Page: 1

To be or not to be? To be!

hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To be or not to be? To be!#1
Posted: 1/7/09 at 7:12pm
Yippee! After all the hassle, heartache and disappointment I finally got to see David Tennant in Hamlet.

After queuing for 4 hours back in September I got great seats (Row C, stalls) for the first performance that he missed and decided to give it a miss then managed to swap my tickets for two to Taming Of The Shrew.

As I've been getting up earlier than usual this week after my Christmas hols in South Africa I decided to try my luck for day seats at The Novello. Now, don't all rush at once but it was easier than I might have imagined - I got there at 9.40 for the 10am sale, most of the queue seemed to be under 25s (there's a daily quota set aside for them) and I got the last two seats together, Row E in the dress circle. It was certainly worth the wait - great modern-dress production, minimal but effective sets, a few nice effects and superb performances all round but especially from Tennant, Patrick Stewart and Oliver Ford-Davies. If anyone's interested there's just three more days to go.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: To be or not to be? To be!#2
Posted: 1/7/09 at 7:17pm
Well done! Great seats too!
charlieoflondon Profile Photocharlieoflondon Profile Photo
charlieoflondon
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: To be or not to be? To be!#2
Posted: 1/8/09 at 10:28am
I queued for day tickets yesterday and happily got one! I loved the production, Tennant was a stunning Hamlet :)
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: To be or not to be? To be!#3
Posted: 1/9/09 at 9:09am
I went again yesterday. I really have no idea what I'm going to do with myself when it's gone. Queuing from 5.30am was painful, but worth it. re: To be or not to be? To be!

... I still prefer Bennett's Hamlet to Tennant's, but it's nice to have a Laertes one can feel sympathy for again. :3
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: To be or not to be? To be!#4
Posted: 1/9/09 at 9:12am
Your blood must be solid!
5.30AM in this weather!
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: To be or not to be? To be!#5
Posted: 1/9/09 at 9:16am
Many layers of clothing and a rucksack stuffed with a pillow for butt insulation. I came out of the experience much better than when I queued for Othello day tickets at the Donmar with only a couple of newspapers for insulation, and that was only a two and a half hour queuing experience. *shivers*
no-mans-land
Swing
Swing
re: To be or not to be? To be!#6
Posted: 1/19/09 at 5:58pm
Saw the production, I was bowled over: stirring and clear at the same time with Tennant giving a complex, explosive performance, making every line come alive.

Now I will say two words that will strike fear in your heart (they do in mine), but bear with me. There is an online petition (dreaded words) for encouraging the RSC to release a dvd of the production. Yes, I know, online petition is usually the lame expression of fandom absurdities, but I do believe this one has a legitimate reason for existing: it has already received an encouraging response by the RSC and is attracting attention by mainstream media and theatre correspondents in the UK.

If you want to sign, follow the link:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/hamlet-dvd.html

Media coverage in the UK so far:
The Telegraph (one of the broadsheets):
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/dominccavendish/blog/2009/01/19/sign_a_petition_to_get_tennants_hamlet_recorded_for_posterity

Whatsonstage:
http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?pg=207&story=E8831232382233&title=Online+Petition+to+Get+Tennant%27s+Hamlet+on+DVD

Theatre Voice:
http://www.theatrevoice.com/news/?news_ID=1274
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: To be or not to be? To be!#7
Posted: 1/19/09 at 6:02pm
I heard about 6pm tonight that they will film it at a West End house in July /August, over 3 performances.
When I hear more I'll post.
Updated On: 1/19/09 at 06:02 PM
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: To be or not to be? To be!#8
Posted: 1/20/09 at 12:25am
Really? That would be fantastic!!! I don't suppose you've heard anything about the production possibly going to NY -- with its British cast intact -- have you?
Updated On: 1/20/09 at 12:25 AM
Acaila
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: To be or not to be? To be!#9
Posted: 1/20/09 at 7:00am
Awesome! I'd love to have seen it and was really wanting a DVD
no-mans-land
Swing
Swing
re: To be or not to be? To be!#10
Posted: 1/20/09 at 2:32pm
Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: To be or not to be? To be!#11
Posted: 1/20/09 at 5:40pm
Man, if I had this production on DVD, I'd never leave the house again. XD

D'you think they'd do some deleted scenes, and put back all the Horatio bits that were cut? 8D Peter De Jersey was FAR too awesome as Horatio.