Page: 1

Ashleigh Gray

lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ashleigh Gray#1
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:16am
Has anyone seen this girl? I fear sounding like a Wicked obsessive but she's awesome.

My brother and I took my Mum to Wicked on Saturday as her M's day treat. When I went to pick the tickets up, I was gutted to see that Ashleigh Gray was going to be playing Elphaba as I hadn't thought to check Kerry Ellis' appearance dates. I don't know why, because as much as I like Kerry's voice, the nasal US accent does my nut in and she has a tendency to go through the motions and not hold the big notes. The last couple of times I saw the show, Defying Gravity was a massive anticlimax. Anyway, I just had the idea in my head that the standby just wouldn't be the same.

Forget it. This girl made it feel like I was watching the show for the first time. Her voice is just incredible and she's an excellent actress. She did absolutely everything right. Defying Gravity was like a brilliantly lit theatrical orgasm, and even her No Good Deed blew Kerry's out of the water. My mother cried throughout most of the show... with joy, I hasten to add.

Seriously, next time you see Wicked, try to get Ashleigh Gray. She's even better than Alexia Khadime.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ashleigh Gray#2
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:56am
I haven't seen Ashleigh but I saw Cassidy Janson when she was understudy and was blown away. I always remember that there are so many talented people that a show like Wicked can have 3 excellent Elphabas and Galindas.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ashleigh Gray#2
Posted: 3/23/09 at 8:31am
Was at Wicked on Saturday as well LP. Front row, right in the middle!.

Wasn't Ashleigh completely fierce? Defying Gravity was the best I've ever seen it, and totally agree - her NGD put Kerry to shame.

I'm going back at the end of April just to see Ashleigh!!
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ashleigh Gray#3
Posted: 3/23/09 at 8:37am
She was just incredible. Were you at the matinee? I was in row F. I wanted to record DG and NGD, but the BO did me a favour and I'd got the seats really cheap so I thought if I got caught, it really wouldn't look good and I'd be too ashamed to show my face again.

Did you notice they seem to have pulled their socks up, lighting wise? The first time I saw it, I thought the lighting on Defying Gravity was breathtaking. Every other time I went, it didn't look as great and I thought maybe I'd imagined it. On Saturday, it looked awesome again. It was just perfect and my little mum absolutely loved it.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ashleigh Gray#4
Posted: 3/23/09 at 8:42am
Evening show. Did you line up in the morning? I was a fangirl for the day and got in line at 6:30am :)

Totally agree about the lighting as well. The entire show seemed to have had a burst of fresh air, maybe because Kerry wasn't on.

DG was incredible, especially from where I was sitting :)
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ashleigh Gray#5
Posted: 3/23/09 at 9:25am
I would never queue... I've heard such horror stories and I really can't be bothered. I kind of abused my position to get seats at that price, and because it was a pressie for my mum, I actually booked them about two weeks ago.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ashleigh Gray#6
Posted: 3/23/09 at 9:26am
Is she leaving in may?
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ashleigh Gray#7
Posted: 3/23/09 at 10:34am
Yeah she leaves May 9th, luckily I'm going =)

I really fancy seeing Ashleigh now, before I wasn't impressed and didn't quite understand why she was Stand-Bying, but now she has actually blossomed.

Cassidy was good too, I doubt she could be full time as Elphaba but she really held her own on that stage.

The only sub-par Stand-By seems to be for Fiyero, who I've not heard good reviews about.