Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#1
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:07am
Now Lord Lloyd Webber has announced that "the button is pushed" on the sequel, entitled "Phantom: Love Never Dies".

It will be premiered at the end of next year in the West End, Broadway and an as yet unconfirmed Asian city at the same time, making theatrical history.

Lord Lloyd Webber said: "I don't think you could do this if it wasn't the sequel to Phantom ... We've been into the feasibility of rehearsing three companies at once and opening very fast in the three territories.
Phantom: Love never dies
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#2
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:08am
what a moron, i hope it tanks in all 3
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#2
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:17am
at least Broadway will have to suffer just like us now! :P
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#3
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:17am
This is one I am looking forward to.

The original Phantom is the most spectacular theatre production to grace a West End stage of all time, still is awesome after 23 years.

Just do not know how Phantom 2: Love Never Dies, will top Phantom as being a spectacular, which it has to do to succeed.

One gripe thought, the title Love Never Dies, feels like I would be going to a James Bond movie.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#4
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:40am
Everybody I know who's heard demos or seen bits in workshop has had nothing but good things to say. Here's hoping that involvement syndrome isn't involved in that opinion!
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#5
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:52am
Wow, i hope this does well :)
Chuck012
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#6
Posted: 12/29/08 at 4:09pm
Cindy Adam's recently was a guest of the Nedelander family in London. She reported they (the Nederlanders) were there for a workshop of Andrew Lloyd Weber's sequel to Phantom of the Opera. Someone should remind James Nederlander that he would have the perfect theater for such a production if his father had not sold the Mark Hellinger to the Times Square Church. From all reports the theater is still in perfect shape. Mr. Nederlander should buy back that theater and return it to the
historical venue that housed My Fair Lady, Sugar Babies, etc. I am sure with his contacts in the NY real estate community he could help the church relocate to a more appropriate venue and right the scandal that the sale of the theater remains to this day.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#7
Posted: 12/29/08 at 4:26pm
Where will it go? If it closes something good I will personally blind Lord Webber to death with my secret stash of glitter and sequins, just to kick Phantom's gothic butt!!
Anybody got links to demos or previews or something? Hoping for a yes to be honest, as much as I am dreading it I am very intrigued...
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#8
Posted: 12/29/08 at 4:30pm
It'll almost certainly go into a RUG house and there are only so many of those available. Rumour currently is the Adelphi.

And I don't have the demo, but a friend in Phantom 1 heard some of the material after Sydnmonton and raved. Given that he openly spoke his mind about everything else I doubt he'd be making it up here.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#9
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:26pm
Makes some sort of sense, there will be a fair few empty theatres if things continue as now but should get a reasonable advance.
I mean as he is doing it might as well get it overwith all at once.
Though rehearsing 3 companies at once is madness and could end with 3 quite different productions.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#10
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:34pm
FWIW, I believe that "A Chorus Line" also did three companies at once - London and two tours.
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#11
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:37pm
That's a tad different than premiering a brand new show 3 in 1!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#12
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:42pm
They could end up, with a hit in New York and Asia and a big old flop in London...or visa versa etc...quite a dangerous move.
Especially if somethings don't work, and have to be altered in the preview stage, ALW will be flying all over the world to fix his show, and thats not good for the environment re: Phantom  Premiered on 3 Continents
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#13
Posted: 12/29/08 at 6:42pm
They could end up, with a hit in New York and Asia and a big old flop in London...or visa versa etc...quite a dangerous move.
Especially if somethings don't work, and have to be altered in the preview stage, ALW will be flying all over the world to fix his show, and thats not good for the environment re: Phantom  Premiered on 3 Continents
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#14
Posted: 12/29/08 at 7:31pm
Oh why?
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#15
Posted: 12/29/08 at 7:43pm
Alterego is that a: oh why can't it open in Australia?
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#16
Posted: 12/29/08 at 8:47pm
No! More like a, why must this open at all?
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#17
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:19am
ahh i thought so re: Phantom  Premiered on 3 Continents
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#18
Posted: 12/30/08 at 9:51am
Why? Because there's no more bible stories left for him to make a musical out of
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#19
Posted: 12/30/08 at 10:27am
I think it is unlikely he will open all 3 shows at once, I be amazed if he does, The really useful company seems to have problems promoting 1 show, if it was being produced by Cameroon Mackintosth, then perhaps it maybe possible.

It seems very apt, to want to dislike Phantom 2, as it is a sequel and it is by The Lord, there is a big possibility the show might be the best show this year.

I cannot see this show being no worse than some shows that are in London or New York.
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#20
Posted: 12/30/08 at 11:54am
re: Phantom  Premiered on 3 Continents

Official poster! :)
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#21
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:02pm
^^^^^^^^ Love the poster! lol

Something no one else has noticed, how can they produce, direct and cast the same production in 3 different places around the world at once! Even with a month between each premier, it is not enough time to arrange all productions at once! They will either have to start rehearsals and casting ALOT earlier than normal, or this will be VERY sloppy, and that's before you get into about one company building 3 lots of the same set at once! (at least one of them will be poorer than the others)
Elke Profile PhotoElke Profile Photo
Elke
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#22
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:50pm
That poster is absolutely hilarious!
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#23
Posted: 12/30/08 at 4:23pm
Anyone else sad enough to type in the web address at the bottom of the poster? Because it's a real website...looks like a group of Phantom Cosplayers to me :S
madlibrarian
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom Premiered on 3 Continents#24
Posted: 12/30/08 at 8:57pm
ALW says they've decided on the star! I wonder who it'll be... and how he'll manage to perform on three continents at once...