Page: 1

Musicals going to far??

jakiboi
Swing
Swing
Musicals going to far??#1
Posted: 3/28/09 at 10:45am
Do you think muscial in their religous conetent are goin to far? From musicals such as Godspel and JCS have they become more offensive such as more modern musicals as Bare and Jerry springer the opera??
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#2
Posted: 3/28/09 at 10:54am
Tolerance these days towards religion is so varied.
'Jesus Christ Superstar' offended a great many people when it opened in 1972 and the Palace Theatre was scene to many protests when the production played there. The title alone caused an absolute storm months before the show opened!
These protests continued during its entire 8 year run and followed it on its first UK tour in 1983 -pretty much the same as 'Jerry Springer' endured on its much protested UK tour
re: Musicals going to far??

Paul Nicolas and Dana Gillespie in the 1972 production.

'Godspell', however, also from 1972, suffered no such protests from religious
groups whatsoever.

The impressive cast of 'Godspells' original London production

Updated On: 3/28/09 at 10:54 AM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#2
Posted: 3/28/09 at 10:56am
I think some people need to get a grip when it comes to protesting over religious musicals to be honest.

If it offends you that there is a musical about your religion, don't go and see it.

And if people mistakenly go to see Jerry Springer the Opera and are offended then thats their own fault for not researching it beforehand.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#3
Posted: 3/28/09 at 12:23pm
well said
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#4
Posted: 3/28/09 at 1:48pm
People have their priorities all wrong. Why do people spend so much time being offended by people saying things they don't believe in, instead of being grateful that we live in a country where people are free to believe those things and talk about it without fear of reprisal? Not all countries have that luxury, and it's absolutely pathetic that people are so self-centred as to believe their right to not be offended is more important than everyone's right to freedom of thought, speech, and belief. :/
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#5
Posted: 3/28/09 at 4:03pm
Quite right- there are so many things that deserve being offended about- environment, poverty etc, that it seems absurd to get wound up about something someone said.

If anything, musicals are getting tamer at the moment- who would dare to produce a new show called Sweeney Todd these days- or Pacific Overtures, or The Capeman or a proper staging of a recognized masterpiece like Parade?

It's froth all the way till the economy brightens up!
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Musicals going to far??#6
Posted: 3/28/09 at 4:08pm
jakiboi, with the best will in the world, STOP ASKING PEOPLE ON MESSAGE BOARDS TO DO YOUR UNIVERSITY ESSAY FOR YOU. You've asked numerous questions about religion and musicals repeatedly on both the West End and Broadway boards and owned up that you're doing it for your degree, and you really should have your own opinion to write your work.

With that said, I think it's very difficult to go "too far" with religious content, particularly in musicals which aren't exactly the most challenging of theatrical pieces (as much as I love them).

Bare is far from controversial really. The characters do all the stereotypical things American teenagers in fiction do, they just happen to do it at a Catholic school; there is nothing particularly shocking about the school's condemnation of homosexuality as it's tradition in Christianity, and to get wound up over it would be vaguely hypocritical if you ask me. I'm not a fan of the show (some lovely musical moments amidst a lot of dross) but it does "tell it like it is" to an extent, even if it is in a UK Living Film of the Week style.

And Jerry Springer is offensive to everyone; besides, nowhere in the Bible does it say that Adam and Eve didn't swear at each other, particularly after they ate from the Tree of Knowledge...

I think what we need is a show that takes the piss out of atheism. It could be called something like DAWKINS! THE MUSICAL. Stage it like JCS with goblins on stilts and lasers and see if anyone kicks up a fuss.

(ps Weez is that Clover artwork in your avatar?)
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#7
Posted: 3/28/09 at 4:09pm
I was just going to ask Weez the same thing.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#8
Posted: 3/28/09 at 7:30pm
I don't know about atheism, but there is A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant, if you want to veer away from Christianity a little. Scientology may as well be atheism for all the genuine spirituality there is behind it. re: Musicals going to far??

Yes, it is Clover artwork. I love Oruha, she's a sweetie. :3
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#9
Posted: 3/28/09 at 9:38pm
What constitutes "going too far" is a purely subjective matter. Personally I don't believe there is such a thing as going too far as I don't believe in censorship. Anyone who does not wish to see something they think will offend their sensibility has the right to choose not to go to see it. They do not have the right to tell someone else they do not have the right to see it or the right to tell a writer they do not have the right to write it. (Hope that makes sense - it's very late and I'm half aslepp. LOL)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 3/29/09 at 09:38 PM
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Musicals going to far??#10
Posted: 3/28/09 at 10:47pm
I personally dont agree with religious musicals, I think, especially in modern England, they shouldn't be forcing it into are theatres, however, I do not protest, or try to cause trouble, I just dont go and see it, as it is only my opinion, and up til now, I have kept them to myself, and I suggest that you do the same, as I know some people would be insulted by my opinion, as we are still a Church Of England country of course, which I yet again dont agree with, but I could go into this for YEARS and this board is no place for me to do it!