Page: 1

Flashdance, tapping its way into the West End.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'He is bringing a touring production of Flashdance to the West End and a stage version of Xanadu is in the pipeline'.

Quote from the following link >>>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7879468.stm

Flashdance, Grease, Fame, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Saturday Night Fever. Is it me or does anyone else hate this genre of musical and think they blight the West End?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Have you seen Flashdance?

This is actually a very good show which stands head and shoulders above the likes of Fame and Saturday Night Fever.

And no i don't think they are a bad thing in the West End, as much as i don't like a few of them its wrong to pigeon whole them as the same kinda show. Saturday Night Fever is pretty much a jukebox musical whilst Grease is an original book musical. Fame may be based on the film but brings with it a whole new score and Footloose and Flashdance also bring a new score (bar a few songs).

Without shows like these younger audiences would not be able to get in to west end musicals and eventually move on to saying other shows.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I had no expectations for Footloose, but it was great..on the ball, snappy and great fun.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You really cannot call the shows I named above proper theatre.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Of course they're proper theatre. They're in a theatre with a cast who are singing/dancing/acting and performing, with an audience who are there to watch, enjoy - and get a cathartic reaction - so of course it counts as a theatrical experience - and hence it's theatre.

Just because you, or others, don't like it - doesn't mean it should be stripped of the art form it is being presented in.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom its that kind of attitude which really annoys me when it comes to theatre, its very snobbish and is everything theatre is trying to move away from.

Just because they have come from films, or because they are light entertainment does not deem them any less worthy of peoples attention. In fact some of the greatest stage musicals have come from film and could fall under the banner of 'Musical Comedy'

Whilst im not a fan of some of the shows you mentioned (Dirty Dancing) i will not pigeon hole them in 1 category.

Footloose was a very good show, especially the UK version, it was entertaining, it had a catchy score (old and new) the choreography was great and the characters were accessible.

Flashdance has one of the best new scores for the 'film to stage' adaptations ive heard in a long time, whilst the show has some problems (act 1 is a tad to long) this show was an exciting, fresh and well adapted piece.

All musicals deserve a place in the West End and Broadway because a huge team of people have put their blood sweat and tears in to bringing it to life. They are separate musicals as well, Fame is not Footloose, Saturday Night Fever is not Grease etc

I HATE phantom of the Opera, its a one note show with a mediocre score which won people hearts because of its production rather than its book and score, the only reason it runs today is due to the name been accessible to foreign tourists...HOWEVER
I would not call all ALW shows the same thing, sure some of his work sucks (cats, Joseph, By Jeeves, Starlight) but some is great (Sunset, Beautiful Game, Evita), they are all separate shows in their own right.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nick & SADM, I agree with what you both say, although this is not my genre of musical, that does not deny the actors/actress do not have talent and it will introduce many people to theatre.

Any film that had a strong box office at the cinema and has a lot of dance, oh this will work on stage, lets get it out as a musical, easy way to make money.

As you know I admire the lord, but he has done some lumpy custard!!!!