Page: 1

'Phantom' On Broadway- ✰✮21 Today✮✰

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway production of 'The Phantom Of The Opera' reached its coming of age today, 26th January 2009.
The production opened on 26th January 1988 and today will play it's 8732nd performance.
'Phantom' On Broadway- ✰✮21 Today✮✰
'Phantom' opened on Broadway just 18 months after its London premiere of 1986 and was the most expensive show ever staged at the time- $8M, still a lot even 21 years later.
So far it has taken just over $715M at the Majestic Theatre box office.
It has broken and held many records in its 21 years, one of those is that it took over 14 years of it playing on Broadway before it sold its first half price ticket at the TKTS booth!
It will be round a little while longer as its only a year since it had $750,000 invested in it with a new sound system.
Happy Birthday Phantom!

Updated On: 1/26/09 at 11:41 AM
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have a feeling it's going to make it to at least 25 years.

Happy Birthday, Phantom! :)
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
...at least!
its great to know i was there for its first 3 months. At that time no one would have dared say 10 years, leave alone 21.
Reginald Tresilian Profile PhotoReginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've always been curious as to any differences between the UK and US productions.

Someone told me once that the chandelier drops much more quickly in the West End production. They thought it actually had something to do with differing safety regulations, though I would put it down to merely a difference in the physical space of the two theaters (assuming that it's true at all).

Does anyone have any opinions or information?

Oh, and happy birthday, Phantom!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was true 21 years ago yes, but I don't know if its changed now. I haven't seen it on Broadway since I was there with it for its first 3 months. There were endless problems with the safety people despite everyone explaining that it was no different to what had been presented in London for 18 months already. They didn't listen and over time there were always people saying that the chandelier fell a lot slower than its London sister did.
Forward to 2009, is this still the case if anyone has seen both in the last few years?
re: 'Phantom' On Broadway- ✰✮21 Today✮✰
Updated On: 1/26/09 at 02:18 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Great show, great theatre!

Does this mean the Phantom can legally buy alcohol.

Who of you would of thought this would of been the longest show ever?
Reginald Tresilian Profile PhotoReginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw it on Bway in previews, and I thought the chandelier rather floated down, like a genteel flying saucer.

I saw it again perhaps three years ago and I didn't really notice, but that was largely a function of where I was sitting. I couldn't really see it till it was quite near the stage.

I've always loved this show (not a popular opinion among certain folks). So much "bang for your buck," as the saying goes.
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Im so glad someone started this thread, I was goint to over on the Broadway board but I didnt want to get all the negative backlash associated with Phantom praise.

I'd say it looks like the chandelier falls faster in London, but I think that it may just "look" that way since London has a narrower pros.arch and the chandelier I think is a bit smaller. There is so much space around it in NYC that it takes it's time. and the flashing read spot does not help at all.

I remember Toronto had a jerking chandelier that kind of helped, instead of just gliding down, it would drop, stop, shake alot then continue down.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know exactly what you mean about the widths of the pros arch and auditorium in New York. the Majestic is more like a movie theatre than an opera house and that is the reason why it may look faster in the confines of the much smaller, Her Majesty's.

Her Majestys, London.

Majestic Theatre, New york.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just looking at the seating plans for the two theatre will tell you how the lay out of the theatres can make such a difference to the shows effects.
Her Majesty's has a more traditional 4 level layout whereas The Majestic has just two in almost a cinema layout popular in New York and across the U.S.

Her Majesty's

The Majestic

Updated On: 1/26/09 at 03:04 PM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I haven't seen the show in New York, but the Chandelier in London was laughably slow as of August - not scary at all.
Mazz0626
Understudy
Understudy
If only they'd add some strobe and slow motion from the cast... cheesy as you like, but it'd at least show some effort.