Page: 1

Napoleon flop musical revived in Canada

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Napoleon flop musical revived in Canada#1
Posted: 3/16/09 at 12:25pm
Just read on Playbill that a revised version of the musical Napoleon is receiving a concert staging in Canada:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/127318.html

I don't know how many of you saw the mega flop at the Shaftesbury. But it was so awful I can't see how any kind of rewrite could salvage it. Though there were a couple of okay melodies and the staging was pretty spectacular, all I remember about the book is that it was a giant yawn and the songs had some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 3/16/09 at 12:25 PM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think it was anything to do with Cameron Mackintosh. But you're right - apart from some stunning staging (I seem to remember Napoleon's coronation and the battles were very good - was there a hydrolic stage?) and Jonathan Tunick very nearly making a silk purse from a sow's ear with the score, it was pretty cliched and ridden with clunky lyrics. It would need a pretty intensive re-write...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Definitely not a Cameron show. Incredible costumes. Dull libretto.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Didn't see it, but I've heard a 4-track CD which, to use a Dev description from another thread, sounds "over-sincere and under-written".