Page: 1

Current West Side Story Uk tour

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Current West Side Story Uk tour#1
Posted: 2/16/09 at 10:11am
With this seemingly being nominated/winning so many awards, im just wondering if anyone else has seen it and if im alone in seeing what all teh fuss is about?
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#2
Posted: 2/16/09 at 10:13am
someone in my a level drama class saw it when it was in southampton and said it was amazing but personaly the show dose not appeal to me ! never really been a fan, didnt like this film and wasnt going to waste money on something i wasnt going to enjoy ! just my opinion though !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
cages/wings?
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#2
Posted: 2/16/09 at 10:52am
I saw it last week, having never seen West Side Story before in any form. I can't say I was overly impressed.

The one really weird thing was the placement of the interval. (Please forgive me not knowing song names or anything.) There was a big song and everyone was on stage and at the end it really felt like it should be BAM! curtain down. However, it carried on into the next scene until the gang leaders were killed, and then the curtain dropped in silence. It felt so totally wrong and bizarre.

Also, the Krupke song was in the second act and it would have fit better in the first - I believe that is how should be? Correct me if I'm wrong, my knowledge of this show is pretty much non existent.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#3
Posted: 2/16/09 at 12:08pm
In my opinion Krupke belongs in Act 2. I saw this last week in Newcastle and really enjoyed it.

The big tonight quarter sets up the big fight scene so thats why act 1 ends with the big fight.
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#4
Posted: 2/16/09 at 12:09pm
now its years since i've seen this show and it was never one of my favourites...but

if my memory serves me right, the song before the end of act one is the Tonight quintet which has everybody singing on it which then follows into the rumble. The curtain falls with only the bodies of Riff and Bernado onstage.

"Gee Officer Krupke" has always been in the 2nd half too... well in any show i've seen of WSS
x
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#5
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:05pm
"Gee, Officer Krupke" and "Cool" were swapped over in the film, I believe so as to make better use of Russ Tamblyn's dancing abilities. It did work well, but I don't think they've ever been swapped over in any stage productions.
TheGreenBean
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#6
Posted: 2/21/09 at 11:52am
The tour lacked energy the time I saw it, though I can barely fault the show.
Worth catching if you can, but not to everybody's taste.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#7
Posted: 2/21/09 at 12:14pm
In the show, 'Gee Officer Krupke' is in the second act; it adds a little levity to an otherwise depressing act, and taking place there imbues it with a real anger and desperation that you don't get so much when it's sung in the happier first act. When they were making the film, they were conscious of the fact it didn't have an interval so needed one long continual narrative, instead of two distinct halves. The mood of the film was going from happy to depressing, so they switched 'Krupke' and 'Cool', and lo: one big happy downward slope towards misery. XD

I'm seeing the tour myself a week on Wednesday. So that'll be nice. :3 In the meantime, I rather want to watch the film again... but maybe I should hold off...
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#8
Posted: 2/21/09 at 5:20pm
The planned 3 month run at Sadlers Wells over Christmas this year has now been pulled.

DONT FORGET THE FREE CD IN THE MAIL ON SUNDAY TODAY!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#9
Posted: 2/21/09 at 5:41pm
Wouldnt surpise me if it goes straight for a West End House, its sold amazingly well on tour.

However for me it left me cold
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#10
Posted: 2/21/09 at 5:55pm
From what I hear its because its actually had quiet a mixed reception on most of its dates that they pulled the second Sadlers Wells run. I cant see it taking a West End house- it was never on the cards.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#11
Posted: 2/21/09 at 6:09pm
oh thats interesting. Id have thought the awards, plus strong houses would have overshadowed any negative word of mouth.

Although im personally glad to hear that as I was beginning to think I was the only one who was unimpressed with this production.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#12
Posted: 2/21/09 at 6:16pm
The tour is actually twice as long as intended when announced last year. The initial success of the first part of it prompted then to book the Wells for a long but limited run of 3 months. I guess with shows being hard to sell these days they thought better of it. Two seasons in Wimbledon and the Wells run was probably enough for the London region for now.
Its only 8 years since it had a substantial West End run at the Prince Edward and Prince Of Wales.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#13
Posted: 2/22/09 at 5:39am
It was pretty well sold in Southampton, Best I could get the night I went was rear circle.
It would be better for it to not do another London Season and go out on a high rather than so a London season and close early due to lack of sales I think.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Current West Side Story Uk tour#14
Posted: 2/22/09 at 8:24am
When I saw it in Sadlers Wells, it was a sell out, but with a return to Wimbledon and tour, I guess it has reached its potential audience demographic.

I do not anticipate the New York run to last that long?