Page: 1

Webber's west end input for a musical in 2010...

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jesus Christ Superstar.

BKL has apparently been barred from touring his production in 2010 again due to Webber withdrawing rights. Possibly to stage a new West End revival?

Shockingly it would actually mark 14 years since it was last in London at the Lyceum (96). Lee Mead is already attached to the show reportedly.

Webber's company Really Useful are also more than likely going to be part of the producing team for The Wizard of Oz which is expected to open late 2010 at The Palladium following a search for a Dorothy (following from finding a Nancy!) and friends on the beeb.

Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh i like jesus christ superstar i want to seee it !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well that would follow with Lee Meads recent talk of a major ALW project in 2010
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
bore bore bore.

wizard of oz and JCS.... do we REALLY need revivals of them? There's thousands of better shows out there!
Revive those please lord webber
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well twiged there ! i cant imagine lee as jesus thought !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree Tommy
the shows are so unneeded, why doesn't he get his ugly face of TV and start wring something new......which is not a sequel
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well, he did look into doing Hello, Dolly! ... thankfully thats off.

Lee Mead's off glam rock project musical is still yet to have any official funding or schedule.
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
What prompted this thread now, then?

But is Lee Mead necessarily definitely "attached"? I did hear an interview very recently where he was asked if he would rather play Jesus or Judas in JCS. And his reply included saying that there had actually been a plan to do a concert version of it, for which he had done a sing through fairly recently (without saying which part). But then he said that that had actually since been cancelled, possibly with a view to bringing it back to the West End instead (tallies with withdrawn BK rights). Would he have said that if he was still potentially attached? I think probably not. And although he has been known to have said that there was an ALW project in the offing soon, that could have been that bit earlier and only about the concert. And even if there is something else, given that he is apparently taking a year off to do film course and such, a single event or very short term project sounded more like it. And in the meantime, he has been plugging the Marc Bolan thing, albeit without actually saying he is doing it.
Updated On: 3/20/09 at 01:45 PM
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
And another thing, is ALW really likely to revive JCS very soon after the Phantom sequel? Long ago JCS was a preferred candidate for the reality casting thing. Maybe it is still intended to be that. The year after the "Wizard of OzZ" maybe?

Personally, don't want "The Wizard of Oz" at all, but would actually love a revival of JCS. It's still stunning stuff! But just not as reality cast!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I agree Tommy "

A revival of Tommy with the original McAnuff staging? Count. Me. In. THAT would be worth 60 for a ticket.
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
i love JCS and think that is is ALW's best work by a long long way. I think Lee Mead would have to play Judas...I can't see him playing Jesus.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
NO NO NO!!! Lee has to play Jesus (if he has to be in it at all), Judas is a raw rock vocal, something Lee isnt. Ramin Karimloo or someone along those lines would make a great Judas.

A JCS revival would be great, but I think ALW will be hard pressed to beat the brilliant 90s revival.

As for Wizard of Oz, I just dont think this works on stage, seen many productions and none have worked, for me anyway
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
If it is to be revived, I wouldn't be too surprised if Steve Balsamo didn't do it again. He was so young before that he is still the right age now. And is it possibly significant that he sung "Gethsemane" at the ALW concert in Hyde Park?

But as I recall, without actually saying which he would prefer to sing, Lee Mead did say he thought Judas was the better role. But although I am still not convinced he is necessarily attached to it at all, I tend to agree that his voice hasn't got the hard edge that I think better for Judas. He has got power but his voice never loses an innate mellowness. A nice quality for Jesus, actually. He wouldn't look inappropriate for Jesus either. So I would think he would be up for that, dependant on falsetto, if actually up for either. I wouldn't object madly if he did do it, and I would certainly go and see him, but I would rather go to see Steve Balsamo.
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
And another curiosity is that Lee Mead also mentioned talking about potentially doing something on Broadway. There wasn't anything very specific said, and it sounded as if whatever was potentially during this year as otherwise not including a show, so that would indicate that whatever would be very short term. But could that be something to do with ALW? There is a chance they he or A. N. Other producer might think that the airing of "Any Dream Will Do" on BBC America, albeit to very limited audience, might be worth capitalising on.