brings me to the understudies at this afternoon's performance:
Mary Poppins- Catherine Brunell
Bert- Sam Strasfeld
Park Keeper- Tony Mansker
Northbrook- Corey Skaggs
Mrs. Corry- Kate Chapman
Mr. Punch- Sean McCourt
Jack-in-the-box- Chad Seib
Ensemble- Pam Bradley, Suzanne Hylenski, and Jonathan Richard Sandler

I don't know if there is something going around the cast or what but I was quite shocked and disappointed when I read the slip in my "Show Bill" mainly because I really wanted to see Scarlett but as I have posted in most of my reviews I have learned never to be too upset with an understudy, because most of the time they're pretty darn amazing.

On to the show...

Catherine Brunell was a phenomenal Mary. Her voice reminded me a lot of the original London Mary, Laura Michele Kelly. She played the role practically perfectly, she also seemed so young, it blew my mind. I will admit though I missed some little things Ashley did, I was expected them and then they never came, I was kind of let down. But overall, an amazing performance, especially because I have a feeling this was her first time going on in the role.

Sam Strasfeld was an OK Bert, you could definitely tell he didn't play the role that much but at the same time that he was giving it his all and having fun. I think with a few more performances he we be a great Bert!

Alison Jaye Horowitz was Jane Banks and at one point I just wanted to run on stage and smack her, so in other words: she played the role perfectly. She was the ideal bratty, little spoil girl.

Zach Rand was on as Michael Banks and was phenomenal, I kind of wanted to see him too which was a bonus. He had the audience right in his hand, when he was sad about the relationship with his father, the audience was sad, when he was a little snob, the audience either laughed or wanted to teach him a lesson. But, the thing that impressed me most was his transition through the show. The last time I saw it I had a different Michael (who I'm not going to name) and there was really no transition and with Zach there was a strong but yet subtle one and by the time he said "I love you Mary Poppins" you were just overcome with emotions.

Rebecca Luker: Please don't get me started on her because I will not stop; she was amazing, when she sings... just oh my God... why she did not get a TONY back in '07 I will never understand.

Daniel Jenkins played the role of Mr. Banks extremely well, he really pulls you in a makes you feel what he is going through.

Jane Carr and Ruth Gottschall were both brilliant. Both played their roles brilliantly and were hilarious.

The only technical difficultly I spotted was during the scene right before "Practically Perfect" when Mary is unloading the magic carpet bag... the magic behind how all the objects come out was revealed... if anyone would like to know, PM me but I don't want to spoil it for all.

I was sitting in box 11, the seat closest to the stage: I didn't miss a single thing. It was a great view... although a lot of the flying effects and "Jolly Holiday" effects are lost from that area.

"Temper, Temper" is currently still in the show. Although I notice a lot of little things were cut since the last time I saw it, for example: before "Temper, Temper" Jane no longer goes to punch Michael, she now just pushes him and other small things like that.

Overall, a fantastic afternoon. I recommend this show to any and everyone because it is just a fun, heartwarming time on Broadway.

4 out of 4 stars, no questions asked.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins- 3.28.09- 2 P.M.#2
Posted: 3/29/09 at 12:03am
wrong board, so sorry.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot