Shrek

Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shrek#1
Posted: 3/19/09 at 6:48pm
How do some people already have the cd ? cause its all over youtube with the cd recordings ?
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#2
Posted: 3/19/09 at 7:11pm
It might be out on itunes?

I only have it because i got a random email with a link to it. Guess they saw my castalbums wishlist lol.
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#2
Posted: 3/19/09 at 7:12pm
can you forward this email !
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Shrek#3
Posted: 3/19/09 at 7:15pm
The whole album was played out on Broadway World radio several times, quite possible they recorded that.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#4
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:33pm
The cast recording is available at the theatre, and one might've landed in my mailbox yesterday so if you PM me nicely, nice things might happen :)

(That subtle enough)
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#5
Posted: 3/20/09 at 5:58am
Is The View on tv over there? The cast of SHREK did two numbers on that tv programme about a month ago. The main number consisted of Sutton Foster and Brian Darcy James, doing a sort of modern day Anything You Can Do (from ANNIE GET YOUR GUN) challenge song. Except they were competing over who could burp and fart the best. This must be an all time low in musical theatre.
Claire De Loone  Profile PhotoClaire De Loone  Profile Photo
Claire De Loone
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Shrek#6
Posted: 3/20/09 at 10:28am
Yes I also saw that and thought the same thing burping and farting ... is this what it has come to ! Having said that Im off to see it in June just to make sure I was really truly disgusted re: Shrek
"Of course, sometimes I get carried away"
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#7
Posted: 3/20/09 at 11:50am
It Is Truley Fantastic !
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Shrek#8
Posted: 3/20/09 at 11:58am
i like some of it... but not all.

some numbers are just very poor, but some are fantastic!

I do think it would do well over here though...
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#9
Posted: 3/20/09 at 12:46pm
always worth a go !
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#10
Posted: 3/20/09 at 5:52pm
tbh its a fantastic album ! i think that the whole show is fast and the tempo is good and its comical
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#11
Posted: 3/20/09 at 6:23pm
We must have seen a different show
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#12
Posted: 3/20/09 at 6:36pm
well im seeing it when i go to ny so i cant wait but i love donkey ! travle song and dont let me go are brill !
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#13
Posted: 3/21/09 at 1:29pm
Songgandanceman, Mama's doing fine is right. It's VERY hard to judge on how good a show is just by bootleg alone. I love the show and think it's great.

As for the burping and farting. One shouldn't be to shocked to see both of those things in a Shrek musical.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#14
Posted: 3/21/09 at 3:42pm
As surprised as I am to say this, I agree with SADM, and I saw it in New York. Sorry but I thought it was one of the worst (and boring) musicals ive seen in a long time. Yes I have even seen Little Mermaid, but for all its problems at least the score is strong. Shrek for me just didnt work as a musical at all.
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Shrek#15
Posted: 3/21/09 at 5:36pm
I saw Shrek in NY last year as well and I was NOT looking forward to a song referencing burping/farting (call me old-fashioned!)

However, the particular song in question wasn't that bad and, overall, I really quite enjoyed the show. I found the score more memorable than I was expecting and who could fail to be entertained by performers of the calibre of Brian D'Arcy James, Chris Sieber, John Tartaglia, Sutton Foster & Daniel Breaker?

I'd much rather see Shrek again than any Disney musical (that might not be a high benchmark, but I've seen two Disney shows and found both to be formulaic and unengaging beyond belief).
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 3/21/09 at 05:36 PM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#16
Posted: 3/21/09 at 6:12pm
I thought Brian D'Arcy James was wasted, amazing voice, was John Tartaglia Pinochio? if so he was brilliant, Chris Sieber had fun with what he was given, and his Defying Gravity mickey take was funny. Sutton Foster Im afraid I just dont get, shes the same in everything, and has this really annoying 'look at me, im brilliant, im Sutton Foster' quality about her on stage.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#17
Posted: 3/21/09 at 10:05pm
The fart/burp song alone would keep me away from this show.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Shrek#18
Posted: 3/22/09 at 9:23am
I enjoy the cast recording. The orchestrations are strong, as are the performances. It's all very slick, big... bright and - in some places - even beautiful.

However, the real skill, of course, is in the writing of the songs. That's where the hard work goes.

Therefore - I do feel, though, some of the song ideas are wasted and don't do a huge amount to move the plot forward. They merely just comment more on what a character wants. I would have liked a much better opening number - that blended in Fiona's need, Farquard's background and Shrek's family rejection. I love WHO I'D BE (albeit, there are some odd lyrical choices in the song: THE SKY WOULD DOT THE I's" Huh?)

It also urks me that a lot is cut from the cast album - and it really shouldn't be. I know that Travel Song is longer (there's a Lion King parody, and other bits of incidental music in the middle) that I'd like on the recording. Also, there's a great Wicked parody in Farquard's song that is not on the recording. The CD is not long, so the fact there's no room on the physical disc (74 minutes) would not be an adequate excuse.

The performances are charming on the recording - but, I do feel they're mimicking the movie voices a bit too much. But, that's what the audience are looking for, then that's fine. Sutton Foster plays Sutton Foster very well, Brian D'arcy-james plays Michael Myers' Shrek very well, Christopher Sieber plays John Lithgow very well (why couldn't Lithgow have played the part on Broadway?) and Daniel Beaker does a spot on Eddie Murphy impression. Tartaglia's vocal talent is not used enough in the recording.

I skip the burp and fart section of I THINK I GOT YOU BEAT (once it gets to the burping and farting). However, I understand the action it provides within the song structure. it is too long winded, though. I feel it could be shortened drastically. Or, at least, they could have made it musical (a la Peter Griffin trying to out-fart Michael Moore in Family Guy to the tune of Dueling Banjos). I feel that would have been a lot more funny if they did that - and much less random.

I find the melodies catchy (after repeat listens), but I feel Jeanine is trying a bit too hard. There is counterpoint where there is no use for it and sometimes the music travels a bit too far away from the simple, fun melodies that would be more appropriate for Shrek.

Just my thoughts :)

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#19
Posted: 3/22/09 at 3:24pm
Some kind of copyright restriction is probably why they didn't/couldn't use 'The Lion King' and 'Wicked' in the recording I guess.
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#20
Posted: 3/22/09 at 3:34pm
they used the gypsy reference though !
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#21
Posted: 3/22/09 at 3:36pm
Some you win, some you lose. I was only taking a guess as to the reason.
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#22
Posted: 3/22/09 at 4:41pm
The Lion King thing is very quick and more of a visual joke. A giraffe puppet and the gazelle wheel pass by while somebody does about 2 bars of pseuodo-African chanting. It wouldn't really make sense on a recording.

I assume the What's Up Duloc? reprise (which ends with the nod to Wicked) is cut because it's so short and/or so as not to spoil it.
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shrek#23
Posted: 3/22/09 at 4:43pm
i think its mammas in the mum mammas in destress
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend