Page: 1

'Phantom' in London Changes...

ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Phantom' in London Changes...#1
Posted: 1/18/09 at 9:20pm
From my exposure to the London production, the production has taken on some signifcantly new approaches to scenes, characters, ligthing, and orchestrations. I found them quite refreshing and thrilling. Does any one know why these changes have still yet to be implemented into the American productions?

I figured I'd ask here because some of you may know better since the flagship production is where you are.

Thank you!
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Mazz0626
Understudy
Understudy
re: 'Phantom' in London Changes...#2
Posted: 1/18/09 at 9:37pm
Changes? Surely not!

I don't suppose they'll have done the two I have wanted a long time - strobe and slow motion cast to hide the stately pace of the chandelier and motorised Masquerade dummies that could at least turn away from the Phantom as he walks down the stairs. That's what really gives them away - not the wobbling, the fact that the entire cast have huddled down into the corner of the stage as far away from the Red Death as they can, and these 'people' posing on the stairs just keep posing.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Phantom' in London Changes...#2
Posted: 1/19/09 at 3:57am
What changes are you refering to?

They have the best cast they have possibly ever had at the moment so that may be one reason for the 'freshness' of it.
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Phantom' in London Changes...#3
Posted: 1/19/09 at 4:00am
The main change has been the orchestrations. These were already changed *only* for the London production in 2004 (mainly affected the overture and the title song, which was rocked up -- why this only affected London I don't know), and in 2008 they changed again for both the London AND Broadway productions when both had the new digital sound system installed (I believe it's changed for the US Tour now as well). The main changes you'll notice are the title song, which now sounds like the Las Vegas version (similar to the original Steve Harley/Sarah Brightman version; the previous London orchestration used between 2004 and 2008 wasn't quite the same in that the electric guitar was used in a very different way), and the overture, which has been beefed up a lot and features some extra percussion.

In terms of "new approaches" to scenes and characters, that's simply going to depend on the resident director and the performers, which has always been the case. The script they work from hasn't changed. I always notice things I haven't before when I revisit the London production because of the new idea of a performer or director, but unless you're a devotee of the show it's not something you'd ever notice.

The only other thing I can think of really is that the recording for the 'Are the doors secure?' bit in Act II has been changed in the London production (don't know about Broadway).
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Phantom' in London Changes...#4
Posted: 1/19/09 at 4:37am
The 'rocking up' of some of it may be to do with ALW always saying he imagines the Phantom as a rock star, something noticable in the casting in the movie version, plus we now have a Phantom who has a rock voice in London.

Also Harold Prince came in and did a lot of work on direction a couple years back so that also may have had something to do with it.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Phantom' in London Changes...#5
Posted: 1/19/09 at 4:58am
Hal Prince claims he gos to the New York and London versions every 6 months to tighten.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Phantom' in London Changes...#6
Posted: 1/19/09 at 2:55pm
Yea he does and tries to hide the date he is due.
He certainly did it every few weeks for the first 3 or years but Im not sure exactly how often now.
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Phantom' in London Changes...#7
Posted: 1/19/09 at 4:42pm
There have been changes in lighting. There also are many little new quirks to scenes. Firmin is much more jovial at the beginning of Notes 1; the ensemble is more involved and concerned with Christine during Why so Silent?... it's just little things that have brought a freshness to the production that could help any other. Even if it is minor....

Thanks for your information, everyone. I was aware that these changes were made by the resident director, I was just curious if they would end up coming over to the US because they have made the London production all the better.
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 1/20/09 at 04:42 PM