Thoughts for Menier's next big musical revival?

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My vote is for The Pajama Game
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd really like to see Light in the Piazza make its UK premiere there personally. Other shows I'd like to see done there would be Spelling Bee, A New Brain, A Catered Affair, or if they're feeling particularly adventurous a production of Follies.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A New Brain or Spelling Bee please :)
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Does it have to be a revival?

I'd love for them to do Kander and Ebb's "The Visit". After rave reviews for the limited run in Washington DC last summer, starring Chita Rivera and George Hearn, a Broadway engagement currently looks unlikely. Wouldn't it be something for the Brits to upstage Broadway by mounting it first - The Chocolate Factory would be the perfect venue.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rent Remixed

*sniggers*
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sam that was funny ! made me chuckle ! im thinking ragtime ! wont happpen but hey !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Hulmeman Profile PhotoHulmeman Profile Photo
Hulmeman
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
If it has to be a revival, then they should stage "Gypsy" in their own inimitable small scale style.

Then wait for the west end transfer...............
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oz: are you aware that Light in the Piazza is being done at Leicester in a few weeks?
Hulmeman Profile PhotoHulmeman Profile Photo
Hulmeman
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I saw an ad some time ago. Is it a Paul Kerryson production?
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is.

I shall be finding my way there.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OMG!! Piazza is being done where?

I LOVE the cast album and saw a one night benefit last year in Sydney (put on by and using the ensemble of Phantom of the Opera - go figure). If I can get there, I shall DEFINITELY be going!!
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Haha the excitement in that one post Oz! I have a feeling someone is going to be making a trip to Leicester.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't see The Visit being done anywhere in the UK before the hoped for Broadway transfer - and it doesn't look as if that is imminent. It's a GREAT show, one of K & H's finest - I was lucky enough to see it last May at the Signature, Arlington.

And yes, The Light In The Piazza is being directed by Paul Kerryson at the Curve, Leicester. I hope it does well there coz Piazza is such a seriously brilliant show that it deserves to move on to London.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One question: how does one get to Leicester from Bournemouth? Train/coach/plane? Not being a whiz on UK geography I have no idea where Leicester is. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Looked at dates, I'll probably be heading there (wherever there is) May 9 so if anyone wants to make a BWW outing out of it you're free to join me.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PS: sorry for my massive threadjack!!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Leicester is in the Midlands - a hell of a hike from Bournemouth!
Probably the best alternative for travel is train - but there is no direct train route and I think it will take about 4 and a half hours. Check out www.thetrainline.com
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 4.5 hour train ride is soooo worth Light in the Piazza. Those first arpeggios of the overture on the harp with the swelling strings underneath is what I imagine heaven will sound like :)
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oz check your PM's :)
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"A 4.5 hour train ride is soooo worth Light in the Piazza. "

Indeed - the time spent watching the English countryside on the train will be better enjoyed for the nap you get at the theatre.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, it is a stunning score. I've already booked to go to New York in May but am hoping to find my way to Leicester very early in the run before I head to Heathrow!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to say i watched Light In The Piazza in NY awhile ago when the show was winding down and was not that impressed...and i really wanted to be as i was looking forward to it.

The stage and set was magnificent and huge and the cast were great, yet the songs for me just didnt do it, i liked the story though
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well that's what I love about the theatre: one show can seem a gem to one person, while a bore to another.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is it bad that I had to check Google to remember what beat Piazza for Best Musical? (It was Spamalot...Spelling Bee beat it for book.)
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, "one man's meat is another man's poison", etc. Musical tastes of individuals are always going to be different. But for me Piazza is one of the most gorgeous scores I have ever heard and the entire theatrical experience the night I saw it at Lincoln Centre ranks up in the top ten things I've ever seen.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Much as I enjoyed Spamalot, when it was named Best Musical over Piazza and Spelling Bee I was pretty stunned. But at least Adam Guettel (rightly) won a Tony for Best Score.